09-22-2017 05:29 AM
134 123 ...
tools
    Any iPhone converts here? I considered the Note last year but delayed long enough for the issues to happen. Seems like the Note has a lot more features than the iPhone and the next gen isn't going to change that especially if they remove touchid. But they both cost the same. 2 things have kept me on iPhone. iMessage since my wife also has an iPhone. And my Apple Watch, which I have come to love.

I know I can use link sharing to send photos and videos to my wife in full quality but would there be any way for her to send them to me? Just email?

Any of you that have made the switch regret it?

Thanks for any thoughts or comments!
    09-04-2017 06:37 PM
    I am in the exact position you are, except I already preordered my note. I waited just long enough last year to not be able to get the note 7, but I have been with apple since the 3GS. It was time for a switch. IOS 11 isn’t remarkable, I have the beta version, and apple isn’t doing anything that Samsung hasn’t already done this year. This is the year to switch and try the note. If you don’t like it, next years phones from apple or Samsung should be a bigger upgrade.

Someone told me I can’t stay on the fence forever, that’s what convinced me, so I give you the same advice. Try it and we can decide together if it’s better than apple!!
    09-04-2017 06:43 PM
    I have gone back and fourth with Android and iPhone's over the years. I have had every iPhone since the 3GS and probably 10 different Android phones mixed up in there. I seem to always go back to the iPhone because of the EXACT same reasons you listed. iMessage and the Apple Watch. I love iMessage on my MacBook and the Apple Watch is the best smart watch available in my opinion. One thing I really really like about Android is the customization, especially if you get a 3rd party launcher! I think the best bet would be to wait until September 12th and then make your choice. I get my Note 8 tomorrow because I know when the iPhone comes out I will be looking a long back orders and limited availability. Probably weeks of backorders...
    09-04-2017 06:48 PM
    I know I can use link sharing to send photos and videos to my wife in full quality but would there be any way for her to send them to me? Just email?

I message videos and photos from my Android to my mom's iPhone and vice versa with absolutely no problems
    09-04-2017 06:49 PM
    Any iPhone converts here? I considered the Note last year but delayed long enough for the issues to happen. Seems like the Note has a lot more features than the iPhone and the next gen isn't going to change that especially if they remove touchid. But they both cost the same. 2 things have kept me on iPhone. iMessage since my wife also has an iPhone. And my Apple Watch, which I have come to love.

I’ve switched... if you look through these forums I posted my thoughts, etc.

Im looking forward to getting this N8
    09-04-2017 06:54 PM
    I am in the exact position you are, except I already preordered my note. I waited just long enough last year to not be able to get the note 7, but I have been with apple since the 3GS. It was time for a switch. IOS 11 isn’t remarkable, I have the beta version, and apple isn’t doing anything that Samsung hasn’t already done this year. This is the year to switch and try the note. If you don’t like it, next years phones from apple or Samsung should be a bigger upgrade.

Someone told me I can’t stay on the fence forever, that’s what convinced me, so I give you the same advice. Try it and we can decide together if it’s better than apple!!
    Same, preordered and anxiously waiting. I’m still in the iOS environment with the iPad Pro and MacBook Air, which I love, and the 3rd party apps I use on my iPhone will work just as good on the Note 8.
    09-04-2017 06:59 PM
    Not a covert, just going back after the note 7 problem. I'm cheap and lazy when it comes to music and movies and nothing beats Android.
    smooches680 likes this.
    09-04-2017 07:04 PM

Not a convert but used iOS enough to be comfortable with it. Sending larger files over SMS is one thing that stinks in Android, mostly because the carriers put a cap on the file size or the quality is so compressed it's horrid to watch. You could use a network based message app like Google Hangouts or Allo to send those back and forth, or even WhatsApp. My wife and I ended up just using Facebook messenger since we already have FB accounts and it wasn't another app to deal with. Messenger is iMessage-ish these days and not half bad if you aren't managing lots of messages or large MMS chat sessions.

Good Luck sir!
    DMP89145 likes this.
    09-04-2017 07:05 PM
    I’ve bounced around myself for a few years, always keeping my iPhone at the time and going back to it.
    I suppose it would be easier to switch if I didn’t have my iPhone to fall back on.
    iMessage, Find my Friends, and my Apple Watch are the primary reasons I’m hesitant to go full- on Android.
    Saying all of that- I have pre ordered the Note 8 and am anxiously awaiting its arrival!
    09-04-2017 07:05 PM
    I ordered the note 8, but I'm seriously thinking about canceling the Note 8 for the iPhone 8. The Note 8 isn't that impressive to me. The pen is nice but the lack of new features and the slow updates from Samsung and AT&T are terrible. I miss the I messaging and the lag that android phones always has is so very annoying.
    09-04-2017 08:08 PM
    I ordered the note 8, but I'm seriously thinking about canceling the Note 8 for the iPhone 8. The Note 8 isn't that impressive to me. The pen is nice but the lack of new features and the slow updates from Samsung and AT&T are terrible. I miss the I messaging and the lag that android phones always has is so very annoying.
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind. I know if I felt this way about my new device the decision would be a very simple one.
    smooches680 likes this.
    09-04-2017 08:41 PM
    The only thing is Apple will have new features I'm sure but most likely most if not all will be features already available on android. Just new to Apple is all. But everyone has their own needs. No one device will suit everyone.
    smooches680 and chevyman29 like this.
    09-04-2017 08:43 PM

Same here except with the 3G! Good point about being on the fence, I do think I will wait until after next Tuesday to decide though. Please let me know how the Note works for you though!!
    09-04-2017 08:51 PM
    I message videos and photos from my Android to my mom's iPhone and vice versa with absolutely no problems
    What did you use for this? Any time I've ever used android photos and videos are sent over SMS so they are totally compressed. And if my wife sends a caption along with the photo it comes through even worse.
    09-04-2017 08:55 PM
    I’ve switched... if you look through these forums I posted my thoughts, etc.

