08-22-2017 09:24 AM
36 12
tools
    After Apple started the 3.5mm destruction crusade and now HTC, Motorola and the Pixel 2 may be following like sheep. Is it plausible for Samsung to drop the port and concentrate on USB-C?
    08-15-2017 10:15 AM
    It's a non-issue for me. Picked up a pair of Gear IconX for $50 and won't ever go back to wired headphones.
    08-15-2017 10:26 AM
    Will not care at all. Also, Moto did it before Apple. Also, it's the right move long term - just unclear on whether or not the market is totally ready. Apple, HTC, Lenovo, Google, etc. all seem to think it is ready.
    bchain996 likes this.
    08-15-2017 10:29 AM
    I couldn't care less. I don't use the port- I prefer Bluetooth wireless
    Aquila likes this.
    08-15-2017 10:34 AM
    I haven't made the switch to wireless headphones just yet. I'm still rocking a pair of Bose wired earphones but haven't ditched them so far because of the great sound quality. Maybe it's time to move on.......
    08-15-2017 10:39 AM
    I haven't made the switch to wireless headphones just yet. I'm still rocking a pair of Bose wired earphones but haven't ditched them so far because of the great sound quality. Maybe it's time to move on.......
    Bose is amazing
    zedexdriver98 likes this.
    08-15-2017 10:44 AM
    I wouldn't like it, but I'd adapt. I use Samsung BT that I got with my N5. Sometimes I find BT can be sketchy, but maybe it's because my wireless are ancient. I just like having the port if I forget to charge or something. I always rather having and not needing than needing and not having.
    dsignori and PlaybookFanatic like this.
    08-15-2017 10:51 AM
    I wouldn't like it, but I'd adapt. I use Samsung BT that I got with my N5. Sometimes I find BT can be sketchy, but maybe it's because my wireless are ancient. I just like having the port if I forget to charge or something. I always rather having and not needing than needing and not having.
    I have heard rumours that wireless headphones are generally worse quality than wired... I highly doubt that there is a noticeable difference in high end wireless headphones though.
    08-15-2017 10:54 AM
    No issue for me. I use Bluetooth at work and at home in the truck :P. I have yet to plug a headphone into my S8+.
    08-15-2017 11:14 AM
    I have heard rumours that wired headphones are generally worse quality than wireless... I highly doubt that there is a noticeable difference in high end wireless headphones though.
    You have it backwards. Wired quality is almost always better than wireless. However, nowadays with AptX and the forthcoming BLuetooth 5.0 support in Android O, wireless BT headphones may sound pretty great and be nearly indistinguishable from wired headphones. Should be a great improvement.

Still, it's just silly to remove the 3.5mm jack. The tiny amount of money and space they save won't be worth the aggravation some companies will get from the "normal" consumers. Of course if they ALL remove it, customers will have no choice and it will be moot. But I can see customers choosing 1 high end phone over another because that one has a 3.5mm jack. Maybe not many in these parts, but in the general public it still matters IMO ..
    08-15-2017 11:16 AM
    You have it backwards. Wired quality is almost always better than wireless. However, nowadays with AptX and the forthcoming BLuetooth 5.0 support in Android O, wireless BT headphones may sound pretty great and be nearly indistinguishable from wired headphones. Should be a great improvement.

Still, it's just silly to remove the 3.5mm jack. The tiny amount of money and space they save won't be worth the aggravation some companies will get from the "normal" consumers. Of course if they ALL remove it, customers will have no choice and it will be moot. But I can see customers choosing 1 high end phone over another because that one has a 3.5mm jack. Maybe not many in these parts, but in the general public it still matters IMO ..
    Woops that's what I meant, got it the wrong way around! But yeah I completely agree, I think 3.5mm jacks need to stay at least for now anyway. Maybe a USB-C headphone will be the way forward for companies who appeal to the audiophiles who can tell the difference between wired and wireless.
    dsignori and debdroid1a like this.
    08-15-2017 11:22 AM
    the note 8 has a headphone jack so what's the point of this post ...duh
    08-15-2017 11:52 AM
    the note 8 has a headphone jack so what's the point of this post ...duh
    The Note 8's final design won't be confirmed until 23rd August. But I would assume that it will have one as the S8/S8+ do. I was just interested to gauge how people feel about the movement towards ditching the jack all together
    08-15-2017 12:12 PM
    Hmmm....I like having the option to use wired and Bluetooth. So I prefer they keep it. But I'll be ok if they did take it away considering I use my Bluetooth headphones bout 95% of the time.
    zedexdriver98 and amyf27 like this.
    08-15-2017 02:31 PM
    After Apple started the 3.5mm destruction crusade and now HTC, Motorola and the Pixel 2 may be following like sheep. Is it plausible for Samsung to drop the port and concentrate on USB-C?
    Perhaps it would compel Samsung to keep it, for competitive differentiation.
    rsmin likes this.
    08-15-2017 02:36 PM
    If they came out with a set of Bluetooth 5 headphones, that would help ease the pain.
    08-15-2017 03:46 PM
    The Note 8's final design won't be confirmed until 23rd August. But I would assume that it will have one as the S8/S8+ do. I was just interested to gauge how people feel about the movement towards ditching the jack all together
    True. But all the leaks and preorder cases suggest there will be one. My car doesn't have Bluetooth, so I prefer aux. Sure there are Bluetooth aux adaptors, but I'm fine with the less expensive aux cable.
    08-16-2017 04:23 AM
    Can't stand Google. Mocked at iPhone for ditching the 3.5mm when launching Pixel, then immediately followed in Pixel 2.
    gregg6942 likes this.
    08-16-2017 04:46 AM
    Can't stand Google. Mocked at iPhone for ditching the 3.5mm when launching Pixel, then immediately followed in Pixel 2.
    Haha yeah seems rather hypocritical. I'm guessing the manufacturers are seeing the benefits of dropping the jack. More space and lower cost per unit maybe?
    08-16-2017 07:50 AM
    Kind of like when Samsung mocked the wall huggers vs their replaceable batteries...
    08-16-2017 08:27 AM
    Well since that's not gonna happen, I won't feel any type of way.
    08-18-2017 09:19 AM
    Nope, it's not just you. BT can be sketch with the most recent and up to date devices. Wired is definitely always the best option if you can, even if you don't like it. That, and I agree about the charging issue. I need my ports separate, and talk hands-free simultaneously.
    Katrina White1 likes this.
    08-18-2017 09:23 AM
    Having options is always a better selling point.
    08-18-2017 10:56 AM
    Non-issue for me. I use the jaybird x299 wireless at the gym and have no problem.
    08-18-2017 08:14 PM
    My car does not have BT, so for that I would not be happy. And while I do have a pretty decent pair of BT headphones for home use, I much prefer the sound of wired. I also loathe having yet another piece of technology to keep charged :/
    08-18-2017 08:22 PM
36 12