What's the benefit of the apps edge.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I mean, you still have to swipe to get it to pop out.
It's like it's just another page, just smaller.
Am I missing something?
Other then the date displayed there on the aod option.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Naw, not missing anything. I think its an acquired tool, you either think its useful or not. I do use it, handy at times, but that depends on how well you set it up.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The way I see it, it's just an extension of the app dock you already have with 4 or 5 app icons that are always at the bottom of your screen no matter what desktop page you swipe to. It can be quite handy if you don't over complicate it and keep it simple

Anthony Martins Rock

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I find it extremely helpful because it enables me to place applications and tools I want instant access to. I just swipe over I can see tools I want to use like an extended page without cluttering at my home page level and gives me access to paired applications. For example I have my music and drawing applications on it so if I'm using something else I can swap over and have my recording applications in there while using drawing or other applications without having ton of extra screens in the normal part of my phone.

You could say it is for organisational mostly. It may be an acquired taste because I have had multiple Samsung phones with this feature I take it for granted as not that useful until I use a phone that does not have the functionality and then I miss it.

In the end of the day it is just an alternative quicker route to accessing applications you use most frequently. Woww this response just dragged on I'm sorry. That's what happens when I use voice dictation instead of typing.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I totally forgot about the paired apps for multi windows.
Yes, that part rocks.
I do use it and like it. But it occurred to me tonight that it really is just another little tiny page.
But, yes, it is useful.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's not a 'must have' feature for me but since moving on from my S8's quite recently I still have to stop myself trying yo swipe in from the right to get my edge screen. I only used 2 pages on it. 1- Edge Tune which is my TuneIn Radio channels and 2- Smart Select which is a really useful tool to have on hand. As someone mentioned above you could also open it within apps so no need to press the home button first to find what you're looking for

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I use it to easily jump from app to app or to my favorite contacts. I find it easier to use it instead of hitting the home button, and going back to the home screen to open the next app. I also do not like a cluttered home screen.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Am I missing something?

biggest advantage for me is that it is always there no matter what app i am in. I keep several of my go to apps there (Datavault, Calculater, timer, playstore etc...)

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I just hate that the only newsfeed that shows up to chose from on the edge panel is CNN. That's pretty one sided.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something?

I don't think you are missing much. I don't see it as that much of an advantage because it doesn't save any time compared to just putting all your go-to apps on the main home page.

But for me it has 2 benefits:
- I use it as an extension to the dock. This is useful since my home page is full of most used apps and widgets. I can always get to the apps/shortcuts on the edge in one swipe.
- I set up app pairs. Although I would have preferred it if app pairs could be accessed from the home screen.

Some people like edge screens because they like to keep their home screens empty/clean looking. But I personally prefer the simplicity of a packed home screen so that all my most used stuff is just one tap away.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on your taste...for me, I like Widgets only on the home screens, so I use the edge APPS function for my app folders of my favorite apps. Keeps my home screens clean.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't feel like I use it all that often, but when I switch to LG or another non Samsung device it takes me at least a week to stop swiping to get to it :)

Like others have said, it's just a handy shortcut that can be accessed from anywhere. Is it indispensable? No, but it's nice to have once you get used to it.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Am I missing something?

I found myself getting tired of looking at a display cluttered with so many apps, often reorganizing my display to minimize apps and reduce all the app icon clutter.

One of my most favorite things about my Note 8 is the amazing infinity display - not just the best Flagship display but the best display ever rated.

With the gorgeous wallpapers available, I have reduced my app choices enough to fit them all on the edge display.

Now I have a completely uninhabited display and wallpapers that are over the top gorgeous, making full use of the of the display.

I also love the new swipe up or down feature for those times when I do need to peruse the entire app drawer quickly

The more I use this Flagship the better I like it!! You did well Sammie!!!!

Isaiah Peterson

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
As others have said, you can use it without exiting your current app which makes things just a bit quicker.

The next reason I like it is that it is a bit easier to open apps that way one handed.

It is also nice because I keep widgets on my home screens so having that easy access to my most used apps is helpful.

I find that setting up more than three edge panels takes away from the efficiency. With three it's just swipe to open, then swipe left or right to get to the panel I want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12