Buying unlocked version

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes you do not get any of the advanced calling features on non Verizon phones. Also, all Verizon phones are unlocked.
I can't speak for everyone but mostly I buy unlocked version not because they are sim unlocked but because they have non carrier firmware the way OEM intended the software to be.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
S8 unlocked version worked great on T-Mobile and I have bunch of other unlocked phones which works great on T-Mobile. Personally I'm so happy that Samsung finally gave the option to buy the non carrier version at launch. Pre-ordered it and carrier (T-Mobile) version was not even a consideration for me when non carrier version is available. My carrier for me is only for network and not for meddling with OEM firmware.

Does your S8 support dual SIM? I read unlocked phones support dual SIM but not carrier versions. Is this true?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Does your S8 support dual SIM? I read unlocked phones support dual SIM but not carrier versions. Is this true?
No US unlocked version is not dual SIM. Generally dual SIM is not a thing here in US.

There is dual SIM unlocked version but that's not sold officially in US. You can find third party sellers in Amazon, eBay or other sites who do sell it.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
No US unlocked version is not dual SIM. Generally dual SIM is not a thing here in US.

There is dual SIM unlocked version but that's not sold officially in US. You can find third party sellers in Amazon, eBay or other sites who do sell it.

Thanks, you are correct. I checked with Samsung support and they confirmed that there is no dual SIM support in unlocked versions.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
but they do have a lot of lots of Verizon apps and software.

Correct - I was only commenting on the fact Verizon phones are SIM unlocked.

Also, I use the Verizon Advanced calling software all the time. Key part of why I am on the Verizon network. I would loose a lot of value in my phone and network if I did not have the Verizon version.

Carrier bloat stinks, but I just disable it and move on.