Note phones have a 3 year lifespan, concerned with Note 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
One reason why I dislike Samsung phones: bloatware. Package disabler pro helps a little, but IDK... Samsung is FORCING the updates by annoying reminders to update your OS, until that 3rd year with the final Doomsday update. Have control of YOUR phone, then has control of the market.

If your Note 8 suffers from the same fate 3 years from now, I will laugh because no one believed it. Most likely people here are phone enthusiasts and will upgrade by then.
Again, your '3rd yr update' is already disproven by the fact that my brother's old S3 is my mom's primary phone, and an 8 year old Tab P6200 is her primary tablet. They should be dead by now if all devices have a 3 year lifespan thanks to updates.

No package disabler pro as well and I get updates as soon as I receive them. The only difference I can see between your anecdotal cases and me is that I am not in the Americas, hence updates are not tampered by carriers. I still can't believe carriers in the US tamper with the OS just to block tethering and the mobile data toggle.

Paradroid01

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Isn't it funny, people come by and say: my phone works, I have proved you wrong. Lol

Of course these things don't happen with all phones! Companies are not stupid. If the MMC problem of the Note 4 had caused a battery explosion like the Note 7, we wouldn't even have to discuss this topic here. It would have been clear: Too many devices broken, what's up Samsung?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Isn't it funny, people come by and say: my phone works, I have proved you wrong. Lol

Of course these things don't happen with all phones! Companies are not stupid. If the MMC problem of the Note 4 had caused a battery explosion like the Note 7, we wouldn't even have to discuss this topic here. It would have been clear: Too many devices broken, what's up Samsung?

And you came here saying people have their phones broken, so it means you're right? Your justification that our circumstance does not make us right just reinforces the fact that you're not right as well.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
oh no, the July security update is the killer??? That's funny, I'm typing this on my 920c which is on the August security patch.

Paradroid01

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
oh no, the July security update is the killer??? That's funny, I'm typing this on my 920c which is on the August security patch.
Another one, lol. It's like the Note 7 users. My device never exploded, so why do I have to send it back!? Because it is dangerous!

A low quality MMC that doesn't work anymore is not dangerous. On the contrary, if it breaks after the two-year guarantee, it works to a company's advantage. Users have to buy a new phone and they don't even dare to bother about the failure of a two year "old" or, should I say, obsolete device.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
One reason why I dislike Samsung phones: bloatware. Package disabler pro helps a little, but IDK... Samsung is FORCING the updates by annoying reminders to update your OS, until that 3rd year with the final Doomsday update. Have control of YOUR phone, then has control of the market.

If your Note 8 suffers from the same fate 3 years from now, I will laugh because no one believed it. Most likely people here are phone enthusiasts and will upgrade by then.

"I dislike Samsung phones"...

Hmmmmm....

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Another one, lol. It's like the Note 7 users. My device never exploded, so why do I have to send it back!? Because it is dangerous!

A low quality MMC that doesn't work anymore is not dangerous. On the contrary, if it breaks after the two-year guarantee, it works to a company's advantage. Users have to buy a new phone and they don't even dare to bother about the failure of a two year "old" or, should I say, obsolete device.
The problem with MMC modules is that it's quality is mostly determined by number of read/writes allowed. Normally it would number in the hundred thousands, but the actual determination of length of viable time would lie in the user. So a set number of years is impossible to count, since people don't use phones the same way. One could last 2 years for some but 10 years for others. So this still doesn't point to actual intended planned obsolecense, rather to Samsung having skimped on certain components of the Note 4 specifically. The idea of 'let's get this cheap MMCs, it'll theoretically last 3-5 years. Instead of the expensive ones that will last 7 years, they'll have bought new ones in 2 years anyway', is vastly different from a scenario of 'we're gonna put this low quality MMCs to force them to buy new ones in 2 years'. Especially since in phones there is always an unpredictable factor: you the user. Although both will end up looking at the same place: new phone in 2-3 years

And as far as this thread has shown us, this appears at least mostly confined to the Note 4, which suggests actual bad component choice, rather than some grand overarching scheme where the 3rd yr update in all Samsung phones will kill it.

However that is the entire point of the 2 year guarantee. The company only guarantees you that the device works perfectly in 2 years, and components may start breaking down individually after that time. In that essence, they already were upfront with you that the device may not last beyond that point.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

As I stated before.. LG and other manufacturers do this as well with bloat ware. They force the updates.

I seriously don't get why you think it's only a Samsung phone that can do this. That really isn't the case.

Also you'll laugh at someone having an issue such as their phone dying? That's pretty... cool I guess...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
As I stated before.. LG and other manufacturers do this as well with bloat ware. They force the updates.

I seriously don't get why you think it's only a Samsung phone that can do this. That really isn't the case.

Also you'll laugh at someone having an issue such as their phone dying? That's pretty... cool I guess...

People are having issues with primarily with Samsung after 2-3 years. Don't know why they slow down, the hardware is still good after 2 years with 3GB RAM. It's software problems from updates.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Us Android folk are an odd lot. Half of us complain about too few updates while the other complains about too many updates...

They complain about updates, and when they get them and don't like it and struggle to downgrade. Security updates are bogus, never had someone hacked my phone ever. More like more carrier bloatware addons.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
People are having issues with primarily with Samsung after 2-3 years. Don't know why they slow down, the hardware is still good after 2 years with 3GB RAM. It's software problems from updates.
So you agree it isn't fully Samsung but those others you dismiss and Samsung you blame as if they're doing malicious things? Very odd.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So you agree it isn't fully Samsung but those others you dismiss and Samsung you blame as if they're doing malicious things? Very odd.

I didn't say that you are putting words in mouth. I said Samsung phones typically have software issues after sometime more so than other brands.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say that you are putting words in mouth. I said Samsung phones typically have software issues after sometime more so than other brands.
Yeah.. so as I said you seem to be dismissing all others but slamming Samsung only as if they're the only one.. but they aren't.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They complain about updates, and when they get them and don't like it and struggle to downgrade. Security updates are bogus, never had someone hacked my phone ever. More like more carrier bloatware addons.
Wow. You're really into spreading misinformation and it's not cool.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow. You're really into spreading misinformation and it's not cool.

No I'm not, look at the forums for older phones, people are asking how to downgrade. I've updated my Galaxy S4 and the Data On/Off toggle shortcut was removed. Also, phone started to slow down. This is not made up. You cannot revert back after you update. There's lots of regrets.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
No I'm not, look at the forums for older phones, people are asking how to downgrade. I've updated my Galaxy S4 and the Data On/Off toggle shortcut was removed. Also, phone started to slow down. This is not made up. You cannot revert back after you update. There's lots of regrets.

The people are asking how to downgrade from a major update (Marshmallow to Nougat), not to remove updates.

Even if no one has actively tried to hack your phone to your knowledge, doesn't mean there are no vulnerabilities which may be important for other people. Some people have sensitive info on their phones due to their line of work, and are targets for hackers. Nobody hacking you doesn't mean security updates are bogus. It just means you're not important enough a person to waste effort hacking. Saying these security updates are bogus is misinformation.

They're not carrier bloatware add ons when unlocked international phones get them too, which has no carrier add ons.

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
is there not a way to block these updates, just asking. I know on the Note 7 i was able to block all updates (until Verizon cut them off)
Same. When Verizon finally killed it and I called in to activate my Note 5 the rep I talked to was amazed I was still using the N7. Still hurt to have to give it back, I kept all the accessories from the two I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.