Samsung you're in serious trouble if you think people will pay $1000 for a phone

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I think there will be deals on it after a couple months just like the S8 and S8 Plus. Pricing it too high for this big screen phone and people can choose to get the S8 Plus for much cheaper minus the spen which a lot don't even use on a regular basis after awhile.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I hope you lose your *** on this one.

I really don't understand your animosity toward Samsung on the Note 8. You really like your 5, that is fine, so what does it matter what SS asks for 8? You are obviously free do not buy one and others are just as free to pay for it if they wish.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I really don't understand your animosity toward Samsung on the Note 8. You really like your 5, that is fine, so what does it matter what SS asks for 8? You are obviously free do not buy one and others are just as free to pay for it if they wish.

Reading what is being said out there and its known that many will not pay over $1k for a phone period. When a phone becomes more expensive than laptops or desktops, there is a problem.

I won't pay $1k either and I always buy top of the line phones.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't see it going over 1k - in fact I see some pretty good promotions coming shortly after release just like they did with the S8's.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I won't pay $1k either and I always buy top of the line phones.

And that's cool. I won't pay what Mercedes wants for their cars but that doesn't mean I'm mad at them or want them to go bankrupt because of what they're charging. The marketplace will determine whether the phone is overpriced.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't see it going over 1k - in fact I see some pretty good promotions coming shortly after release just like they did with the S8's.

I hope so. That's why I'm waiting a few months. I got burned paying full price for the S8 Plus on pre order and then less than two months later they have $100-$150 off.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I hope so. That's why I'm waiting a few months. I got burned paying full price for the S8 Plus on pre order and then less than two months later they have $100-$150 off.

How exactly did you get burned? Phones are always full price at launch and then get discounts or promotions after a while. That's no secret.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Lol instead of wasting your energy typing this. Just buy something else or stay with your note 5. Samsung is going to price it to whatever they want regardless what people feel about it. They going to make money regardless you or anybody else buys it or not. Wait til the iPhone 8 comes out. Time to blow a gasket over that too I guess.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
How exactly did you get burned? Phones are always full price at launch and then get discounts or promotions after a while. That's no secret.

Because, just over a month later they lowered the price big time on them. Even right after the unlocked one came out Best Buy put it on sale.

I don't remember the big sales last year right after the S7 launched. This year it was less than two months after launch. I think by the end of May they were having deals on the S8.

I do think if the phone is priced over $950 sales will be a bit sluggish and after a month you will see it slashed just like the S8 was.

The thing is that this year Samsung's flagship, S8 Plus already has a big screen. Why would someone who is wanting to buy a new phone spend $1000 on the Note 8 when they can get the S8 Plus for $700-$750 on sale or $850 if they pay the max?

We also have to remember most people are NOT like us who buy 3 phones a year and spend thousands and are die hard Spen users. Many I would think previously bought the Note simply because it has a big AMOLED screen.

I think the S8 Plus changes things up a lot since it's so similar to the Note 8 except for Spen and dual camera. Last year you didn't have that. The s7 and S7 edge were nowhere near the Note 7 size wise to compete with the Note 7.

I think it will sell decent still but not as well as the Note 7 was. Not because it will be lackluster but because it has competition with the S8 Plus.

I'm just thinking about the common user, not the users like we are. Some of my coworkers at work got Note devices and I hardly ever see them using the Spen on them.

Also, it seems this year there is nowhere near the hype for the Note 8 release like we saw with the Note 7. People just don't see as pumped up about it even though the specs and design have been known a month now. From reading the S8 Plus forum, many people are sticking with the S8 Plus until the price drops or unless it totally blows the S8 Plus out of the water.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Because, just over a month later they lowered the price big time on them. Even right after the unlocked one came out Best Buy put it on sale.

I don't remember the big sales last year right after the S7 launched. This year it was less than two months after launch. I think by the end of May they were having deals on the S8.

I do think if the phone is priced over $950 sales will be a bit sluggish and after a month you will see it slashed just like the S8 was.

The thing is that this year Samsung's flagship, S8 Plus already has a big screen. Why would someone who is wanting to buy a new phone spend $1000 on the Note 8 when they can get the S8 Plus for $700-$750 on sale or $850 if they pay the max?

We also have to remember most people are NOT like us who buy 3 phones a year and spend thousands and are die hard Spen users. Many I would think previously bought the Note simply because it has a big AMOLED screen.

I think the S8 Plus changes things up a lot since it's so similar to the Note 8 except for Spen and dual camera. Last year you didn't have that. The s7 and S7 edge were nowhere near the Note 7 size wise to compete with the Note 7.

I think it will sell decent still but not as well as the Note 7 was. Not because it will be lackluster but because it has competition with the S8 Plus.

