Possible iPhone convert

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I started with android then jumped back and forth between android and iOS. I will be buying the note 8 soon. Truthfully the only things I will miss from iOS is news FaceTime and iMessage. I can find an app to give me the same features as news. As far as FaceTime and iMessage are awesome but can be replaced with Facebook messenger. The only thing that would have stopped me from switching was a shared family calendar but with the ability to sync my iCloud calendar with google calendar and have another family calendar in google I think my family will be fine.

jstplnfrank#AC

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 7+ and a Samsung S8+. I usually make it about a week between SIM swaps. I don't decide between iPhone or Android, I just use both.

I would do this- but do you lose texts between switching? Then you have to toggle on/off iMessage each time you switch. I guess the best way to do this is not to use iMessage at all?

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Had the iPhone 6s plus, then the note 7, and now the iPhone 7 plus. Waiting on my note 8 tomorrow. That being said, my wife and everyone I know has iMessage, but other than that, I couldn't be less tied to iOS. I simply can't wait for tomorrow. The switch won't be hard, and I'll open it with welcome arms. The note 5 was when I left Android as my wife talked me into iOS, I came, I saw, now let me back in lol.

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I started with android then jumped back and forth between android and iOS. I will be buying the note 8 soon. Truthfully the only things I will miss from iOS is news FaceTime and iMessage. I can find an app to give me the same features as news. As far as FaceTime and iMessage are awesome but can be replaced with Facebook messenger. The only thing that would have stopped me from switching was a shared family calendar but with the ability to sync my iCloud calendar with google calendar and have another family calendar in google I think my family will be fine.

I may have to get Facebook again just for the messenger. Lol

Hadn't thought of the calendar. I do share one with my wife but it sounds like I'd be able to sync it to google as you said so hopefully there's no loss there.

Does Samsung have an iCloud replacement? I may just keep my iCloud up and running for a while if I try the Note so I don't lose anything but how is Samsung/googles implementation of handling photos and videos?

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Had the iPhone 6s plus, then the note 7, and now the iPhone 7 plus. Waiting on my note 8 tomorrow. That being said, my wife and everyone I know has iMessage, but other than that, I couldn't be less tied to iOS. I simply can't wait for tomorrow. The switch won't be hard, and I'll open it with welcome arms. The note 5 was when I left Android as my wife talked me into iOS, I came, I saw, now let me back in lol.

So you only switched back for your wife? You didn't miss anything on IOS?

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I converted after the 6 came out, I hit the wall of "this is basically the same iPhone I already have just marginally bigger, and I don't want to lose my jail break freedom" so I jumped ship and have loved it. BUT- I have been on an i7+ since December (post note 7 recall) and while I don't dislike the phone and software, I don't love it either. The only two things I truly like about iOS over Android is iMessage and, that's about all I can think of at the moment! The other slipped my mind as I type. I have a pretty large group of friends and family with iPhones and that's really the only advantage for me. And is by far not enough to keep me on that side of the fence.

There's more than a handful of reasons why I much prefer Android over iOS nowadays. App/setting shortcuts, camera (iPhone has a great camera, but pro mode on Android devices is awesome), LOVE not having to keep my apps locked down to an annoying grid, multitude of widgets wherever I'd like them to be (not just a limited list on a separate page), the list goes on. Truly don't see the argument of iOS having more refined/better versions of apps over Android anymore, I've never had an issue with any apps. When I describe a lot of my reasons why I prefer this OS over an iPhone to friends, I get the "well my phone does_____ too", it's easier to experience it first hand VS talking about it.

There's the beauty of a 14 day return if you don't like the device, then you can simply go back. It could take some time to get used to the system and device. If you haven't already just go in store and play with a multitude of devices and see how you like the OS! And do as much research as you can. That's what I did

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I may have to get Facebook again just for the messenger. Lol

Hadn't thought of the calendar. I do share one with my wife but it sounds like I'd be able to sync it to google as you said so hopefully there's no loss there.

