Things you've discovered on Note 8?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I got the VR for my Note 5 and you're absolutely right. It's fun for a day or two but that's about it

You're not the only one. I didn't get a VR for my Note 8 after getting two free last year for the S7 Edge promo. When I got the first one, I used it for an hour and then put it back in the box where it's sat and never ever used again. The second one is still unopened in the shipping box. I was just unimpressed from the image quality to the selection of videos to watch.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
My FM radio works now through my speaker stupid me it was my cable and the case I was using cause it works with my husbands phone and his Spigen case. We figured out it was my case silly me.

Turn off all your data and tell me if your Radio still works. There is no AM or FM receiver circuitry in these units.

Matt Ballam

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
It's not really something that was "discovered", but I absolutely love the unobtrusive text message notifications! That small bubble is amazing, especially for such a large screen. Don't know if I'll lose it when I finally switch to another app from the stock one but it's helped keep me on the stock app 😂

Funnily enough, if you turn off the Edge Light function, this turns back into the pop down notification which you can reply to!

And another thing I've found useful is to click in the end of the pen before sliding it in, that way you don't have to put an awkward amount of pressure on it, it just slides right in!

larryg

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Funnily enough, if you turn off the Edge Light function, this turns back into the pop down notification which you can reply to!

And another thing I've found useful is to click in the end of the pen before sliding it in, that way you don't have to put an awkward amount of pressure on it, it just slides right in!

Matt,

that was driving me nuts. Guys in the verizon store couldn't help and the Samsung guy in the best buy store jsut said that's how it is now. Thanks a million for that

Larry

Matt Ballam

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
Matt,

that was driving me nuts. Guys in the verizon store couldn't help and the Samsung guy in the best buy store jsut said that's how it is now. Thanks a million for that

Larry

No problem! I stumbled across it on another forum. I thought it was a great feature and couldn't understand why they removed it! Very strange it's connected to the edge light function.

kitmo

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site

Hi Matt how cool was learning that feature from you. I had a minor glitch where I had to go into settings>APPS>MORE OPTIONS>SPECIAL ACCESS>APPS THAT APPEAR ON TOP>SELECT MESSAGES. Then voila I had that new fun pop up that I can reply to. I don't need edge lighting turned on as I downloaded a free app for it as my edge lighting stock has never worked. Thanks lots.

Matt Ballam

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
I found that the live focus photos cause a bit of mayhem in the Google photos app if you use that for backing up. That is; when you swap back and fourth from the closeup to the wide angle in gallery, it'll create a new image in Google photos each time... But only 4 times. From then on, you can delete the first 3 photos that were uploaded to google photos, and the last one will then update each time you swap back and fourth in the gallery app. Weird, but you can work around it of you can be bothered!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Probably the worst kept secret but I have a habit of pressing on the phone where the home button is to turn the phone screen on. I discovered there is a haptic button there that will turn the phone screen on when the screen is off. Pretty cool
Thank you. This is very helpful.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it? What do you mean? Describe please.
You don't see the quote? It explains exactly what is helpful.
7ebd5d1c1a3b7c5e01d9b10e8e054db9.jpg

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I've discovered that you can use your N8 has a hotspot even though connected to WiFi. Doing so, you will be using the WiFi connection data & not your data plan

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've discovered that you can use your N8 has a hotspot even though connected to WiFi. Doing so, you will be using the WiFi connection data & not your data plan

While I do understand what you are saying, I don't understand why it would be necessary. If there is wi-fi available, why wouldn't any other devices that can connect to the Note 8 just connect to the wi-fi network?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
While I do understand what you are saying, I don't understand why it would be necessary. If there is wi-fi available, why wouldn't any other devices that can connect to the Note 8 just connect to the wi-fi network?
To a laptop or desktop with a broken wifi receiver. The Note 8 can act as the wifi receiver and tether it to the computer.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess 1 reason would be to share password protected WiFi. Also, my office won't allow my Chromecast to connect to the WiFi, this way I can.