I must know about battery life before I pre-order.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Enough !!! About battery life !!!

.......if someone told me 20 years ago......."Hey - in the future, you can have this gorgeous sleek slender beautiful slab of glass and metal, and it will fit in your pocket, or on your dashboard, or on your bedside table, and it will be light in weight, and you can use it virtually anywhere, including the shower (!), and it will have a stunningly beautiful infinity display, and you can use it as a credit card or debit card, and you can use it essentially as a computer, search the internet, utilize all manner of social media, stay instantaneously connected with family and friends, and you can do video face chats with anyone anywhere in the world, write and take and send notes, use it as a printer and a digital scanner and a word processor, and use it as a music library and listen to wonderfully clear and resonate music through Bluetooth headphones or freestanding speakers, and use it as essentially a mobile desk top computer (with Dex doc), and it will come with a amazing dual lenses camera, that can take amazing pictures and video, which you can then amazingly edit, and......... you can even use it as a phone, and it will even have fast charging technology.....but.....you may....... have to charge it......... a few minutes during the day or early evening (wirelessly charge it no less).........

!

I would've said: "What the H is bluetooth, social media, infinity display, Dex doc?" And then I would have called the police.

Also, how do you print from your Note? I always have to find a wireless bluetooth printer to do my printing for me after I connect it to my Note.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I would've said: "What the H is bluetooth, social media, infinity display, Dex doc?" And then I would have called the police.

Also, how do you print from your Note? I always have to find a wireless bluetooth printer to do my printing for me after I connect it to my Note.

Laugh_1b.jpg

When at home, I just turn on wireless networking and connect to my HP laser thru an HP Printer App I downloaded to the phone - pretty slick! I'm sure you could do the same in an office as well...

mobilem1

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site

Here is something to think about. The galaxy note 3 had a 3200 mah removable battery. The note 8 after all of these years will only have progressed by 100 mah being nonremovable at that. I don't think it's too much to ask that technology increases apply to battery life and battery size just as it does with other areas of these devices. Especially considering how the prices have increased over time. If apple has found a way to increase battery size in their new phones without compromising the size of the phone using an L shaped battery certainly Samsung could have found a similar solution.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

People, people, people, come on now......concerns in the smartphone community (discussed over and over and over and over) about battery life are.......way to much of a concern.........imho

And I appreciate this observation, and what follows, may be sensitive to many but I believe it is a useful (and of course correct) perspective.

And I am most definitively a massive power user on the Note - I basically run a business which employs 105 employees on the phone, as well as manage all other personal and financial aspects of my wonderful Note user life, not to mention that the size of the Note series, and the Note 8, are of no concern to me, as I have big manly hands......yep.....I do.......

.......if someone told me 20 years ago......."Hey - in the future, you can have this gorgeous sleek slender beautiful slab of glass and metal, and it will fit in your pocket, or on your dashboard, or on your bedside table, and it will be light in weight, and you can use it virtually anywhere, including the shower (!), and it will have a stunningly beautiful infinity display, and you can use it as a credit card or debit card, and you can use it essentially as a computer, search the internet, utilize all manner of social media, stay instantaneously connected with family and friends, and you can do video face chats with anyone anywhere in the world, write and take and send notes, use it as a printer and a digital scanner and a word processor, and use it as a music library and listen to wonderfully clear and resonate music through Bluetooth headphones or freestanding speakers, and use it as essentially a mobile desk top computer (with Dex doc), and it will come with a amazing dual lenses camera, that can take amazing pictures and video, which you can then amazingly edit, and......... you can even use it as a phone, and it will even have fast charging technology.....but.....you may....... have to charge it......... a few minutes during the day or early evening (wirelessly charge it no less).........

I think you would have had me at......... "Hey"

Hurry Up Note 8 !! I don't know if I can wait 17 more days....... for my beloved beauticious Black Note 8!!!!! Go Sammie!!!!!!

Well I mean it is fine if you don't want to discuss it but others may want to. Nothing wrong with that. Hence why the forum is here ;).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I will trust Samsung stating battery life is in between the S8 and 8+ (they did) and the fact it has 200mah less battery, but bigger display and 2GB more ram. Same chipset. Seems to go by one subjective view verses those two points is not the best choice.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Here is something to think about. The galaxy note 3 had a 3200 mah removable battery. The note 8 after all of these years will only have progressed by 100 mah being nonremovable at that. I don't think it's too much to ask that technology increases apply to battery life and battery size just as it does with other areas of these devices. Especially considering how the prices have increased over time. If apple has found a way to increase battery size in their new phones without compromising the size of the phone using an L shaped battery certainly Samsung could have found a similar solution.

Except quick charging, wireless charging and remote charging are the things that have progressed. Most companies would rather have smaller batteries stretch farther with more battery saving optimization to keep phones thinner.

And I can't believe people still want Samsung of all OEMs to push battery tech. Did people just wake up in 2018?

Adi Marwan

Jun 12, 2017
Visit site

the last few phones i have had (iPhone 6+, Note 7 & S8+), i have had to charge halfway through the day. Just the way it is with these great do everything phones.

Don't get me wrong, but it's annoying to have to charge my phone every now and then in one day. Hence i bought the blackberry keyone. I know it's not a flagship phone, but it fits my need perfectly. and the battery life is outstanding,which is the top priority for me.. =)

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
And I can't believe people still want Samsung of all OEMs to push battery tech. Did people just wake up in 2018?

They don't need to push battery tech. Just give a little more room and increase the battery size. No magic involved. That's exactly what they did for the Galaxy S8 Active, so they do know how. Make the Note a mm thicker - no one will care. No one is suggesting that they should once again squeeze a battery into a space that is too small. Just give it the space needed.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
If I had Elon Musk money, I'd create a phone that didn't have a battery just to see how boring the forums threads on it were :p

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
They don't need to push battery tech. Just give a little more room and increase the battery size. No magic involved. That's exactly what they did for the Galaxy S8 Active, so they do know how. Make the Note a mm thicker - no one will care. No one is suggesting that they should once again squeeze a battery into a space that is too small. Just give it the space needed.

And again, they are saying no. They're goal is to deliver a safe, well optimized phone, without having to completely redesign their hardware to please a few phone enthusiasts.

Perhaps next year will bring a design reform, well they will build in room for larger batteries.

This year is about rebuilding trust and reliability.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

People, people, people, come on now......concerns in the smartphone community (discussed over and over and over and over) about battery life are.......way to much of a concern.........imho

And I appreciate this observation, and what follows, may be sensitive to many but I believe it is a useful (and of course correct) perspective.

And I am most definitively a massive power user on the Note - I basically run a business which employs 105 employees on the phone, as well as manage all other personal and financial aspects of my wonderful Note user life, not to mention that the size of the Note series, and the Note 8, are of no concern to me, as I have big manly hands......yep.....I do.......

I think you would have had me at......... "Hey"

Hurry Up Note 8 !! I don't know if I can wait 17 more days....... for my beloved beauticious Black Note 8!!!!! Go Sammie!!!!!!

Yeah, except for those who are nowhere near a wall charger for 10 hours a day, like me. Battery life is the most important factor in a smartphone. Nobody wants to be tethered to a wall socket all day. Nobody should be defending the choice in small battery.

Last edited:

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
And again, they are saying no. They're goal is to deliver a safe, well optimized phone, without having to completely redesign their hardware to please a few phone enthusiasts.

Perhaps next year will bring a design reform, well they will build in room for larger batteries.

This year is about rebuilding trust and reliability.

They have the technology, they just have this misguided idea that people want paper thin phones.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, except for those who are nowhere near a wall charger for 10 hours a day, like me. Battery life is the most important factor in a smartphone. Nobody wants to be tethered to a wall socket all day.

Then buy a phone that has the battery you need. Not everyone has your situation.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
They have the technology, they just have this misguided idea that people want paper thin phones.

Some people do, some people don't. Apple solved that problem by optimizing their software and the A chips help propel that software. We've seen similar advances in the 835 chips. This interests me far more than just slapping a large battery in a phone.

Last edited:

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Some people do, some people don't. Apple solved that problem by optimizing their software and the A chips help propel that software. We've seen similar advances in the 835 chips. This interests me far more than just slapping a large battery in a phone.

I agree that Samsung needs to optimize their software, but we've all been saying this for years. They're getting better, but they still have a loooooooooooooooong way to go.