Note 8 and Dex Station

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I am very interested in seeing how the Dex Station works with the Note 8.

From all the reviews I've read and the you tube videos I've watched it seems like a really awesome and somewhat underreported Samsung product.

I appreciate it is fairly limited and is not the "desk top killer" folks try and make it out to be, but I was just about to get a new desktop at home and instead of dropping over a grand on that, will be able to use the $99 Dex to do my Word work and emails at home

I had mentally prepared to wait until the 15th for my sleek beautiful black Note 8, so Christmas comes on Tuesday Sept 5th this year!!!!

48 more hours!!!!!

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm excited to see how well the DeX will preform also. I have a desktop at work and a laptop I lug around also. The idea of using my Note8 to RDP to my office desktop from home is great. I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes. I received my DeX about a week ago and can't wait to give it a try.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am very interested in seeing how the Dex Station works with the Note 8.

From all the reviews I've read and the you tube videos I've watched it seems like a really awesome and somewhat underreported Samsung product.

I appreciate it is fairly limited and is not the "desk top killer" folks try and make it out to be, but I was just about to get a new desktop at home and instead of dropping over a grand on that, will be able to use the $99 Dex to do my Word work and emails at home

I had mentally prepared to wait until the 15th for my sleek beautiful black Note 8, so Christmas comes on Tuesday Sept 5th this year!!!!

48 more hours!!!!!

September 5th??? How do you figure? The Note 8 isn;t shipping until 9/14

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
with Dex, do you have to buy a dock in order for Dex to work or is it bluetooth? in curious to know how it works...

The Dex Station is a stand alone doc, the keyboard used can be connected to the doc or you can use a wireless keyboard.

Unfortunately the only speaker is through the phone itself but I use a magnificent high fidelity Dash 7 which is Bluetooth

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
September 5th??? How do you figure? The Note 8 isn;t shipping until 9/14

If you're not careful people are going to start thinking you're trolling. Jumping from thread to thread trying to start something. I'm sure you wouldn't want that.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
If you're not careful people are going to start thinking you're trolling. Jumping from thread to thread trying to start something. I'm sure you wouldn't want that.
some just don't want others to be happy. there are several individuals going around saying the same type of things. used to call them sh*t disturbers.

TechnologyTwitt

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm excited to see how well the DeX will preform also. I have a desktop at work and a laptop I lug around also. The idea of using my Note8 to RDP to my office desktop from home is great. I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes. I received my DeX about a week ago and can't wait to give it a try.

Please keep us posted - I’m guessing it’ll be similar in terms of functions, to a chromebook, right?

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Please keep us posted - I’m guessing it’ll be similar in terms of functions, to a chromebook, right?

That's what I'm hoping. I also have a Samsung Chromebook Plus and it works very well for this but a desktop version with larger screen would be a big plus.

I have a Bluetooth mouse & keyboard as well as speaker. I also purchased a 27" curved screen monitor to use with this. It will be a lot of fun playing around with I think.

I use Cisco's Anyconnect and Microsoft RDP. I think the issue will be getting a full screen window to work my desktop from. I did read another thread where there is an app to help change the RDP to full screen.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I was sort of hoping for a Dex dock freebie with the Note 8 ;) As a former Windows phone user, MS Continuum intrigued me and it appeared to work well on the HP and 950 devices. It would be nice to try out the functionality to see if it worked for me, but I'm not ready to pay for it yet :)

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I know. re: the 9/5 early dates: People don't realize but it's a carrier thing. I had too much hassle trying to order on AT&T's site that had tech issues. Even after reps processing my last installment so that I could upgrade and then properly order online through their site, it still refused me. I had two phone calls and 3 chats and I was told 9/5 was their delivery but when I still could not order online, I was not making a 6th contact to AT&T. I can wait 10 more days. I just decided to go through Best Buy again and had no issue on their site so 9/15 it is for me.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Remember, the Dex Station justs project the Android operating system onto a monitor, so the functionality will be limited, much less than a Chrome book, until developers get on board.

Having said that it looks like there are tweaks and it provides a desktop - like page, and for me, my primary use is using Word, and Microsoft Office is supposed to be fully functional.

I like the idea of sitting at the kitchen island, plopping a monitor on the surface, using a fully fledged keyboard and short HDMI cord and having what for my limited needs should be essentially a desk top functionality within Microsoft.

We'll see but it is always fun to test a new gadget

Hurry up note 8!

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Remember, the Dex Station justs project the Android operating system onto a monitor, so the functionality will be limited, much less than a Chrome book, until developers get on board.

Having said that it looks like there are tweaks and it provides a desktop - like page, and for me, my primary use is using Word, and Microsoft Office is supposed to be fully functional.

I like the idea of sitting at the kitchen island, plopping a monitor on the surface, using a fully fledged keyboard and short HDMI cord and having what for my limited needs should be essentially a desk top functionality within Microsoft.

We'll see but it is always fun to test a new gadget

Hurry up note 8!

However, once I've connected (RDP) to my desktop, I'll have a fully functional Windows system to work from with all the power of an i7 and 16 GB of ram.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Agreed - in my case the speakers on phones aren't worth much attention beyond calls, etc.

I listen to music while working and Bluetooth my way to music heaven using a Soundmatters Dash 7 - amazing near field clarity and fidelity beyond the speakers of my phone or monitor.

I'll be interested to see if the $99 for the Dex Station was worth it - I'll find out tomorrow

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The DEX station is intriguing. I generally travel with a laptop so I can remote into my desktop. Remoting in with the just the phone is too small to do any useful work, but I can see the DEX connected to a TV would be great - only issue is having to travel with a keyboard.

Right now the DEX station is $122 and will ship 18-Sept. I suspect new phone purchases will get the usual 20% discount email shortly after purchasing, so it's probably worth waiting.

bigpapa7272

May 27, 2010
Visit site
The DEX station is intriguing. I generally travel with a laptop so I can remote into my desktop. Remoting in with the just the phone is too small to do any useful work, but I can see the DEX connected to a TV would be great - only issue is having to travel with a keyboard.

Right now the DEX station is $122 and will ship 18-Sept. I suspect new phone purchases will get the usual 20% discount email shortly after purchasing, so it's probably worth waiting.

Dex station is on Amazon for 94 with free prime shipping

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
(Note 8 connected to TV/Monitor using a HDMI cable) + (Note 8 connected to wireless keyboard via bluetooth) + (Note 8 connected to wireless mouse via bluetooth) = Near Dex experience except without the Dex interface (Dex icons positions/look). Monitor is displaying the exact thing that I see on Note 8 Phone.

Is my assumption above correct? Correct me if I am wrong. I think without Dex, I can still work on documents on monitor with mouse and keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik