Note 8 Battery Life looks pretty good!

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
This is promising, indeed! I saw it earlier today, and updated it in a few of the other Battery Threads.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
AND people need to remember that app optimization sometimes takes a bit to settle in. Don't freak if the first few days your battery life isn't what you are expecting. I have noticed that behavior with all my phones since Google implemented that feature.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
AND people need to remember that app optimization sometimes takes a bit to settle in. Don't freak if the first few days your battery life isn't what you are expecting. I have noticed that behavior with all my phones since Google implemented that feature.

The "battery settling in" thing isn't really a thing.

I wish that would just go away.

This isn't against you. It's just I see it all over the place and it really isn't a thing.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
The "battery settling in" thing isn't really a thing.

I wish that would just go away.

This isn't against you. It's just I see it all over the place and it really isn't a thing.

Then why has every new phone I've had since Marshmallow (5 and counting) taken 3 days to finally normalize battery life? I'm not discounting what you are saying, but this is something I've experienced with consistency. I install all my apps on day one and my usage pattern doesn't change, at least not enough to affect the battery life in such a way. I'm curious what causes it.

TechnologyTwitt

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Any harm in throwing the phone on the wireless charger (instead of just on your desk)... so every time it's not in use it's charging.... vs. starting with a full charge and waiting until it's below 10 or 20% before allowing it to fully charge again?

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Then why has every new phone I've had since Marshmallow (5 and counting) taken 3 days to finally normalize battery life? I'm not discounting what you are saying, but this is something I've experienced with consistency. I install all my apps on day one and my usage pattern doesn't change, at least not enough to affect the battery life in such a way. I'm curious what causes it.
You might not realize it, but I bet your usage pattern is a little different. It's brand new, and you may be pulling it out more and/or taking a little longer to do things as you get used to it. By day 3 maybe the newness is starting to wear off and you are already getting more proficient with it. Just a guess. Is that possible?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Any harm in throwing the phone on the wireless charger (instead of just on your desk)... so every time it's not in use it's charging.... vs. starting with a full charge and waiting until it's below 10 or 20% before allowing it to fully charge again?
Never let a lithium ion battery go down below 20% if you can help it. And always having it charging is better.

This is an old post of mine but still rings true up to now because we still haven't had much change in battery tech. The only difference now is that batteries hold between 2000 to 10000 cycles, and that they have smaller footprints.

Anyway the gist is, basically, batteries work by ion movement, and like a machine, these ions wear out over time due to use. And similar to machines, heavy use wears them out more. You're more likely to break an engine by running it for 1 day at max rev, than running it over a month at half capacity. The smaller the depth of discharge, the lower the wear. Lab tests have concluded that when you constantly discharge from 100 to 0, it allows you betwrrn 300-500 charge cycles before it starts to break down and not hold charges. More specifically, when you reach that magic number your battery can only hold 75% of it's original charge. That's typically 1-2 years of use if you charge once a day. And heavy abusers charge more than once a day, so that decreases the time span to however many weeks it takes them to reach 500 charge cycles. Now, the increase in charge cycles is exponential, not arithmetical. So a depth of discharge to 50 before recharging will not give you 600-1000 charges. Rather it will give you 1200-1500 charge cycles. Mathematically, draining a 3600mah to zero for 300 charges gives you 1080000mah to burn through however short your battery life will be. On the other hand, using only 50% of the battery before recharging gives you 2160000mah to burn through before it expires after at least 1200 charge cycles. In other words, it stored twice more power for you to use. If you say, charge once every 24hrs, going always from 100 to 0 gives you at least 300 days. Recharging twice a day at 50% gives your battery at least 600 days of use before battery capacity deteriorates noticeably. Discharging to 75% before recharging actually gives you 2000-2500 charge cycles, making it even longer. Basically the point is, always plug the phone in when given the chance. Don't wait for 50%, or whatever. 40% is an arbitrary number actually, not sure why it's chosen. Also, this is why one of the choices to auto activate power saving in the S7 is at 50%, so that it keeps the battery up as close to 50% as possible when you get the chance to plug in.
As for charging to 80%, this is because partial charge is better than full charge for lithium ion batteries. The ions are placed on stress to hold charges. Maximum stress is at 100% charge. And like everything else, stuff tends to break more. So not running it to 100% all the time will reduce overall stress experienced and increase the time before deterioration occurs. Personally I charge to 90%, and discharge to 40% or above. That's a 50% depth of charge, so that's good for up to 1500 charge cycles, plus whatever number of cycles the decrease in max stress gives me.

However, note that environmental temperatures also play a role in battery longevity.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
You might not realize it, but I bet your usage pattern is a little different. It's brand new, and you may be pulling it out more and/or taking a little longer to do things as you get used to it. By day 3 maybe the newness is starting to wear off and you are already getting more proficient with it. Just a guess. Is that possible?

I suppose anything is possible lol. If i can quell my excitement enough to pay attention this time, I'll try to make a note of it.......pun intended

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci