01-13-2018 02:15 PM
36 12
tools
    Just got this phone yesterday and already the auto brightness isn't working. I'm outside, in the dark, and I turned the brightness up to max. Then I toggles the auto brightness and no change at all. I've restarted, cleared cache, everything and this is already screwing up. Any suggestions?
    09-07-2017 10:58 PM
    Just got this phone yesterday and already the auto brightness isn't working. I'm outside, in the dark, and I turned the brightness up to max. Then I toggles the auto brightness and no change at all. I've restarted, cleared cache, everything and this is already screwing up. Any suggestions?
    I thought so initially also. I did the same thing minus clearing the cache. I think what's happening is the AB is based off the level you set the brightness at.
    09-07-2017 11:23 PM
    and if you have it set at max... how can it get brighter? Sammy's brightness is always lower than personal selection.
    09-08-2017 08:06 AM
    and if you have it set at max... how can it get brighter? Sammy's brightness is always lower than personal selection.
    Samsung phones usually let you go really high but the screen will go into "overdrive" you could say when on auto which goes higher then user settings.
    09-08-2017 09:16 AM
    Samsung phones usually let you go really high but the screen will go into "overdrive" you could say when on auto which goes higher then user settings.
    is this new? never had that be the case on my notes. if I want it brighter, no matter where I am or what brightness setting, I have to uncheck auto to go brighter.
    09-08-2017 09:37 AM
    is this new? never had that be the case on my notes. if I want it brighter, no matter where I am or what brightness setting, I have to uncheck auto to go brighter.
    Not that new -- I would say since the S6 if I recall correctly ? Basically Samsung screens can only reach true max brightness with auto brightness and being in direct sunlight. The slider only lets it go so high.
    09-08-2017 09:38 AM
    Not that new -- I would say since the S6 if I recall correctly ? Basically Samsung screens can only reach true max brightness with auto brightness and being in direct sunlight. The slider only lets it go so high.
    so perhaps it was on my N7 (waves bye bye), but not my N4, looking forward to this on my N8
    09-08-2017 09:42 AM
    so perhaps it was on my N7 (waves bye bye), but not my N4, looking forward to this on my N8
    Yeah you can test it out once you get it. Put brightness to Max and then walk outside in direct sunlight. You'll see it jump even higher.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-08-2017 09:44 AM
    Yeah you can test it out once you get it. Put brightness to Max and then walk outside in direct sunlight. You'll see it jump even higher.
    definitely will try it. need the extra brightness. thanks.
    09-08-2017 09:46 AM
    Yes when in auto Samsung phones reach significantly higher brightness levels than when manually controlling brightness. The note 8 particularly can reach 1400 nits, which is insane
    09-08-2017 10:56 PM
    My auto brightness just doesn't seem to ever adjust itself based on the lighting. I have to move it manually.
    09-08-2017 11:16 PM
    My auto brightness just doesn't seem to ever adjust itself based on the lighting. I have to move it manually.
    Same here
    09-09-2017 06:03 AM
    Move it to the highest level. Then google auto brightness off and on. You won't see it change immediately but leave it and later you'll see it adjusting on its on.
    kj11 likes this.
    09-09-2017 07:31 AM
    I've been experiencing the same issue as well. Just doesn't seem to adjust when it needs to. I usually manually lower the brightness to it's lowest setting while putting my kids to bed and afterwards, I reset the toggle. Instead of the brightness settings resetting, it just stays low and it shouldn't do that. The brightness setting should reset to default settings if you are toggling it off and on in the settings. I never had this issue with the Galaxy s8. Hopefully there's a software fix for it soon.
    09-09-2017 08:26 AM
    Also having this problem. I've been manually moving it...annoying.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-09-2017 09:53 AM
    It wasn't working for me either. I disabled and enabled, and then it started working. Hope this will stay good.
    09-09-2017 10:40 AM
    Also, make sure your brightness level indicator is at your lowest bearable point. 😁
    09-09-2017 10:42 AM
    I am having this issue. Doesn't seem like auto brightness is doing anything. There are no changes when I select or de-select.

Any ideas?
    11-02-2017 10:46 AM
    I am having this issue. Doesn't seem like auto brightness is doing anything. There are no changes when I select or de-select.

Any ideas?
    that's not too bad. when I select it my screen goes too dark so I keep it off always.
    11-02-2017 11:09 AM
    So how does auto-brightness work on this phone? Does it not adjust anything until it sees what your most common level is? I don't get it. Need to know before I decide to send the phone back
    11-02-2017 01:37 PM
    So how does auto-brightness work on this phone? Does it not adjust anything until it sees what your most common level is? I don't get it. Need to know before I decide to send the phone back
    supposedly, it gets to know you. it hasn't with me, but I was told by a mod that if you go outside with it on auto you get extra brightness. haven't tested, but wouldn't return my N8 for that. it has never worked on any of my notes, at least not the way I think it should.
    11-02-2017 01:45 PM
    Its not very effective with me either. It seems to work for a little bit when I restart my phone, but we should not have to do that to get it to work!
    11-02-2017 05:44 PM
    if you have it on Auto and then manually change it form the notification pull down, is it then, not on auto anymore? If I got to settings it still says its on Auto. But how?
    11-02-2017 06:00 PM
    I had the same problem (auto-brightness) and I did factory reset and even sent back to Samsung (they did another reset). But end of the day I figured out it was a VERY WEIRD situation for me - believe it or not, I am using Spigen Liquid Armor case and that is the culprit.

I remove the case and it works perfectly. I put it back on, it stops working. I tried on my friend's Note 8, exactly the same issue. It is just a rubber case - I cannot explain at all.

IF you happen to use a Spigen case - give that a try.
    11-28-2017 11:03 PM
    Does the case cover the light sensor? I don't know where it is though?
    11-29-2017 04:29 AM
36 12