I'm just thinking about the common user, not the users like we are. Some of my coworkers at work got Note devices and I hardly ever see them using the Spen on them.

Also, it seems this year there is nowhere near the hype for the Note 8 release like we saw with the Note 7. People just don't see as pumped up about it even though the specs and design have been known a month now. From reading the S8 Plus forum, many people are sticking with the S8 Plus until the price drops or unless it totally blows the S8 Plus out of the water.

Well, you didn't get burned, you were just impatient wanting to be on the bleeding edge and when it comes to technology, you pay a premium to be on the bleeding edge. Millions of other people paid full price as well. That's the way it works. If you don't want to pay full price then you simply just wait until it goes on sale which is inevitable.

The user base on this forum has near zero impact on total sales of any device. So a perceived lack of excitement on here really means nothing in the big picture.

IMO if you are on T-Mobile and like changing phones every time the wind blows and you aren't on Jump on Demand, then you are just throwing money away. JoD allows you to switch devices every 30 days now if you want and you always have the option to buy out the lease and then sell the phone if you think you can get more than you owe. JoD just guarantees a selling price if you don't want the hassle of private sale.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung will not just lower the price that quick if sales are slow. They are not expecting sales to be on par with the S8. Reducing prices signal perceived inferior product. Barring a black Friday special, don't hold your breath.
I'm sure Samsung has some high paid executives that know what they're doing when they price these.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Well, you didn't get burned, you were just impatient wanting to be on the bleeding edge and when it comes to technology, you pay a premium to be on the bleeding edge. Millions of other people paid full price as well. That's the way it works. If you don't want to pay full price then you simply just wait until it goes on sale which is inevitable.

The user base on this forum has near zero impact on total sales of any device. So a perceived lack of excitement on here really means nothing in the big picture.

IMO if you are on T-Mobile and like changing phones every time the wind blows and you aren't on Jump on Demand, then you are just throwing money away. JoD allows you to switch devices every 30 days now if you want and you always have the option to buy out the lease and then sell the phone if you think you can get more than you owe. JoD just guarantees a selling price if you don't want the hassle of private sale.

I want the unlocked Note 8 though if the price is right. Usually those come out a couple months after initial release.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Samsung will not just lower the price that quick if sales are slow. They are not expecting sales to be on par with the S8. Reducing prices signal perceived inferior product. Barring a black Friday special, don't hold your breath.
I'm sure Samsung has some high paid executives that know what they're doing when they price these.

I don't think it means that. Now if they lowered like the way LG does then I can see. LGs seem to drop like a rock.

With the S8 they ran some good deals not too long after release. Both Samsung.com and Best Buy.

Their executives totally FUBARed the Note 7 recall. That should have been fixed properly and never recalled again. They should have properly fixed the battery issue instead of just basically throwing a new, same battery in it with the same issues. Hopefully they lost some big bonus money in that.

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
so many people complain about the prices, just don't buy it if you don't want it I mean that's their privilege they lost their butts on the Note 7 and I hope that the Note 8 will sell very well for them but I'm like everybody else I don't want to pay $1,000 for a phone I just jump and with this new Jump On Demand I don't know how that's going to go I'll probably never ever do that one but I just give them my previous phone back and just start all over I don't mind doing that I'm always going to be having a phone and a new phone every year I'll probably never buy one outright or get one paid for before I'm wanting a new one so I'm fine with it. and on top of that just sell what you get on your promos to help reduce the price I don't see the problem with that. I still have my gear VR with the remote that I've never even used I need to sell that if I can plus I got a 265 GB card which I kept and a clear view case which I have never used either, I don't care for either so I probably could have reduced my caused by a couple hundred dollars at least and I haven't done it yet I just don't see the problems with everybody arguing over the price I mean they can do it and they will pay it if they really want the phone so either I get it or I don't! I'm perfectly happy with the S8 plus actually but I love my notes and I miss the S Pen so I will upgrade if it doesn't raise my monthly fee.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
It's a lot of money. But I spent almost 900 on a Pixel XL that is the most overpriced phone I've ever had and got very little for it (yeah yeah updates. smooth. but took a lot of third party apps to get the functions I wanted and most of them don't work that well). I am getting the Note. I'll get a couple hundred bucks trade in on the Pixel which will help knock the payments down for a while, and a free wireless charger since my older one is crap. I am not rich. I saved for this, to pay off the Pixel, have the tax money for the Note. etc.
If you don't want to pay for it, no problem. Don't.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Should have bought it through Best Buy. I Pre-ordered mine as well, but they gave me a hundred off both mine and my wife's S8 pluses. There's deals to be had, even at launch if you don't go through your carrier.