09-25-2017 10:33 PM
65 123
tools
    After finally getting my Note 8, on vacay when it arrived, I have to say that I am lost as to what all of the complaints are about this FPS placement and so forth.
    It's workd 99% of the time for me. WITH EITHER MY RIGHT INDEX OR LEFT.
    Where it is placed is where your index finger just naturally goes to.
    And it works just fine.
    Some people would just complain about Jesus' sandals if he showed up for dinner.
    FYI, the facial recognition worked 100% of the time as well.
    09-10-2017 11:08 AM
    I actually expected to hate the fingerprint sensor. But I have no problem with it at all. It works when I need it to and there are so many other ways of the phone opening without it.
    droidntn, boufa, Jewels81 and 2 others like this.
    09-10-2017 11:14 AM
    I actually expected to hate the fingerprint sensor. But I have no problem with it at all. It works when I need it to and there are so many other ways of the phone opening without it.
    Right on! Exactly my point!
    09-10-2017 11:19 AM
    I actually like the FPS better than when it was on the front. It's more convenient when holding the phone.
    09-10-2017 11:40 AM
    I'm on board with this. I love where the FPS is. I was nervous about it when I first got the s8 plus because of all the complaining, but I love it and I'm glad it's there on the note 8 also.

I personally think the under screen FPS is a bad idea, probably take longer to unlock the phone, finding the invisible spot. To me, LG got it right by putting it on the back and I'm glad Samsung did it to.
    09-10-2017 12:01 PM
    If it's like the S series, I like that u don't have to wake the phone up to use it. Just touch the fps and go from asleep to unlocked and ready to go.
    09-10-2017 12:04 PM
    If it's like the S series, I like that u don't have to wake the phone up to use it. Just touch the fps and go from asleep to unlocked and ready to go.
    It is, that's a cool feature. probably Won't have that luxury with under the screen FPS.
    09-10-2017 12:10 PM
    I am ok with it but still a little stretch for me some times. For example if you need to slide up for samsung pay and authenticate with FPS, that's when I find it uncomfortable.
    09-10-2017 12:14 PM
    It is, that's a cool feature. probably Won't have that luxury with under the screen FPS.
    I had that thought too. Seems like you'd have to touch the perfect spot to have it recognize the prints.
    09-10-2017 12:14 PM
    I don't mind it, and I am adjusting well to it. I find that facial and iris are covering most of my needs, so I only use the fingerprint occasionally.

I love how people want the latest and greatest, then complain it isn't just like the old one?!?!?!?
    j_hansen and dohlo like this.
    09-10-2017 01:01 PM
    I always hold my phone with my index finger always around the area that Samsung place the FPS. I don't think I would have a problem with it. When I had the note 7, I usually use the iris scanner, but sometime the FPS too lol.
    09-10-2017 01:11 PM
    I have opposite experience. I can't get it to work and have retake the finger print several times. It just keeps telling me to put my entire finger over the sensor of which I am doing. I dislike it.
    09-10-2017 01:15 PM
    I have opposite experience. I can't get it to work and have retake the finger print several times. It just keeps telling me to put my entire finger over the sensor of which I am doing. I dislike it.
    Sorry you're having problems but always try and try again. Try wiping off the sensor and your finger. Also just the rounded part of your finger. You have to place it, then raise and repeat until it reach 100%.
    09-10-2017 01:21 PM
    When compared to LG or the Google Pixel the FPS is more of an awkward location. While you hold and use the phone and navigate with your thumb your index finger is naturally more towards the center of the phone and makes more sense for the FPS to be placed there. I've gotten used to the placement but I still feel like it's not in an ideal location. It's not the end of the world like how some people make it out to be.
    dsignori likes this.
    09-10-2017 01:25 PM
    Mine works all the time just fine except for when I don't put my finger on sensor right. Done that a few times. Which is user error not phone error lol
    09-10-2017 01:26 PM
    I felt the same way going from the note 7/S7 Edge to the Pixel. Thought I was going to hate the FPS on the back. I ended up loving it. I don't like the FPS placement on the Note quite as much only because I'm used to it being in the center on the Pixel but it's better than I'd thought it would be, especially with my left hand. I tend to hit the camera more when picking it up/unlocking with my right hand.
    09-10-2017 01:35 PM
    I always use a thin case and with the s8+ I quickly trained my finger to go to the sensor without touching the camera lens. with the Note 8 again my finger just naturally goes to the right place every time withouy any problems. Now I do have to retrain my finger to go to the heart sensor since they moved it.

Samsung did try to get an under the screen to work and failed just like Apple. the current location for the S8s and the Note 8 is a comprise in design that did not require a complete rework of the phones from scratch.

I would rather have the FPS where it is than no FPS [apple].
    09-10-2017 01:49 PM
    So here's a thought... is the FPS in a bad spot, or is it the "home button" that's in a bad spot?

I say this because while I grab the device and my right hand had the natural placement for the sensor where it is now, I actually find myself stretching my thumb more to reach the home button over the FPS. This is my first device with the FPS on the back, so I actually find the home "button" to be a little annoying because coming from the S7E, I'm used to hitting the FPS on the front and pressing the home button in one mption, rather than on the Note8, hitting the home button and then moving up to unlock with the FPS.
    09-10-2017 02:05 PM
    guys i was wondering if you all could help. i have already set up face recognition but swipe to unlock keeps on coming back
    09-10-2017 02:13 PM
    guys i was wondering if you all could help. i have already set up face recognition but swipe to unlock keeps on coming back
    You phone may not actually be locking. Go to settings, choose Lock Screen and Security, Secure Lock Settings, then at the top choose Secure Lock Time. See if it's set to Lock immediately with power button or when screen goes off.
    09-10-2017 03:04 PM
    I actually like the FPS better than when it was on the front. It's more convenient when holding the phone.
    I think it's all personal preference. I hated the FPS on the front. So much better on the back.
    09-10-2017 03:14 PM
    I love threads to try and justify something.... what next, Bixby is really not that bad !!!!!
    09-10-2017 03:35 PM
    You phone may not actually be locking. Go to settings, choose Lock Screen and Security, Secure Lock Settings, then at the top choose Secure Lock Time. See if it's set to Lock immediately with power button or when screen goes off.
    You helped me tremendously here. I was having the same problem and was wondering what was going on. Thank you
    Jewels81 and kevinpleasants like this.
    09-10-2017 03:39 PM
    I love threads to try and justify something.... what next, Bixby is really not that bad !!!!!
    I'm not justifying anything. If you don't like it, that's your personal preference. I actually expected to not like it. I was so used to Apple and where that one was. I have no problem at all with it. I have many other problems I am trying to figure out, but the fps is not one of them. It works great
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    09-10-2017 03:41 PM
    thanks that was the issue
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    09-10-2017 03:58 PM
65 123