Anyone else waiting for Apple to reveal the iPhone 8 before buying the Note 8?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting to see what the next iPhone is like. The reason? Because it would be silly to ignore it. I want whatever device is going to work best for me and fit in my life the best. That might be the iPhone. It might be the Note 8. It might be neither and I stick with my S8+.

Or I end up with 2 Pixel 2's. Or a V30.

Fanboys dismiss devices made by other OEM's offhand. I'm not a fanboy.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much what gpatrick said. I left when the Note 5 came out due to battery and sd card, and figured it was as good of time as any to try the iphone again, which is what I had prior to the Note 1. Came back for the Note 7, and decided after both recalls to just stick it out with apple another year with the 7 plus. It has felt like an eternity, and after the initial oh, this is different and new wore off, I became bored. Maybe going to IOS will give you a little longer of the oh factor, but it won't for long. From what I've read, much of what apple is introducing is their version of features already in the android world. I'm sure some is going to be their own innovations but much of that iphone 8, android fans have used before. Just not in the apple ecosystem. Also like gpatrick, my wife regularly pre-orders the largest of new iphones every year, so I'm sure I'll get to try out the 8. I have missed the note since my 4, and can't wait to get out of the ios world!

Edited: for wording.

You're in the same boat as me, well similar, at least. I picked up the 6s Plus when it was new back in 2015 after being primarily on Android for a long time. At that point in time, I didn't want the GIGANTIC Nexus 6 and I wasn't happy with no SD card on the Note 5, so figured it was a good time to try out iOS again. It was fantastic for a little while. It was smooth, battery life was good, and I had good support from Apple. But as it got updated, little bugs became noticeable. And then the boring-ness of iOS set in. Not to mention the fact that I still feel like iOS is incredibly unintuitive. Notifications are TERRIBLE. I can't set default apps. I can't set icons where I want them. I can't set a separate alarm volume from my system volume. Just dumb little things that make no sense. And now my battery doesn't last a day and my phone glitches and stutters and lags as bad as a gingerbread Android phone. I'm over iOS at this point. If I could have actually acquired a Pixel when it came out or if the Note 7 wouldn't have been recalled, I would have been off iOS last year. But as it stood, nothing grabbed me until now. Between the Note 8 and the next Pixel iteration (if I can get one), my time on iOS is over.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Nope....not waiting at all. I plan to get the Note 8 and the iPhone 8 or 7s Plus depending on how it goes and the Pixel 2 XL.....

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope. There's just too many things I miss when I leave android. I don't like the way Iphone attaches pictures to emails, I don't like that there isn't a notification light, I don't like that you can't customize icons and the screen. And I feel like their set up is boring. I like having an app drawer and don't like having every app I have on the home screens with folders and such. That's not to say that Iphone doesn't have some neat features like their messaging app is pretty cool, and I like their pictures that move. But overall I just prefer Android.

Is there a notification light on the Note 8? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. But I self admittedly skim a lot lol

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I sure hope so mine was blinking blue and orange a few minutes ago with notifications, really enjoy just glancing and knowing what's up

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Look at this thing. It's awesome. Plenty will go for the Note 8, particularly those Note users that had gone through the Note 7 debacle.
8ad368f08a051b313850a3d00f21455a.jpg
fa0f4a8c4b555900d9f8b22836c7f0b1.jpg

Vipmediastar

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
The reasons I would go back to iphone: more stability with apps (not necessarily android's fault, imessage and continuity like marking a book on iphone then picking it up on ipad and air drop (i do use samsungs version and im ok with it). Its more of ease and convenience with ios.

I switched back to iphone 7+ for a week because I had app issues with Lyft glitching on S8+. While its been more stable I also haven't driven much in the week. iOS 11 beta has been stable and everything is working solid. However not everything is how I want it like android. This is the boring part.

I created many shortscuts or widgets on android. If I need to pickup somebody on regular basis, i have a short cut to click on their location and auto guide me to them. If I want to turn on bluetooth or anything for settings I swipe down and this is convenient while driving vs ios you have to go to settings. Then you have things like Nova launcher. More customization, I have all of my preffered items on half of my home screen. The rest are in two screens and finally the rest in the app drawer. Its not OCD but more of a preference of 3 pages of apps and shortcuts and the rest tucked away.

I like both ios and android. For business ios (ipad for photography) and for personal daily gadget its the s8+. While I will highly benefit from the stylus I'm not really interested in upgrading the note8. I only use the camera on phone for random snapshots. Most notes I type, and I can edit a screen shot with my finger. If I need to draw I have the ipad with pen. had the s8+ not existed I would be getting the note 8 after returning the note 7. Currently I don't run out of memory with 4gigs of ram and 256 sd card. Had the note come out with 128/256gb then maybe I would be slightly more interested.
Now I do have another +1 for the galaxy is the gear s3 watch. Works fantastic and prefer it over the apple watch.

Now if the iphone 8+ or iphone special edition is mind blowing and allow widgets native similar to the app WORKFLOW and has a pen or smart connections like ipad pro then I would consider it.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
^ Yeah, I'm sure there will be awesome phones released this fall, but none will be a Note. The Note (even with some compromise) is in a class by itself

terobaje

Tero Baje
Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
One thing you could really do is pre-order a Note 8 today. It won't be delivered until 9/15. Apple, I'm sure, will have their event before then. If, after the event, you think you like the new iPhone better then cancel the preorder.

Liskrig

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
So I purchased an unlocked iPhone 6 plus when it was launched. Used it for quite a while exclusively, and then when I got my OnePlus One I switched between the two, then eventually got sick of the laggy camera on the OPO and stuck with the iPhone until the Galaxy s7 was released, I jumped on that and absolutely LOVED IT.

I recently dusted off the iPhone again, threw my SIM into it and used it... That lasted for 1 full day. Things I took for granted on Android were just missing or poorly implemented. Google Assistant, custom keyboard, faster auto-focus, Podcast Addict, sharing between apps, Gmail experience... I gave it a good shot to answer the OPs question and I'm looking at either the s8 or Note 8 currently and personally not considering an iPhone anytime soon based on my usage.

It works for a lot of people though who just want a simple phone that is reliable, and I have no issue recommending it to family and friends who want my advice.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, I was going to wait to see what the iPhone, V30 and Pixel XL 2 had to offer, but Samsung wisely made their offer to former Note 7 owners and that $425 sealed the deal for them with me. Smart move, Samsung!