Unlocked Note 8 or AT&T carrier one from AT&T?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
You will not have wifi calling. ATT only enable that on AT&T phones. I think that's it.

Only thing you will gain is not having all AT&T bloat on the unlocked phone. U have to decide what is more important for you. For me, I need to have wifi calling.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
You will not have wifi calling. ATT only enable that on AT&T phones. I think that's it.

Only thing you will gain is not having all AT&T bloat on the unlocked phone. U have to decide what is more important for you. For me, I need to have wifi calling.

Yeah, I’ve never used the wifi calling. I believe you have to activate that too. So I know I don’t have it. So getting the unlocked maybe a better idea then.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I’ve never used the wifi calling. I believe you have to activate that too. So I know I don’t have it. So getting the unlocked maybe a better idea then.
I never thought WiFi calling was a big deal until I had a device that supported it, and then I realized how helpful and necessary it was for me... FWIW, I did ask a couple CSR in support chats if they would support the WiFi calling feature on a direct from factory unlocked device, and they said as long as the device is supported by AT&T's network, it should work.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

No WiFi calling or VoLTE / HD Voice (IIRC).

CTREV21

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Never used wifi calling. I use straight talk on the AT&T network. Wonder if that would still work with unlocked version. Screw the Bloat!

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Unlocked version means no HD/Volte, as pointed out above. What that means in real terms:

No HD voice, possibly an issue if using a tower that is having 3G issues
No wifi calling - a big deal for some people who live in a low reception area
No video calling - many ways around this, have not seen too many people actual use this because of the limitations

With some connectivity/phone issues the support can be limited. If you travel internationally or want freedom to swap carriers at random, get the unlocked. Otherwise the carrier software enhanced version will be a better choice.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone as a phone maybe three times a month. my usage is tied to everything else with web text and email being the most important since it's my business phone.

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Just unlocked my ATT Note 8 am I correct that only lets it work on ATT and Tmobile? Will not work Verizon and Sprint?

thanks

pavvento

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the unlocked version and can't get visual voicemail to work. The rep I chatted with said she provisioned my line for it as the note but I'm going to call in tomorrow.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Are you using the ATT visual vm app?? Thats the only way it will work on an unlocked phone vs integrated in the phone app on an ATT locked version. The ATT visual voicemail app works fine on my unlocked S8Plus.

I have the unlocked version and can't get visual voicemail to work. The rep I chatted with said she provisioned my line for it as the note but I'm going to call in tomorrow.

Ken in CA

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
Upgraded to an unlocked Note 8 from an ATT S7 Edge. After data transfer, I noted that the visual vicemail app did not transfer over. I searched for the app in the Google store but could not find it. Any help is appreciated.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded to an unlocked Note 8 from an ATT S7 Edge. After data transfer, I noted that the visual vicemail app did not transfer over. I searched for the app in the Google store but could not find it. Any help is appreciated.

As far as I know, that's another carrier-specific feature to add to the list of "things only available on carrier models". You'd have to get the installer from AT&T and I don't know if they will provide it for phones they don't sell themselves.

pavvento

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the ATT visual vm app?? Thats the only way it will work on an unlocked phone vs integrated in the phone app on an ATT locked version. The ATT visual voicemail app works fine on my unlocked S8Plus.
Thanks! Just downloaded it by searching for visual voicemail and it works great!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair