Always On Display Too Bright!

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Basically the title says it all. It's way too bright in the daytime for my liking...

Is there any way to adjust the brightness level manually?

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I don't think there is a separate setting for adjusting brightness for AOD, I think you just have to adjust screen brightness.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe that's correct, AOD follows ambient light if set to auto, or the screen if set manually. I agree it's too bright, at least on my S8+.

I found the S8+ to adjust pretty well but I agree the Note 8 AOD is much brighter which is causing it to drain more battery.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I notice mine adjusts depending on lighted situations I'm in. But that probably due to me having screen set to auto brightness. Basically what everyone else is saying.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Note 8 AOD is much brighter

Wow, brighter than the S8's? That would be bad.

Well, this says nothing:
Lock Screen and AOD
Settings
Configure display settings for the Lock screen and
Always On Display (AOD).
1. From a Home screen, swipe up to access Apps.
2. Tap *Settings > Lock screen and security for
options:
• Information and FaceWidgets: Set a
roaming*clock, FaceWidgets, or Contact
Information to display on the Lock screen and
Always On Display screen.
• Notifications: Select which notifications to
display on the Lock screen and Always On
Display screen.
• App shortcuts: Select which apps to open from
the Lock screen.

And this says nothing:
Screen Brightness
Adjust the screen brightness to suit your surroundings
or personal preference. You may also*want to adjust
screen brightness to conserve*battery power.
1. From a Home screen, swipe up to access Apps.
2. Tap *Settings > Display.
3. Customize options under Brightness:
• Drag the Brightness slider to set a custom
brightness level.
• Tap Auto brightness to automatically adjust
the screen brightness based on the lighting
conditions.

So you'd have to assume AOD follows the screen settings.

Marine6212

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
This is from the PDF that was on this forum
c2b6e04d8d8ed6ab171d55b6f63235c6.jpg

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
With auto brightness on or off its still too bright.. I know it adapts on its own but maybe they still left the same settings from the S8 and S8 Plus without compensating for the fact that this screen is 22% brighter

For my use I basically want it just a smidge above its lowest level in daytime.. I know my particular use is not exactly normal but I really wish there was a way to adjust it manually

For the time being I guess I'll just have it disabled and I have light manager installed so I can see all my notifications by Led patterns

vampyren

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Agree on the brightness, also the screen being AMOLED i don't like the screen to show something all the time.
I would have liked a double tap gesture to show the time and other info.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Agree on the brightness, also the screen being AMOLED i don't like the screen to show something all the time.
I would have liked a double tap gesture to show the time and other info.

You can turn off AOD and double tap bottom of screen where home button is and it will take you to lock screen to show the time, notification etc.

Edit: my bad with AOD you can just press where home button would be and it will take you to lock screen. I just noticed I can only double tap home button when AOD is on.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
You can turn off AOD and double tap bottom of screen where home button is and it will take you to lock screen to show the time, notification etc.

Edit: my bad with AOD you can just press where home button would be and it will take you to lock screen. I just noticed I can only double tap home button when AOD is on.

you can set the AOD to only show the home button (not clock) so the double tap thing should work then

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I do sometimes. When I get tired if seeing everything else on the screen. Lol.

I'm an odd duck. I like my devices to sit in their respective seats and be quiet and still unless I activate them. I tried having various things on my screen on my N7 and never really was crazy about any of them. I like the memo aspect and I'm hoping to get a text and see the edge light go off. just for fun and fancy. not something I'll likely keep on. I prefer to have my screen turn on when I get email or text, etc.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm an odd duck. I like my devices to sit in their respective seats and be quiet and still unless I activate them. I tried having various things on my screen on my N7 and never really was crazy about any of them. I like the memo aspect and I'm hoping to get a text and see the edge light go off. just for fun and fancy. not something I'll likely keep on. I prefer to have my screen turn on when I get email or text, etc.

Lol I feel ya. AOD ain't for everyone. But I got hooked on it with the note7. And it's better on note8. And I love watching the the edges light up. My fiance says I look like a kid looking at some light up toy in amazement lol. I like to be able to just look at phone to see time etc without having to touch it sometimes.