Does Samsung have an iCloud replacement? I may just keep my iCloud up and running for a while if I try the Note so I don't lose anything but how is Samsung/googles implementation of handling photos and videos?

If I remember right I recently read that you don't need to have FB to use messenger. People use it simply linked to their phone number. Again I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw something about that within the last week.

I don't know if Samsung has a direct iCloud style replacement but Google drive essentially works the same way. And Google photos automatically uploads any media from your camera without having to do anything. I've never really used iCloud much nor Google drive much for that matter so I can't really speak for how streamline it works, but when I have had to use it I've never had issues. And since Google has iOS apps for both you can easily save your iPhone media/files and have them to dl on Android. I suppose Dropbox is another option too?

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I would do this- but do you lose texts between switching? Then you have to toggle on/off iMessage each time you switch. I guess the best way to do this is not to use iMessage at all?
Yes, the best way is to not use imessage when you're using the iPhone. That's what I did with the Note 4 and iPhone 6+ and then with the Note 5 and iPhone 6s+. Recently I've been turning imessage off before switching and sending a . by text to all my open imessage convos. That seems to break the imessage connection with that person.

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I converted after the 6 came out, I hit the wall of "this is basically the same iPhone I already have just marginally bigger, and I don't want to lose my jail break freedom" so I jumped ship and have loved it. BUT- I have been on an i7+ since December (post note 7 recall) and while I don't dislike the phone and software, I don't love it either. The only two things I truly like about iOS over Android is iMessage and, that's about all I can think of at the moment! The other slipped my mind as I type. I have a pretty large group of friends and family with iPhones and that's really the only advantage for me. And is by far not enough to keep me on that side of the fence.

There's more than a handful of reasons why I much prefer Android over iOS nowadays. App/setting shortcuts, camera (iPhone has a great camera, but pro mode on Android devices is awesome), LOVE not having to keep my apps locked down to an annoying grid, multitude of widgets wherever I'd like them to be (not just a limited list on a separate page), the list goes on. Truly don't see the argument of iOS having more refined/better versions of apps over Android anymore, I've never had an issue with any apps. When I describe a lot of my reasons why I prefer this OS over an iPhone to friends, I get the "well my phone does_____ too", it's easier to experience it first hand VS talking about it.

There's the beauty of a 14 day return if you don't like the device, then you can simply go back. It could take some time to get used to the system and device. If you haven't already just go in store and play with a multitude of devices and see how you like the OS! And do as much research as you can. That's what I did

Oh I did that with the Note 7 a few times. I just worry that the novelty would wear off fairly quickly and then I'd be stuck with it since they don't hold value well. I was going to trade my iPhone 7 in to get the Note but I may just have to sell it if I decide to keep the Note. Will probably wait until closer to the holidays to hope for a price drop since I need a watch as well. Thanks for the info!

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
If I remember right I recently read that you don't need to have FB to use messenger. People use it simply linked to their phone number. Again I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw something about that within the last week.

I don't know if Samsung has a direct iCloud style replacement but Google drive essentially works the same way. And Google photos automatically uploads any media from your camera without having to do anything. I've never really used iCloud much nor Google drive much for that matter so I can't really speak for how streamline it works, but when I have had to use it I've never had issues. And since Google has iOS apps for both you can easily save your iPhone media/files and have them to dl on Android. I suppose Dropbox is another option too?

Good to know! I'll look into the messenger.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm one of those dumb enough to have two phones under the Next program so for now, I'm dumping my V20 for the Note 8 and keeping my i7+ for a while in case I want to play around with it, and switch back to imessage occasionally. Not the cheapest way to play with new toys but oh well. What's another $50 a month 😂

I know what you mean about the novelty wearing off, I'm sure after a certain amount of time it would. It never really did for the few months I had the N7, I absolutely loved that phone. Only thing I realized I don't necessarily like but can live with on Samsung is TouchWiz, the V20 has a much more native version of Android so I grew to appreciate that over TouchWiz. There's pros and cons to it, nothing to make one run from it unless they're a total purist.

Even after the novelty would wear off, there might be things you'd grow to appreciate over Android that would make you miss it if you jumped ship. Or maybe not, all depends. One thing that I seriously LOVED about the N7 was their version of live photos, panoramic in particular. But again being such a beautiful piece of hardware I never really lost the novelty, lol

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Ive switched back and forth several times. But I just sold my iPhone 7 plus red on swappa and waiting for my note8 that I preordered. I'm done with iPhones. I have an iPad pro that I will keep but imessage isn't enough to keep me.

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
So you only switched back for your wife? You didn't miss anything on IOS?

I switched to iOS when the note 5 came out, on the recommendation from my wife and others who are all iPhone crazy. Got tired of bland before the note 7 but waited for it, since I've been a note user since the original. The recall happened, and it was s7e or iPhone 7 plus. I went back to iPhone because I thought it'd be less of me settling for a year that s7e, which is debatable lol.

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
And also the only iOS feature I find better in a sense is iMessage. Otherwise I run most of the same apps, but can set the phone up more to my liking with Android. I hate the stuck icon grid, and folders to hide stuff. I'm just more of a want it my way person, the past few years I've felt trapped technology wise. Once you get past the oh no, how do I do this and that, you'll love it. It's the initial unknown that scares people back to iOS in my opinion.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Someone told me I can’t stay on the fence forever

Good advice. I look at being on the fence like the longer you stay there, the more you may regret not acting. And to hook some advice given to me by someone much smarter: 'very few things are more painful than regret'.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I understand what a lot of people say about the wow factor wearing off quickly on iOS devices. I will sell my Apple Watch soon because it's not really any more useful than a fitness tracker to me. Looking to get the gear sport because I know that it will fit my needs as a watch. The iPhone while great and has many positives from quick updates to generally great performance is no longer able to cover the limitations imposed by Apple. Like others have said launchpad is not good and needs a serious makeover. I've tried iOS 11 and control center is new and fresh I just don't like it. I like that Apple has tried to open up iOS to some degree but I feel as if they still have too many limitations.

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
i have a Note, i'm not a heavy forum poster, but if you were to look back, you would see that I've owned every iteration (except for the Fan Edition) and I have pre-ordered the Note 8. I originally used Windows PCs for most of my life (26 years), but currently I run almost all my computers on Macs (MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Mini). I have an iPhone 7+ and also an iPad Pro (1st Gen)... unfortunately, I just use it to message stubborn people who only care to use iOS/iMessage, and FaceTime... for those who I have been able to convert to Allo/Duo and Hangouts for multiple video messages, they love it, and talk to me on there, then switch back to their beloved messaging device when talking to others.

The simplicity of iOS makes their phones what they are.. but if you're about pushing devices to the limit, and having an almost infinite amount of customization without rooting/jailbreaking then I would say give the Note series a try... The Note (OG1) was my 3rd foray into the Android ecosystem back in February of 2011... and since then, I havne't looked anywhere else for a main device. Prior to that it was BlackBerry and then before that, it was Windows Mobile Phones.

I utilize the S-Pen every time I use my device. I'm no artist or big business buff... but the level of accuracy that you can achieve when using things like the Square App for mobile payments of doodling, just sold me originally. That and the face that it gave you a bigger screen/canvas to use for every and anything you throw at your device (not figuratively).

Even if you buy one and give it a try, the most you will be out is the restocking fee that is imposed by your place of purchase. Other than that, I KNOW you will love the device and all it has to offer sans iMessage

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've even entertained the idea of stock android, but the features and enhancements (some say bloat/gimmicks) found on the Note/Galaxy S line, just makes it easier for me to make a choice to stay with the Samsung devices as my primary main device.

LG didn't do it for me, even thought I love the HiFi audio achievements they are striving for in their latest phones, their UX turns me away and feels slightly dated.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Last year i jumped from iOS to android with the note 7, and i have not really missed iOS at all. My wife and kids all use iphones though.

We never really sent a lot of photos or videos so that has not been a problem, i guess if we had to we would just use facebook messenger or maybe google photos.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz