Buying unlocked version

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
This is the first time Samsung released unlocked version in US on the first day of pre-order. Is there an advantage buying unlocked version? Can we expect better battery life (no carrier bloat ware) and updates for a longer time?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not really... Less bloatware, yes, but updatewise, might even be worse. Historically, US Carriers (not all of them, obviously) have released security patches before they hit the US Unlocked version.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Advantage is it's unlocked and works on all USA carriers. It doesn't have carrier additions. Battery life depends... If you are in an area of very weak signal then carrier model can use wfc assuming you have wifi, unlocked model can't and might have a significant battery drain. You can disable virtually any app with package disabler

Disadvantage is that it has limitations over the carrier models, historically slower updates, carriers would provide limited support for connectivity issues, features like wfc might not work, you won't be able to get a replacement sent out next day, you might not be able to get carrier issuance

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I might consider the unlocked version for the Note 9 if Samsung continues to update the s8 and Note 8 unlocked version in a timely matter.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I bought the S8+ for TMO direct from Samsung. I had some problems getting the phone unlocked for a trip I was going to take. after about 2 weeks of calling customer service I was finally able to get it unlocked. This time am going to try the unlocked Note 8, so I don't have to go through that hassle again.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I was going to get the unlocked but decided to go with AT&T branded because of the Wifi calling since service is spotty for me sometimes and Wifi calling helps. It does **** me off that I have to do this because of AT&T. Oh, well. That being said - since the phone is paid for - isn't AT&T obligated to unlock the phone for you upon request soon after release? Doesn't help if you're trying to use that phone on Verizon, though, since it won't have CDMA. Ugh...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was going to get the unlocked but decided to go with AT&T branded because of the Wifi calling since service is spotty for me sometimes and Wifi calling helps. It does **** me off that I have to do this because of AT&T. Oh, well. That being said - since the phone is paid for - isn't AT&T obligated to unlock the phone for you upon request soon after release? Doesn't help if you're trying to use that phone on Verizon, though, since it won't have CDMA. Ugh...

It actually does have CDMA physically but disabled by software. Most likely it will be like the s8 and you can flash the unlocked software or Verizon software to get it to work on Verizon.

e3ee089de4c89a7e3a026722a749f9f3.jpg

Airmaxxx

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
In theory I should be able to take my active AT&T SIM out of my S7 edge (completely paid off) and place it in my unlocked Note 8 for service, right? Does AT&T charge an activation fee if I do this? Does AT&T need to get involved at all when I swap the SIM? Thanks.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
In theory I should be able to take my active AT&T SIM out of my S7 edge (completely paid off) and place it in my unlocked Note 8 for service, right? Does AT&T charge an activation fee if I do this? Does AT&T need to get involved at all when I swap the SIM? Thanks.

It's actually better to have your SIM already activated as you have; just pop it in the unlocked Note8 and it will work immediately. Activating a new SIM may prove more difficult.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
You all are saying unlocked versions get slower updates? I don't understand this concept because when Samsung sends out an update, the carrier has to make adjustments to the updates specific to the carriers services before its sent out to their customers devices which takes more time. If it's sent out directly from Samsung to unlocked phones without the carriers touching them, wouldn't unlocked devices get them faster because it skips the carriers?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You all are saying unlocked versions get slower updates? I don't understand this concept because when Samsung sends out an update, the carrier has to make adjustments to the updates specific to the carriers services before its sent out to their customers devices which takes more time. If it's sent out directly from Samsung to unlocked phones without the carriers touching them, wouldn't unlocked devices get them faster because it skips the carriers?

That's the theory, and like in Physics, it assumes 'perfect conditions'. Reality is another thing.

Yes, carriers need to adjust their updates after they receive the code from Samsung (and that's gonna change with Android's new update scheme, but that's a conversation for another thread), BUT Samsung also rolls out the update slowly, so a few regions might get it first (and carriers do get it before it's released onto devices if not by much). HISTORICALLY though, the American unlocked version has not been part of the first batch of Samsung's staggered release and it has received the update after some carrier versions (most notably T-Mobile) begin getting theirs.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
S8 unlocked version worked great on T-Mobile and I have bunch of other unlocked phones which works great on T-Mobile. Personally I'm so happy that Samsung finally gave the option to buy the non carrier version at launch. Pre-ordered it and carrier (T-Mobile) version was not even a consideration for me when non carrier version is available. My carrier for me is only for network and not for meddling with OEM firmware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12