mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Who has pre ordered?

Carrier or direct?
What colour?
What is it replacing?
Bought any cases / accessories yet?

I have pre ordered a black one direct from Samsung. It will be replacing my S8.

Still looking at cases, quite like the official flip case this time.

Hoping that EVR firmware is available quickly to allow VoLTE on EE.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I pre-ordered one in maple gold from O2. Not replacing anything as I'm still keeping my iPhone 7 plus.

I've ordered a clear spigen case and a cheap wallet case for now as I'm still trying to figure out if I need a wallet or not. All of my previous notes were in the s-view case. However since the S5 and the subsequent iPhone Plus phones I've used I've not put them in a wallet style case.

I'm worried about the screen as glass screen protectors are rubbish on these curved Samsung phones.

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 85

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Still looking at cases. Probably end up with my usual Spigen thin case ala my S8.

I do like the look of the genuine flip case, but at £50 they are quite expensive.
Although I spent more than that trying out ones for the S8. :)

Anyone going naked on the screen or do you have a preferred option.
I settled on the Defender screen protector with side wings for my S8. Again tried loads of options.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I pre-ordered on the night of launch, the black version through Samsung upgrade program, but unless the Note 9 is a perfect phone, I'll be keeping this for 2 years.
I ideally want the official Samsung Protective kick stand case but at £35, it's not cheap! there are so many nice looking cases out there, so I will possibly get the Ringke Wave in blue as it seems to provide a good level of protection at a fraction of the cost, and get the Samsung case when it comes down in price.
Still not sure about screen protectors, might order a couple and see how they fit/look.
It's replacing my Note 4, which the wife has now claimed and I get her Note 3 (complete with stylish screen crack) until the Note 8 arrives.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I pre-ordered on the night of launch, the black version through Samsung upgrade program, but unless the Note 9 is a perfect phone, I'll be keeping this for 2 years.
I ideally want the official Samsung Protective kick stand case but at £35, it's not cheap! there are so many nice looking cases out there, so I will possibly get the Ringke Wave in blue as it seems to provide a good level of protection at a fraction of the cost, and get the Samsung case when it comes down in price.
Still not sure about screen protectors, might order a couple and see how they fit/look.
It's replacing my Note 4, which the wife has now claimed and I get her Note 3 (complete with stylish screen crack) until the Note 8 arrives.

If you hold off a while on the official Samsung cases you can find them significantly cheaper from amazon and Cex.

I'm thinking of also buying a fast wireless charger and I'll be getting a 256GB micro SD card before it gets here.

When they are cheaper I'll get an S view case and maybe an LED case.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
In our house it's the other way round, my husband gets my old phones.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Will anyone that's buying it direct from Samsung be flashing carrier Fw?

I did with my S8 to get Volte on EE. VoWifi worked out the box, hoping N8 is the same.

drandyperry

Aug 1, 2017
Visit site
Ordered though Samsung on upgrade programme. A bit annoyed we have to get a free Dex, that's going to cost me an extra £100 for an SD card!

Went for gold and have bought a fake clear view case from China for £5 (wtf?) and a thin clear one for now. Also just seen that my favourite screen protectors (screenknight) have one available so I've just ordered that.
This is replacing my One Plus 3 that replaced my Sony z5 premium that I got in a hurry when my note 7 was prized out of my hands.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
had to order at full whack from Samsung to get sim free here in Ireland, bit of a kick in the nuts but the way pricing is going the be I think

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
had to order at full whack from Samsung to get sim free here in Ireland, bit of a kick in the nuts but the way pricing is going the be I think

Yeah, only 'bonus' we get (apart from the Dex dock) is 24 months interest free in the UK by buying at full price. Must be annoying for those that were involved in the Note 7 debacle seeing buyers in the US able to get trade in allowance for qualifying phones.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm quite looking forward to trying out DeX but yes we don't get anywhere near as good pre-order gifts as in the US. One of the carrriers over there (T-mobile) are doing a buy one get one free deal on the note 8. Can you imagine getting such a deal over here.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Can you imagine getting such a deal over here.

Haha Ebay would be flooded!
Yeah looking at some of the deals over the pond, we are lagging far behind, I remember the early contract years over here were only 12 months, then as bigger/better phones came out the contracts got longer.
I suppose it's down to Samsung who look at the markets and decide on freebies but it seems there are various good deals to be had on the US carriers.
This time I'm buying sim free and using a BT sim, I'm usually in a contract when getting a new phone so it's cheaper in the long run for me this way.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Haha Ebay would be flooded!
Yeah looking at some of the deals over the pond, we are lagging far behind, I remember the early contract years over here were only 12 months, then as bigger/better phones came out the contracts got longer.
I suppose it's down to Samsung who look at the markets and decide on freebies but it seems there are various good deals to be had on the US carriers.
This time I'm buying sim free and using a BT sim, I'm usually in a contract when getting a new phone so it's cheaper in the long run for me this way.

I remember my first contact, had to buy the phone as well as paying monthly for the privilege of using it. Got the choice of 6 months or a year contract.

Was working all over the world then and my bill was usually £300 a month then, circa '97.

They are practically giving the devices away in the US, as usual no such deals here.

My past 3 flagship devices have cost me about £100 total by buying outright and selling at the right time.

JohnMcL7

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
I'm quite looking forward to trying out DeX but yes we don't get anywhere near as good pre-order gifts as in the US. One of the carrriers over there (T-mobile) are doing a buy one get one free deal on the note 8. Can you imagine getting such a deal over here.

Although I don't know the US market that well, they seem to pay a lot more for their contracts than we do. I'd be curious to try the Dex station but it's not enough of a bonus for preordering the phone.

John

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Although I don't know the US market that well, they seem to pay a lot more for their contracts than we do. I'd be curious to try the Dex station but it's not enough of a bonus for preordering the phone.

John

The contacts are pretty much on par with the UK these days. The devices cost much less. The deals on handsets are crazy.