Why Note?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday in Lowes, the wife and I were picking out new tile for the shower. She had a specific design in mind as we stood there figuring out how many for what to get for the builder.
The Lowes assitant was very good, but we all were having a problem figuring out what the wife wanted.
And alas, there was no paper and pen around in a true crisis.
So...
Like a flash I pull out my ancient Note 4, double tap the screen and quicker than a speeding bullet I was sketching out the wall-covering desires of my wife.
Even she took the handy dandy notebook in hand and drew out what she dreams of taking a shower in.
We were then able to save the day and all 3 calculate which size tiles and how many of which color to get for the builder.
And, we could show pictures of our new granddog to the Lowes assistant.
The Note;
rendering electronic and illustrative justice for all.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Samsung lost me when they took away the removable battery on the Note Edge. Now LG is doing the same and it really bothers me

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait until the first battery needs to be replaced... should be fun and expensive. and what do you do until you get it replaced???... reactivate old phone for a charge from your carrier, plus the new battery, which may or may not cancel your "whatever" insurance policy (sq or whomever) and you have to pay for that all over again. it's all just a way for them to grab our money and get more from us each time. I'm on the merry-go-round. ... still want my N8.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait until the first battery needs to be replaced... should be fun and expensive. and what do you do until you get it replaced???... reactivate old phone for a charge from your carrier, plus the new battery, which may or may not cancel your "whatever" insurance policy (sq or whomever) and you have to pay for that all over again. it's all just a way for them to grab our money and get more from us each time. I'm on the merry-go-round. ... still want my N8.

I'm figuring the Note 8 battery will last, ummmm.....2 years?
Just in time to pay it off and get the Note 10 Anniversary edition!

clickerman

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm figuring the Note 8 battery will last, ummmm.....2 years?
Just in time to pay it off and get the Note 10 Anniversary edition!
I am still using my three-year-old Note 4 and I'm not having any problems with it at all. I'm not looking forward to using a phone that will lose 80 to 90% of its charge capacity in one year and be basically unusable by the second year. Also the Note 8 does not receive the 700 megahertz band that T-Mobile will be using. So I will be using my phone until someone comes out with a solid-state battery and reception on the 700 megahertz band.

anon(10305333)

Aug 27, 2017
Visit site

I have a close to 3 year old Nexus 6 that has a non removable battery and it still holds a good charge. I'd say it lasts around 80% of when it was new. I don't think this will be much of a problem with the new battery tech.

I don't see why you would have a charge to activate an old phone, you don't even have to call to activate as long as you have an active sim. Put your sim card in the phone you want to use.

gpatrick15

Mar 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm seriously curious what all of you removal battery truthers are going to do when literally no manufacturer is releasing phones with removable batteries. It's inevitable at this point, and your Note 4's won't last forever. The last phone (and first in quite sometime) that I owned with a removable battery, the V20, had FAR worse battery life than my HTC One M7, iPhone 6/6S Plus, Note 7, and S8.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm seriously curious what all of you removal battery truthers are going to do when literally no manufacturer is releasing phones with removable batteries. It's inevitable at this point, and your Note 4's won't last forever. The last phone (and first in quite sometime) that I owned with a removable battery, the V20, had FAR worse battery life than my HTC One M7, iPhone 6/6S Plus, Note 7, and S8.

As bad as the V20's battery may be, it can't be that bad and surely not the worst. Only one of the phones you mentioned has a history of self-destruction :)

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I am still using my three-year-old Note 4 and I'm not having any problems with it at all. I'm not looking forward to using a phone that will lose 80 to 90% of its charge capacity in one year and be basically unusable by the second year. Also the Note 8 does not receive the 700 megahertz band that T-Mobile will be using. So I will be using my phone until someone comes out with a solid-state battery and reception on the 700 megahertz band.
What phone loses 80-90% capacity in a year. It's supposed to retain 95% of its capacity after 2 years.
I don't know how much a battery replacement costs. But, there's also insurance. Most people won't have issues with their batteries. Either the phone is being dropped or you got a dud, which happens. If you can show it was due to manufacturers defect and the phone shows no sign of abuse, I think you could get it replaced for free.
Also, I believe it's 600 MHZ, not 700. I think Verizon has a lot of the 700. Unless you're in a fringe area now, you won't notice anything.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
we all keep paying more. that's how they want it.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why people are even worried about the longevity of batteries. When your device is paid off in two years, get a new device. NBD.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't know why people are even worried about the longevity of batteries. When your device is paid off in two years, get a new device. NBD.
Exactly. If the argument is the longevity of the battery - I have never had a phone long enough for this to become a major issue. If the argument is ease of popping in a fresh 100% charge - ok, but I've gotten past that practice and moved on to other solutions. I know for some this is a major concern. For me, I have other things much more important.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
not when the battery dies at one year and it has happened on two sammy notes so far. they are not known for great batteries. replacements will not be cheap and we don't know how reliable this phone is yet. look at the N7.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
not when the battery dies at one year and it has happened on two sammy notes so far. they are not known for great batteries. replacements will not be cheap and we don't know how reliable this phone is yet. look at the N7.
I was speaking for myself. It won't be an issue. If you need a removable battery, and don't trust Samsung anyway after the Note 7, then Samsung just isn't an option for you.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I've had my Note 5 since launch day. Never had to replace the battery.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously curious what all of you removal battery truthers are going to do when literally no manufacturer is releasing phones with removable batteries. It's inevitable at this point,

Anyone think perhaps the US government has something to do with the dwindling number of phones with replaceable batteries? If the battery can't be removed the government can always tell where a particular phone is located (within reason). Non-removable batteries would seem to be an anti-terror and anti-crime tool.