Bixby on the note 8

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You'll probably be able to do so if you use package disabler and disable the Bixby stuff. I feel like you could just not push the button if you didn't want to use it though. Mine never does anything unless I push the button.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You'll probably be able to do so if you use package disabler and disable the Bixby stuff. I feel like you could just not push the button if you didn't want to use it though. Mine never does anything unless I push the button.
Well that's true, but its close to the volume button, easy to push by mistake or if you use a car mount, easy to push.

If bixby is really the next best thing to sliced bread, they wouldn't have to force it on us, we all would leave it on even if we were allowed to turn it off.

I for one won't use it because they are trying to force us to use it. That's a turn off to me and makes me go out of the way to not use it.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Package disabler worked without root on the S8
It does for me to, but my brother is saying he heard somewhere that if you delete package disabler and reinstall it, you won't be able to block bixby anymore, which would mean the note 8 will come that way.

I swear I read somewhere that Samsung was blocking certain settings on package disabler for "security" reasons. Which translates to no more blocking bixby.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Well that's true, but its close to the volume button, easy to push by mistake or if you use a car mount, easy to push.

If bixby is really the next best thing to sliced bread, they wouldn't have to force it on us, we all would leave it on even if we were allowed to turn it off.

I for one won't use it because they are trying to force us to use it. That's a turn off to me and makes me go out of the way to not use it.
I Don't think I've ever pushed it by accident. Pretty easy to tell the buttons apart, especially once you're used to using the device. Ymmv though

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I Don't think I've ever pushed it by accident. Pretty easy to tell the buttons apart, especially once you're used to using the device. Ymmv though
Well I have. Most of the time it's while putting it in or taking it out of the car mount.

Either way, if it was so good Samsung wouldn't have to force it on us by making it so we can't turn it off or block it. A good product will sell itself, for some bixby is great, for some it isn't... So Samsung just let the user decide and stop acting like Apple.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Since I didn't go with the s8/+, I'm curious about Bixby. So I'll try it. But I can only imagine how many times I'll accidently hit the button til I get used to it being there.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I plan to try it. It's there, might as well. If it sucks, ok. But I feel like it had a rough start on the S8 and S8+ and is supposed to work better on the Note. I'd rather try it and if I hate it, not use it, than just dismiss it cause it's there and annoys me by its existence. But I understand feeling like that. Everyone to their own way of dealing with it. I hope people who use it will post some feedback. I will once I figure it out.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Well I have. Most of the time it's while putting it in or taking it out of the car mount.

Either way, if it was so good Samsung wouldn't have to force it on us by making it so we can't turn it off or block it. A good product will sell itself, for some bixby is great, for some it isn't... So Samsung just let the user decide and stop acting like Apple.
Well I guess they consider Bixby a part of the phone, and those seem to sell quite well lol. I admittedly don't use a car mount that has to hold my device. Mine is magnetic and charges wirelessly at the same time. That sucks to be hitting it all the time.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I plan to try it. It's there, might as well. If it sucks, ok. But I feel like it had a rough start on the S8 and S8+ and is supposed to work better on the Note. I'd rather try it and if I hate it, not use it, than just dismiss it cause it's there and annoys me by its existence. But I understand feeling like that. Everyone to their own way of dealing with it. I hope people who use it will post some feedback. I will once I figure it out.
Oh I'll try it, but until they include third party texting apps, it's a no go for me. I'm not leaving textra.

I'm sure over time it might get better, but give the user a choice, it's not for everyone.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

I really don't like this kind of argument. This is kind of like saying, "I won't vaccinate my kid because the government is trying to make me to do it" or "I'm going to keep using Windows XP just because they are trying to force me to upgrade."

If you hate the concept so much, then go with a different manufacturer or stick with an older phone.

The fact of the matter is that Samsung, much like Apple, Microsoft, and most automobile manufacturers, want to (need to, really) make their products as easy and *****-proof as possible in order to reach market saturation. Otherwise, it's forever stuck as a niche product owned only by a small band of dedicated idiots who insist that the learning curve exists to keep the philistine riff-raff out.

Personally, I do not "talk" to my phone. I have better things to do than to try and find a way to turn off the stupid microphone thing, and when I accidentally hit it, I simply turn it off and go on my way.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I really don't like this kind of argument. This is kind of like saying, "I won't vaccinate my kid because the government is trying to make me to do it" or "I'm going to keep using Windows XP just because they are trying to force me to upgrade."

If you hate the concept so much, then go with a different manufacturer or stick with an older phone.

The fact of the matter is that Samsung, much like Apple, Microsoft, and most automobile manufacturers, want to (need to, really) make their products as easy and *****-proof as possible in order to reach market saturation. Otherwise, it's forever stuck as a niche product owned only by a small band of dedicated idiots who insist that the learning curve exists to keep the philistine riff-raff out.

Personally, I do not "talk" to my phone. I have better things to do than to try and find a way to turn off the stupid microphone thing, and when I accidentally hit it, I simply turn it off and go on my way.
It's a simple concept... Give option to turn it off, don't be Apple and force it on us, if it's as good as they say it is, we won't turn it off.

No matter what phone manufacturer you use, there will always be something you don't use or want, that's the way it works. Bixby is just more of a service that not everyone will want or use. A simple on or off would settle everything on bixby.

Just my opinion

JREwing

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Too bad the button is not a programmable button like the Blackberry Keyone. The convenience key sounds like it would be great. Can program it to whatever you want.

TechnologyTwitt

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site

I'm going to give it a try as well, if for anything, because everyone else seems to hate it.

No, seriously, I've seen a video by JimmyIsPromo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8M-cJYszKE&feature=youtu.be) and read a few articles about Bixby Rewards, etc to get the community to help it develop so I'll give it a shot.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I used it a lot on my s8 plus. Works great. Just have to get used to it. Watch a couple YouTube videos on it. You'll see just how good it works.

If you don't like it don't use it. Your not forced to use it. The button may not be optional but your not forced to use it. If it really bothers you don't get the phone. Plenty of other options out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz