I'm sad to say goodbye to my S8+

jjb415

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
As I'm doing the factory reset and boxing up my S8+ to return it to tmobile, I'm sad to see the smaller, rounder-edged, device leave. :(

I'm sure I'll learn to love my Note 8, but, the S8+ is a great device.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
If you loved it so much and are sad why did you switch. I think the Note 8 is better all around but that's me. Others may not feel the same though. Hope you like the device. Good luck

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The SIM card and memory card went into the Note 8. I'm assuming factory reset took care of the rest?
No. That phone will have a factory reset protection enabled because you didn't logout properly. It will ask for your account on bootup and the next user won't be able to use it.

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I gave my S8+ to my husband and have no regrets. I love the way the Note 8 feels over the S8. I'm sure in time you'll grow to love your new phone as well!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I didn't have to send my s8 plus in. It is my back up phone now. The note 5 is now in Verizon's hands, that was my trade in. I don't know if I would have gotten the note 8 if I would have had to trade the s8 plus in.

With that said, I'm glad there was great deals on the note 8, I love the phone, glad to have the s pen back, missed it more then I thought I did. I wasn't going to get it, but with Verizon matching best buy's $150, and the $480 trade in note 5, I couldn't pass it up and waiting for a sale to come, I doubt we will see better prices on it.

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
No. That phone will have a factory reset protection enabled because you didn't logout properly. It will ask for your account on bootup and the next user won't be able to use it.

Huh? I always do just a factory reset and it's always fine. You don't need to log out of everything

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Huh? I always do just a factory reset and it's always fine. You don't need to log out of everything
Because it's you. You're using the same Google account that was used on the phone before. If you try any other account on it, it will ask you to enter the one used prior to a factory reset. And you're entering that. FRP doesn't protect against the owner. You're the freaking owner. It protects against use by anyone other than the owner. Also this has just started on Lollipop or Marshmallow depending on the brand on device you used. So if you previously had an older device, it may not have had it.

https://m.androidcentral.com/factory-reset-protection-what-you-need-know

Even Google's and Samsung's own support website says you should remove your account properly before factory reset.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6172890?hl=en

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ng.com%2Fus%2Fsupport%2Ffrp%2F&token=ldMGxfTk

jjb415

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Because it's you. You're using the same Google account that was used on the phone before. If you try any other account on it, it will ask you to enter the one used prior to a factory reset. And you're entering that. FRP doesn't protect against the owner. You're the freaking owner. It protects against use by anyone other than the owner. Also this has just started on Lollipop or Marshmallow depending on the brand on device you used. So if you previously had an older device, it may not have had it.

https://m.androidcentral.com/factory-reset-protection-what-you-need-know

Even Google's and Samsung's own support website says you should remove your account properly before factory reset.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6172890?hl=en

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ng.com%2Fus%2Fsupport%2Ffrp%2F&token=ZkMHcTz6

Thanks for the links. I've already done the factory reset without logging out of Samsung and Google for the return to tmobile. What should I do? Excuse my inexperience..... : )

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the links. I've already done the factory reset without logging out of Samsung and Google for the return to tmobile. What should I do? Excuse my inexperience..... : )
Well, you could try contacting Tmo about it. Although if it goes refurbishing, it might get fixed. They may swap out the memory module or something if that's possible at a factory level. Or the entire motherboard.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
As I'm doing the factory reset and boxing up my S8+ to return it to tmobile, I'm sad to see the smaller, rounder-edged, device leave. :(

I'm sure I'll learn to love my Note 8, but, the S8+ is a great device.
I gave my S8+ to my husband and have no regrets. I love the way the Note 8 feels over the S8. I'm sure in time you'll grow to love your new phone as well!
How are you guys finding the battery life of the Note8 vs your S8+

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

No you definitely need to log out of Google and Samsung account. Factory resetting the device does not remove these accounts. This is a common mistake people make when returning their devices. I work at a cell phone warehouse and I get a crap ton of Samsung phones where people have failed to remove their Google and Samsung accounts this making the device useless to sell as there is no way to remove the accounts without passwords. So you definitely need to make sure 100% that the accounts are properly removed.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I do factory reset on all my phones without logging off accounts and it removes all my accounts, erases all data etc perfectly fine. After erasing I even go thru the setup process again without logging into WiFi, or any accounts to make sure everything got erased fine and everytime it's perfectly fine. In fact when you do factory reset it asks your device password and Samsung password so that it knows it's you who are doing factory reset. Not sure about older phones but I own plenty of lastest flagship and sell them often when I buy new phone and never had to log off accounts, factory reset takes care of it (and I verify it after that). See screenshot from Note 8 and it states as well Google account will be removed. On the other hand it doesn't hurt to remove the accounts before factory reset, but factory reset does take care of it if you don't do it.
a18ecb8724f9a2c3778e80c088757c3c.jpg

bmetelsky

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I do factory reset on all my phones without logging off accounts and it removes all my accounts, erases all data etc perfectly fine. After erasing I even go thru the setup process again without logging into WiFi, or any accounts to make sure everything got erased fine and everytime it's perfectly fine. In fact when you do factory reset it asks your device password and Samsung password so that it knows it's you who are doing factory reset. Not sure about older phones but I own plenty of lastest flagship and sell them often when I buy new phone and never had to log off accounts, factory reset takes care of it (and I verify it after that). See screenshot from Note 8 and it states as well Google account will be removed. On the other hand it doesn't hurt to remove the accounts before factory reset, but factory reset does take care of it if you don't do it.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170910/a18ecb8724f9a2c3778e80c088757c3c.jpg

I can also attest to your process working. I did the same on my Note 5 before I mailed it back to AT&T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy