Things you've discovered on Note 8?

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I have discovered that my new note 8 came with a newer version of YouTube which removed the aspect ratio toggle of full screen, wide, zoom.. It appears the only way to get this option back is to install an older version of YouTube 12.05.53. Basically I'm screwed and those who got their phone a week or so ago will continue to have YouTube zoom and screen fit options. Im Not a happy camper over this one. As I purchased this phone as the stores display had it and the LG phones did not.

SpaceyO

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Another thing I've noticed...

I have the phone on a Samsung wireless charger overnight, set to regular (not fast) charge. If I take the phone off the charger during the night, after it's reached 100%, it won't charge when I put it back on the charging pad. The light on the pad blinks as if I've placed the phone badly. It works if it's drained a few percentage points, otherwise once it comes off the charger for the night, it's off.

Luckily it loses less than 1% per hour when it's just next to me so I don't worry.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I have discovered that my new note 8 came with a newer version of YouTube which removed the aspect ratio toggle of full screen, wide, zoom.. It appears the only way to get this option back is to install an older version of YouTube 12.05.53. Basically I'm screwed and those who got their phone a week or so ago will continue to have YouTube zoom and screen fit options. Im Not a happy camper over this one. As I purchased this phone as the stores display had it and the LG phones did not.
You don't want it to be full screen?

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
You don't want it to be full screen?

No, quite the opposite... I discovered they removed this feature for anyone just getting this phone now.. If you got a note 8 a few weeks back you will still have it... In other words new buyers of this phone are getting screwed.. This is not right at all. And most of you will be unaware of this.

Read up on my other post I did yesterday. And go through the links. It's just not right.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...outube-aspect-toggle-missing.html#post5979079

Last edited:

kitmo

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
No, quite the opposite... I discovered they removed this feature for anyone just getting this phone now.. If you got a note 8 a few weeks back you will still have it... In other words new buyers of this phone are getting screwed.. This is not right at all. And most of you will be unaware of this.

Read up on my other post I did yesterday. And go through the links. It's just not right.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...outube-aspect-toggle-missing.html#post5979079

Can you download the apk app and use it? https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/youtube/youtube-12-05-53-release/

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

You can always install and older version that has the features that you want. You will have to uninstall or uninstall all of that apps updates to be able to install an older version. You then just have to to turn off automatic updates in the play store for that app is that way it won't get updated.

I've done this with several apps such as Facebook and Instagram.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

You can always install and older version that has the features that you want. You will have to uninstall or uninstall all of that apps updates to be able to install an older version. You then just have to to turn off automatic updates in the play store for that app is that way it won't get updated.

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

Hi, i tried older versions all night they would not install... i had unknown sources on.. if u know a way to install youtube older version's please let me know. For some reason i couldnt do it... i tried atleast 10 older versiins.. My solution... Is not to use the bult in youtube app... Instead.. Open the browser... Go to the mobile site.. Choose browser to open youtube.. Save youtube mobile site as a home screen icon.... And waa laa Full control of selectable zooming... stretching.. and fit to screen.. by an icon located at the bottom center right of the screen. :)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i tried older versions all night they would not install... i had unknown sources on.. if u know a way to install youtube older version's please let me know. For some reason i couldnt do it... i tried atleast 10 older versiins.. My solution... Do not to use the bult in youtube app... Open the browser... Go to the mobile site.. Choose browser to open youtube.. Save youtube mobile site as a home screen icon.... Full selectable zooming... stretching.. and fit to screen selection.. by an icon located at the bottom center right of the screen. :)

You need to download the actual youtube app file and then install it once you've uninstalled the current version of the app on the phone.

Let me do some experimenting on my Note 8 now. If I am successful. I'll reply back in a few minutes on what I did.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i tried older versions all night they would not install... i had unknown sources on.. if u know a way to install youtube older version's please let me know. For some reason i couldnt do it... i tried atleast 10 older versiins.. My solution... Do not to use the bult in youtube app... Open the browser... Go to the mobile site.. Choose browser to open youtube.. Save youtube mobile site as a home screen icon.... Full selectable zooming... stretching.. and fit to screen selection.. by an icon located at the bottom center right of the screen. :)

You need to download the actual youtube app file and then install it once you've uninstalled the current version of the app on the phone.

Let me do some experimenting on my Note 8 now. If I am successful. I'll reply back in a few minutes on what I did.

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

Thank you.... I would appreciate that. :)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you.... I would appreciate that. :)

Ok, I was able to downgrade my current YouTube version to the version that was released on July 31. The link to grab this APK was posted a few posts above. You go to that site on your phone and search for YouTube. You will see all different dates listed and scroll down to July 31 and you need the arm64 version. You may need to tap the download icon a few times before the APK will download. Once it downloads, it will prompt you to install it.

Also. BEFORE you do this, go to the YouTube app icon on your phone and gently hold your finger on it's icon. On the popup menu, select disable. You need to disable the app before you can downgrade it.

It's pretty simple to downgrade an app. The July 31 version still has the option to select the aspect ratio, I tested it myself.

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I was able to downgrade my current YouTube version to the version that was released on July 31. The link to grab this APK was posted a few posts above. You go to that site on your phone and search for YouTube. You will see all different dates listed and scroll down to July 31 and you need the arm64 version. You may need to tap the download icon a few times before the APK will download. Once it downloads, it will prompt you to install it.

Also. BEFORE you do this, go to the YouTube app icon on your phone and gently hold your finger on it's icon. On the popup menu, select disable. You need to disable the app before you can downgrade it.

It's pretty simple to downgrade an app. The July 31 version still has the option to select the aspect ratio, I tested it myself.

Can you please post a direct link to the arm64 july 31st youtube download.. i can't seem to find it.. Plus it would help others find it as well. Thank you! :)

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

I have 12.34.55 and i still have those options (tmobile)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463