Do you guys buy Samsung’s excuse about the battery size?

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh I’m sure. I know one of my coworkers had the Note 7 and was so upset about having to send it back.

I just don’t know why Samsung can’t be upfront about the smaller battery size instead of this beat around the bush answer.

Is it that important to get the answer from them? We can pretty much deduce the reasoning ourselves. It's clearly due to the mishap they had last year.

They rather not refresh anyone's memory on what happened last year. Especially the ones that didn't even think about purchasing a Note. There are so many people that think the phone that blew up was anything with a "7" in it's name. iPhone 7, S7 etc...I know this because of where I work. None of them could get it right.

sbhnet

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I've got my Note 8 already and I'm impressed with how I'm able to do so much more before a charge than the S7 edge I traded in.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Well Samsung did say they did not want to risk another problem with the battery so they definitely did not hide that reason as to why they lowered the battery size

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
To me it's clear they are being conservative. Should they be? I suppose so after the Note 7, but to me it's clear they CHOSE a lesser size battery.

Raise your hand here if you think a company with the manufacturing prowess of Samsung along with their years of expertise and experience , simply couldn't put a bigger battery than this into this MASSIVE phone. If you believe that, I guess that is up to you. To me, they absolutely could have. So many other companies have put BIGGER batteries in SMALLER phones, safely.

Now SHOULD they have done it? That is a different question, but IMO they absolutely COULD have ..

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
To me it's clear they are being conservative. Should they be? I suppose so after the Note 7, but to me it's clear they CHOSE a lesser size battery.

Raise your hand here if you think a company with the manufacturing prowess of Samsung along with their years of expertise and experience , simply couldn't put a bigger battery than this into this MASSIVE phone. If you believe that, I guess that is up to you. To me, they absolutely could have. So many other companies have put BIGGER batteries in SMALLER phones, safely.

Now SHOULD they have done it? That is a different question, but IMO they absolutely COULD have ..

Could and should, in the case, amount to the same thing.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
I'm with you. But I understand why they did what they did, even if I am not happy about it ..

Agreed. This move, while it's disappointing, proves the the company has learned from their mistakes, and will take the time to grow more battery space over time, rather than being potentially reckless for specs sake.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's a good question. I don't think anyone REALLY buys the S pen silo thing, because the Note 7 had an S pen also and had a bigger battery in a smaller chassis.

The Note 7 also only had to deal with one camera in the design, and a fingerprint sensor built in with the home button. A bit more functionality got rearranged to also make room for the infinity display.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I know the big point of contention with the Note 8 is the size of the battery and Samsung’s explanation is that there simple wasn’t enough room for a bigger battery due to the silo for the S-Pen.

My question is do you guys buy this excuse or is it simply them dodging the obvious that they are being overly cautious because they don’t want to risk another explosive controversy?

To me I’d rather them be upfront and honest then trying to gloss it over because of what happened last year. Especially since the Note 7 has a bigger battery and it was smaller than the Note 8.

I believe Samsung has a size spec they wanted to meet. In order to fit a battery, all the other components, and the S Pen, the Note 8 had to have a 3300 mAh battery.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
It's simple - they didn't want the phone any thicker. They are not afraid of a 4000mah battery - they put one in the S8 Active. A bigger battery is not inherently more likely to malfunction, as long as proper space is provided for it. They could easily have made the Note a mm thicker (or whatever needed) and put in a bigger battery. For whatever reason, they feel people would rather have less battery then added thickness and weight. I don't agree with that decision, but it's their choice and we live with it or find something else.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
So I know the big point of contention with the Note 8 is the size of the battery and Samsung’s explanation is that there simple wasn’t enough room for a bigger battery due to the silo for the S-Pen.

My question is do you guys buy this excuse or is it simply them dodging the obvious that they are being overly cautious because they don’t want to risk another explosive controversy?

To me I’d rather them be upfront and honest then trying to gloss it over because of what happened last year. Especially since the Note 7 has a bigger battery and it was smaller than the Note 8.

I honestly think it doesn't matter.

If they are being cautious, it would be understandable. So far, in using my beautiful black note 8 for 5 days I have no concern about battery life.

The articles out there have gone into some detail about the Sammie's optimization efforts, and they seem to have paid off.

I am perfectly impressed with this phone and with its battery

This phone is gonna be fun for a really really long time!!!!

LGman072

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Does it really matter? You have to look at it like this: Samsung simply can NOT afford to have a single battery heat/fire issue like last time. If the Note 8 does, the entire future Note series will be in jeopardy. Not to mention, billions more in losses. They could potentially lose their top spot (especially if the V30 is a hit for LG). They have to play it safe with battery size and heat dissipation for now. They really don't have a choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair