I must know about battery life before I pre-order.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
THIS, Honestly some people just don't understand how phones work. Whether its a kernel tweak, or throttling the processor more often where its not really noticeable, or better heat management, or even a better antenna that will reduce the amount of times your phone is searching for strong signal which is one of the biggest causes of battery drain. 200mah is not a lot to make up for between the 2 devices. Tweaks and adjustments like these can easily close that gap.

Samsung has already published the battery life is in between the 8 and 8+. That appears to fit the battery size difference. Also, any tweaks would be relative to all the 835 devices.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I am well aware of reviewers. But very few, if any, of the reviewers are active on the forum.

Why do they have to be active on the forum? They are stating their impressions on youtube videos which us, the viewer is then coming back here to relay the information for those who are not aware. I don't see how them having to post it on this forum discredits their finding as opposed to just making a video.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Samsung has already published the battery life is in between the 8 and 8+. That appears to fit the battery size difference. Also, any tweaks would be relative to all the 835 devices.

Not true. Published battery numbers and day to day usage will vary significantly. Also, not all "tweaks" are relative to all 835 devices. Samsung for example could have better memory management since it has 6gb ram vs 4gb on most others. Also with the all glass phone, antenna reception could be significantly better than other devices thus improved battery life. There are many factors and 200mah of difference is very small. Early reviewers of the essential phone were getting 7 hours SOT with a 3040mah battery. Its not always battery size in relation to SOT.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Why do they have to be active on the forum? They are stating their impressions on youtube videos which us, the viewer is then coming back here to relay the information for those who are not aware. I don't see how them having to post it on this forum discredits their finding as opposed to just making a video.
That then leaves people who don't have the device to speculate on it's performance.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
My opinion is that if you've been running up the battery on your existing smartphone, you're going to run up the battery on any smartphone. The differences to me are so minute that it won't make much of a difference when it comes to how you use your phone. I read people saying how they need to charge the phone midday and meanwhile others still have 30% of power at the end of the day. It obviously comes down to how you use it and if you are a heavy user, you're going to deplete the battery quicker.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
People would still complain even if it had a 3600mah battery, which is bigger than the s8+. Those of you who cant make it till mid day would get maybe 45 more actual minutes of screen on time compared to the 3300mah. So instead of charging at 3pm youd be charging at 2:15pm. Or those who made it till 10pm without a charge would now make it till 9:15pm. REEALLLLY???? Is that what the complaints are about???

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Enough !!! About battery life !!!

No one is defending the choice of small battery, they're defending premium design. I don't want a large heavy brick, obviously the average consumer doesn't either or we would have thicker heavier phones with larger batteries. People want a phone that lasts them the day, while being as slim and light as possible for comfort to hold and use it. These flagships last most people an entire day, personally I haven't had an issue getting through a day since my Note 2 back in 2012.

If the battery isn't enough for you, get a battery case, or buy a different phone. Mid range devices are more energy efficient and last longer, some of them have larger batteries as well.

That's a bit of a hyperbole. Making the phone 1-2mm thicker isn't going to magically turn it into a brick.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Not true. Published battery numbers and day to day usage will vary significantly. Also, not all "tweaks" are relative to all 835 devices. Samsung for example could have better memory management since it has 6gb ram vs 4gb on most others. Also with the all glass phone, antenna reception could be significantly better than other devices thus improved battery life. There are many factors and 200mah of difference is very small. Early reviewers of the essential phone were getting 7 hours SOT with a 3040mah battery. Its not always battery size in relation to SOT.
Not true Samsung posted their battery estimates that are between the S8 and 8+ and it has same chipset, but bigger display 2GB more ram and 200mah smaller battery? Respectfully seems you are rationalizing. Too much physics going against it. Also, Samsung would be touting better battery life if they had done some special Note tweaks, else why bother? Seems far more substance to the battery being less than equal, or more.

Just enjoy the device and not dwell on less battery with more stuff. The pen is why it is smaller anyway.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
People, people, people, come on now......concerns in the smartphone community (discussed over and over and over and over) about battery life are.......way to much of a concern.........imho

And I appreciate this observation, and what follows, may be sensitive to many but I believe it is a useful (and of course correct) perspective.

And I am most definitively a massive power user on the Note - I basically run a business which employs 105 employees on the phone, as well as manage all other personal and financial aspects of my wonderful Note user life, not to mention that the size of the Note series, and the Note 8, are of no concern to me, as I have big manly hands......yep.....I do.......

