09-04-2017 06:57 AM
34 12
tools
    What finally got me to part with the N7 was when it was explained that my insurance won't be paying for damages caused by a recalled product.
    Everybody said they didn't worry about the phone catching fire, but never considered that if your home or apartment or hotel or whatever catches fire, and you had a known defective product that may or may not have caused the blaze...

Claim Denied! Next!

'You are bankrupt - dumb da-dum-dum dumb dumb dumb'
    Gray Area and Makad like this.
    09-03-2017 09:15 PM
    What finally got me to part with the N7 was when it was explained that my insurance won't be paying for damages caused by a recalled product.
    Everybody said they didn't worry about the phone catching fire, but never considered that if your home or apartment or hotel or whatever catches fire, and you had a known defective product that may or may not have caused the blaze...

Claim Denied! Next!

I told some people that same thing and they never believed me...lol.
    09-03-2017 09:18 PM
    I know that Samsung has put in tremendous effort in QA testing and making sure the phone does not experience what it did last year. Has anyone (who had a Note 7 explode on them and got injured) still getting the Note 8? If so, why? I think the people have forgiven Samsung, but what about those that got sent to the hospital? I remember hearing stories last year, must have been awful.
    Last total I saw of phones that caught fire -no explosions- world wide was under 150. I never saw any AC people in the 150 total.
    09-03-2017 09:58 PM
    I do not like the term "Explode" the media sensed blood in the water and went into a frenzy. They caught fire.

Samsung invited UL (Underwriters Laboratory) and two other independent firms to investigate the Note 7 from all angles.

The 1st battery had a issue with how the layers of the battery were folded. Take a stack of papers and fold it and you will see at the fold some papers creep up or down. This happened and the positive and negative reached over the inert layer, touched, shorted and because Li On Battery's are so powerful, it was enough to have a thermal runaway and there is your fire. No explosion.

The 2nd battery from a 2nd company, no issues with the fold like the 1st. Its issue was the tab that was used to connect from the positive layer to the connection point on the phone itself. They used sonic welding. Unbeknownst to them this created microscopic jagged peaks and it ate thru the inert layer and shorted, then had a thermal breakdown.

One of the other companies checked the Note 7's charging circuitry because one of the rumors were people were using cheap non Samsung chargers and it was over charging. Their findings showed the system Samsung had in place on the Note 7 and other phones of that generation were able to handle over volts and not pass it to the battery.

The 3rd company checked on how the components and then final product was handled when transported from component factories to final assembly and then shipping to customers. No major issues were found.

Sammy identified and fixed the issue. Proof is their comprehensive battery testing. No word of any S8 or S8+ having any battery/thermal issues. Issue fixed. Personally I call what happened to Samsung a lousy case of bad luck. What are the odds that both batteries you use have a major flaw?

One of my earlier points, the media last year had a field day with the Note 7 situation and in many ways were full blown tabloid. Other phones with Li-On batteries were having fire issues, not at the rate of the Note 7 mind you, they they were and that fact was conveniently ignored by the media.

To me, the Note 7 is behind me. It was a AWESOME phone while I had it. Switched to a S7 Edge, but ended up with the S7. I have the Note 8 on Pre Order and currently melting my F5 key refreshing UPS.COM. I have been a Note user since the Note 3. I did not realize how much I used and missed the S Pen.

I can't wait
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    09-03-2017 11:36 PM
    I had 2 note 7s, neither exploded & yes, I'm getting the note 8
    09-04-2017 12:27 AM
    So to clear something up, What essentially has to happen in order to cause ignition is the pack swells and the ions become exposed to oxygen, or the positive and negative sides of the battery contact one another causing it to swell, popping open and catching fire due to being exposed to oxygen. Essentially this is an explosion of sorts, although it is in the grey area, technically. My source is my own experience in building custom lithium batteries for r/c cars, and having had numerous fires lol. I was actually charging my note in a "lipo sack", for peace of mind.
    09-04-2017 12:29 AM
    I had two Note 7's and neither even got warm. Best phone I ever had up to now I hope.
    My Note 8 is due to arrive Tuesday from Verizon.
    09-04-2017 01:10 AM
    They didn't explode, they caught on fire.
    That's what I think when ever I hear explode. Explode is combusting, like dynamite or a bomb. These had meltdowns.
    jlost likes this.
    09-04-2017 04:13 AM

Claim Denied! Next!

I operate on statistics. If your house hadn't caught fire in 10-20 years, what were the chances of it catching fire then? That's like winning the lottery.
    09-04-2017 06:57 AM
34 12