Im looking forward to getting this N8
    Thanks, I will search for your posts.
    09-04-2017 08:57 PM
    Same, preordered and anxiously waiting. I’m still in the iOS environment with the iPad Pro and MacBook Air, which I love, and the 3rd party apps I use on my iPhone will work just as good on the Note 8.
    I don't really have the 'environment' argument. Just my Apple Watch and my wife's iPhone. In fact, since my TV is a Samsung I think I would gain some ecosystem there...
    09-04-2017 08:58 PM
    Not sure what new features you'd like to see..? It's very similar to the Note 7 right? I hear you on the iMessage.. and I've heard the lag argument in both directions so idk what to believe there..
    09-04-2017 09:00 PM
    I'm sure Apple will add new features for sure. I'm also sure they won't rival the notes features (whether people use them or not..).

For those that have already used the Note. So you find you're forcing yourself to use the pen or is it actually useful on a regular basis?

For the Apple Watch I am being an ***** there. My company doesnt even allow devices with a microphone so I shouldn't have bought it. I thought the policy would relax, it did not.. I'm now considering the Fitbit ionic or gear fit pro.

Thanks for all the replies folks, glad I'm not alone in having trouble with these decisions. The lease on my car is up in march, don't even get me started on that one!!
    09-04-2017 09:04 PM
    Most of my circle of friends have iPhones and iMessage is to good. I like the Note 8 other then few gripes but can't justified 2 phones. I'll wait till everything's release before deciding and might just skip this year entirely.
    09-04-2017 09:06 PM
    I currently have an iPhone 7+ and a Samsung S8+. I usually make it about a week between SIM swaps. I don't decide between iPhone or Android, I just use both.
    09-04-2017 09:11 PM
    I started with android then jumped back and forth between android and iOS. I will be buying the note 8 soon. Truthfully the only things I will miss from iOS is news FaceTime and iMessage. I can find an app to give me the same features as news. As far as FaceTime and iMessage are awesome but can be replaced with Facebook messenger. The only thing that would have stopped me from switching was a shared family calendar but with the ability to sync my iCloud calendar with google calendar and have another family calendar in google I think my family will be fine.
    indydrummer likes this.
    09-04-2017 09:22 PM
    I currently have an iPhone 7+ and a Samsung S8+. I usually make it about a week between SIM swaps. I don't decide between iPhone or Android, I just use both.
    I would do this- but do you lose texts between switching? Then you have to toggle on/off iMessage each time you switch. I guess the best way to do this is not to use iMessage at all?
    jjinal likes this.
    09-04-2017 09:33 PM
    Had the iPhone 6s plus, then the note 7, and now the iPhone 7 plus. Waiting on my note 8 tomorrow. That being said, my wife and everyone I know has iMessage, but other than that, I couldn't be less tied to iOS. I simply can't wait for tomorrow. The switch won't be hard, and I'll open it with welcome arms. The note 5 was when I left Android as my wife talked me into iOS, I came, I saw, now let me back in lol.
    smooches680 and justafew like this.
    09-04-2017 09:34 PM
    I started with android then jumped back and forth between android and iOS. I will be buying the note 8 soon. Truthfully the only things I will miss from iOS is news FaceTime and iMessage. I can find an app to give me the same features as news. As far as FaceTime and iMessage are awesome but can be replaced with Facebook messenger. The only thing that would have stopped me from switching was a shared family calendar but with the ability to sync my iCloud calendar with google calendar and have another family calendar in google I think my family will be fine.
    I may have to get Facebook again just for the messenger. Lol

Hadn't thought of the calendar. I do share one with my wife but it sounds like I'd be able to sync it to google as you said so hopefully there's no loss there.

Does Samsung have an iCloud replacement? I may just keep my iCloud up and running for a while if I try the Note so I don't lose anything but how is Samsung/googles implementation of handling photos and videos?
    Sophos likes this.
    09-04-2017 09:44 PM
    Had the iPhone 6s plus, then the note 7, and now the iPhone 7 plus. Waiting on my note 8 tomorrow. That being said, my wife and everyone I know has iMessage, but other than that, I couldn't be less tied to iOS. I simply can't wait for tomorrow. The switch won't be hard, and I'll open it with welcome arms. The note 5 was when I left Android as my wife talked me into iOS, I came, I saw, now let me back in lol.
    So you only switched back for your wife? You didn't miss anything on IOS?
    09-04-2017 09:45 PM
134 123 ...