.......if someone told me 20 years ago......."Hey - in the future, you can have this gorgeous sleek slender beautiful slab of glass and metal, and it will fit in your pocket, or on your dashboard, or on your bedside table, and it will be light in weight, and you can use it virtually anywhere, including the shower (!), and it will have a stunningly beautiful infinity display, and you can use it as a credit card or debit card, and you can use it essentially as a computer, search the internet, utilize all manner of social media, stay instantaneously connected with family and friends, and you can do video face chats with anyone anywhere in the world, write and take and send notes, use it as a printer and a digital scanner and a word processor, and use it as a music library and listen to wonderfully clear and resonate music through Bluetooth headphones or freestanding speakers, and use it as essentially a mobile desk top computer (with Dex doc), and it will come with a amazing dual lenses camera, that can take amazing pictures and video, which you can then amazingly edit, and......... you can even use it as a phone, and it will even have fast charging technology.....but.....you may....... have to charge it......... a few minutes during the day or early evening (wirelessly charge it no less).........

I think you would have had me at......... "Hey"

Hurry Up Note 8 !! I don't know if I can wait 17 more days....... for my beloved beauticious Black Note 8!!!!! Go Sammie!!!!!!

The Note 8 (and all flagship smartphones) as summarized earlier, are so amazingly packed with technology, one wonders if battery size is an overemphasized concern, what with quick charge technology, small quick charge external battery packs, not to mention quick charge car chargers.

Don't get me wrong, wouldn't it be heaven if the mighty Note 8 and other flagships came with what I wished was a larger battery and all the 200, 300, or 400 mAh, or more, would do!

Needs in smartphones are unique to users - I thought I would need therapy when I lost a removable battery!!!

Battery size / efficiency / SOT are so important, but the overall wonderful goodness of the Note 8 specs are enough for me to overlook the 'smaller' battery

Can't wait for my beautiful Black Note 8!!!!!

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Enough !!! About battery life !!!

People, people, people, come on now......concerns in the smartphone community (discussed over and over and over and over) about battery life are.......way to much of a concern.........imho

And I appreciate this observation, and what follows, may be sensitive to many but I believe it is a useful (and of course correct) perspective.

And I am most definitively a massive power user on the Note - I basically run a business which employs 105 employees on the phone, as well as manage all other personal and financial aspects of my wonderful Note user life, not to mention that the size of the Note series, and the Note 8, are of no concern to me, as I have big manly hands......yep.....I do.......

.......if someone told me 20 years ago......."Hey - in the future, you can have this gorgeous sleek slender beautiful slab of glass and metal, and it will fit in your pocket, or on your dashboard, or on your bedside table, and it will be light in weight, and you can use it virtually anywhere, including the shower (!), and it will have a stunningly beautiful infinity display, and you can use it as a credit card or debit card, and you can use it essentially as a computer, search the internet, utilize all manner of social media, stay instantaneously connected with family and friends, and you can do video face chats with anyone anywhere in the world, write and take and send notes, use it as a printer and a digital scanner and a word processor, and use it as a music library and listen to wonderfully clear and resonate music through Bluetooth headphones or freestanding speakers, and use it as essentially a mobile desk top computer (with Dex doc), and it will come with a amazing dual lenses camera, that can take amazing pictures and video, which you can then amazingly edit, and......... you can even use it as a phone, and it will even have fast charging technology.....but.....you may....... have to charge it......... a few minutes during the day or early evening (wirelessly charge it no less).........

I think you would have had me at......... "Hey"

Hurry Up Note 8 !! I don't know if I can wait 17 more days....... for my beloved beauticious Black Note 8!!!!! Go Sammie!!!!!!
Geeze you got your 2c worth, lol☺️

Last edited:

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line I don't care how much technology is in the phone I too expect for a $1000 a battery to last all day and the s8+ is nearly 8months old. Even the new j7 will have the exact same camera as the note so we are paying a fortune for the pen.

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
No likey, no buyee! I'm guessing it might cost a bit more to build your own phone and battery factories. But what's a few million?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line I don't care how much technology is in the phone I too expect for a $1000 a battery to last all day and the s8+ is nearly 8months old. Even the new j7 will have the exact same camera as the note so we are paying a fortune for the pen.

Did I miss the memo that said $1k phones require a battery to last all day? Im sure it will last all day depending on what you do with it but probably not if you are a heavy all day user....just like about every other smartphone it there. It's all relative.

By the way, the GS8+ isn't nearly anywhere 8 months old. It's barely 4 months since release.

mobilem1

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion I think the battery life should only be a big concern if you plan on keeping the note 8 longer than 1 year. If you plan on doing like many of us who are part of the most enthusiastic in the cell phone tech club and upgrade your phone at least once a year or more then the battery should be fine. It should last at least a year before the battery degrades to the point where it won't hold a charge for a full day. If you plan on keeping the phone for longer than a year then you should seriously consider looking at other phones that have better battery life possibly starting with the s8 plus and s8 active.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe Samsung claim this newer battery only loses 5%of its charge over 2 years. I'm just hoping the battery sot will at least equal my S7 edge

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers