What, no removable battery on the Note 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
When was the last time a Note had a removable battery? Samsung is not going to go back to removable batteries....time for everyone to move past this idea.

Then read up on why the N7 battery had problems. It really had nothing to do with being removable.

If having a removable battery is a requirement for you to buy a new phone....good luck! :)

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No removable battery = no go.

Apparently not learned the lessons of Galaxy 7.

Even if the Note 7 had a removable battery, you'd had to take it out, send it to Samsung and have no phone.

New phones with new batteries weren't available right away, so no battery would be either. People had to get replacement temporary phones. The replacement was better than no phone IMO.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
When everything all the way down to the budget models are starting to move to nonremovable batteries.... Good luck.

There weren't any lessons to be learned from the Note 7. Removable or not, that battery will explode.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
When was the last time a Note had a removable battery? Samsung is not going to go back to removable batteries....time for everyone to move past this idea.

Then read up on why the N7 battery had problems. It really had nothing to do with being removable.

If having a removable battery is a requirement for you to buy a new phone....good luck! :)

Note 4. I got a new Note last year and it runs just fine. There are tons of NIB, cheap Note 4 models.

It's time for me to move past the Samsung idea. LG V20, here I come. Maybe V30.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Even if the Note 7 had a removable battery, you'd had to take it out, send it to Samsung and have no phone.

New phones with new batteries weren't available right away, so no battery would be either. People had to get replacement temporary phones. The replacement was better than no phone IMO.

Every heard of ZeroLemon? they provide replacement batteries, an alternative to OEM. Mugen and others also.

Ever heard of concept of having a backup battery? I wouldn't send anything anywhere, but wait for an upgraded battery to arrive while using an aftermarket one.

Galaxy 7, that was an expensive lesson.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
The thing about fixed, non-user replaceable batteries that is the phone is planned obsolescence. The Li-ion cell can only take so many charges. Maybe 1000-1500 cycles. but its performance begins to degrade whether you use it or not, even just sitting there, charged. So after a year of charging and discharging, x number of cycles, it won't work at an optimum level like new. It won't fail but will have reduced capacity versus a new Li-ion.

So you buy this nice expensive phone that retails like a laptop for $900 or something and then you have to upgrade to Galaxy Note 10 in a few years when it comes out. Instead of just installing a newer battery.

No reason why a phone cannot last for 5 years, for those who refuse the buy-new - throw away cycle.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Every heard of ZeroLemon? they provide replacement batteries, an alternative to OEM. Mugen and others also.

Ever heard of concept of having a backup battery? I wouldn't send anything anywhere, but wait for an upgraded battery to arrive while using an aftermarket one.

You would trust a battery, manufactured just like Samsung battery, in a phone? Ok then.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The thing about fixed, non-user replaceable batteries that is the phone is planned obsolescence. The Li-ion cell can only take so many charges. Maybe 1000-1500 cycles. but its performance begins to degrade whether you use it or not, even just sitting there, charged. So after a year of charging and discharging, x number of cycles, it won't work at an optimum level like new. It won't fail but will have reduced capacity versus a new Li-ion.

So you buy this nice expensive phone that retails like a laptop for $900 or something and then you have to upgrade to Galaxy Note 10 in a few years when it comes out. Instead of just installing a newer battery.

No reason why a phone cannot last for 5 years, for those who refuse the buy-new - throw away cycle.

So that, NIB , not being used but draining, applies to the Note 4 batteries as well.

gpatrick15

Mar 27, 2009
Visit site
This , again. It's a waste of a thread. Samsung, in addition to a large majority of manufacturers, moved away from removable batteries and it doesn't appear that they're looking back. There's no need to express your displeasure in this known fact on a new thread when plenty of other threads already exist debating this same topic. And it always boils down to "I'll just keep my Note 4," which is certainly your prerogative. But I think the updated software enhancements that come with the upgrades outweigh the need to swap batteries.

gpatrick15

Mar 27, 2009
Visit site
The V20 has a removable battery and it gets some of the worst battery life of any phone I've owned. The solution to me wasn't to just buy a new battery, my solution was to get rid of the phone. The phone was the issue, and having a removable battery didn't have any bearing in my decision making.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Note 4. I got a new Note last year and it runs just fine. There are tons of NIB, cheap Note 4 models.

It's time for me to move past the Samsung idea. LG V20, here I come. Maybe V30.

They v20 is a good phone. The v30 will not have a removable battery from everything I have read. The problem with the N4 and it being 3 year older now is warranty and updates.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I have 2 Anker 20000 mAh external batteries than can charge my devices anytime it is needed. They are good for more than just my phone too. They can actually jump start a car.....my iPad and any-other phone.

I understand you prefer removable batteries in your phones. But if that is a requirement for you then your list of choices is dwindling very fast.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This , again. It's a waste of a thread. Samsung, in addition to a large majority of manufacturers, moved away from removable batteries and it doesn't appear that they're looking back. There's no need to express your displeasure in this known fact on a new thread when plenty of other threads already exist debating this same topic. And it always boils down to "I'll just keep my Note 4," which is certainly your prerogative. But I think the updated software enhancements that come with the upgrades outweigh the need to swap batteries.
Plus the fact that newer batteries have longer charge cycles than before. We're still stuck in the 2010 thinking that batteties have like 500 cycles before deteriorating, when batteries with 60,000 cycles before deteriorating lifespans have been existent since last year. Heck there's already an existing battery with 200,000 cycles. Obviously these aren't the ones in our phones though.

In 2012 a study was done where the average lifespan of a commercial battery was between 2000-10,000 cycles before 20% degradation and that was dependent on the charging cycle patterns done by the user, and not the battery itself. That was back in 2012 and battery tech has been improving since then.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, I think there is a better chance of Samsung running iOS than them returning to removable batteries for flagships. Between the design, ever-increasing thinness of phones, and water-resistance, I don't see any reason for them to do so. The industry as a whole is basically making removable batteries for phones look like cassette tapes at this point. Also, what happened with the N7 was not a lesson in changing a phone's design backwards a few years.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Per Samsung, after 2 years of daily charging the battery in the S8, S8+ and Note 8 should maintain 95% of its original capacity. That's 5% degradation over 2 years. I think a non-removable battery will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01