Interesting article in battery life.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
From that article:

D.J. Koh was asked why the battery capacity of the Note 8 was reduced to 3300mAh, 200 mAh less than the S8+ units. He responded: “There are some reasons why we can reduce the battery capacity. One of them is the 10-nanometer processor that has enhanced the phone’s power efficiency by 30%. Users are also allowed to adjust their battery use based on their smartphone use patterns, which increases battery efficiency overall. Now I can guarantee battery safety. The phone will maintain more than 95 percent of battery capacity even after two years of use.”

If what Koh says is accurate, the ~6% smaller battery capacity shouldn’t be much of an issue as the device is 30% more efficient overall than the Note 7!

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Well the interviewer was asking why is it smaller than the s8+ not the note 7, s8+ has also a 10 nm processor and also claim 95% battery capacity after 2 years so note 8 is no more efficient than s8+ the only reason why it is smaller is to make room for the s-pen

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
After selling my kidney for the Note 8, 95% over 2 years sounds good. I don't plan on buying another phone for a while.

Cherries01

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well the interviewer was asking why is it smaller than the s8+ not the note 7, s8+ has also a 10 nm processor and also claim 95% battery capacity after 2 years so note 8 is no more efficient than s8+ the only reason why it is smaller is to make room for the s-pen
yeh agreed, make room for the Spen and I think the dual camera set up might take some space too.

mobilem1

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
My only concern with Koh's statements is that he was the same person promoting how great Bixby was going to be with the launch of the s8. I even remember before the s6 launched how samsung was promoting how great touchwiz was going to be optimized and how even though the s6 had a sealed battery that was smaller than the s5 it would still last long because of software optimization. My sister in law had an s6 back then and after about 6 to 8 months she had to charge her phone twice a day or it would be dead by the end of her work day. Therefore, I'm really concerned that Samsung decreased the size of the battery for the note 8. The note 8 has a larger screen and more ram which will require more juice to run, not to mention the spen software and other new hardware options which could also tax the battery more than with the s8 plus. It really should have received a larger battery even if it made the phone somewhat wider or thicker.
I think the s8 plus is really a better buy unless you just have to have the spen. I also find it really interesting that you can no longer buy a s8 plus from target's website, att's website, Samsung's direct website, and a few other websites. Is Samsung worried that the s8 plus will hurt preorder sales of the note 8 because they're too close to each other?

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I will probably order it... But dreading looking through the forums later to stop this and that working to save battery. It seems it will have less battery life than S7 plus that's what I have now and in most cases that almost gets me through the day

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Let's not forget the 2nd camera module also takes space.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

There could be other efficiencies taking place. The s6e got much worse battery life than the note 5. In my experience, around half. Yet both have the same processor.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
With the added software and smaller battery, it's NOT going to have better battery life then the S8+. Maybe almost as good, but not better.

RobSteal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I like the battery maintaining 95% capacity after 2 years of use, AND he guarantees safety. Nice...

I call BS. How is that even possible? Lithium batteries typically have roughly 300-500 recharge cycles at 100% capacity before they degrade.

If you charge your phone everyday for 2 years, you would definitely exceed that amount.

How does Samsung claim this? What's difference about the batteries they use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke