If am buying Note 8 from Samsung using the Note7 Promo, is there any reason NOT to buy the Unlocked?

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If am purchasing my Note 8 from Samsung using the Note7 Promo, is there any reason Not to buy an Unlocked Phone instead of going with say the Verizon model?

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
If am purchasing my Note 8 from Samsung using the Note7 Promo, is there any reason Not to buy an Unlocked Phone instead of going with say the Verizon model?

My two cents.... You can always unlock a cell phone... What you miss out on by not being carrier specific is the installed custom software (also known as bloatware to some)... Although, some of these pre-installed apps can be very useful. :)

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Samsung doesn't have a Good track record with software updates on their unlocked phone's. Usually happen way after carrier variants

Hmm? This is good info. Some things I have not thought of. Although I really dislike bloatware, there are one or two useful applications from Verizon.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Apart from bloatware, I don't want to see carrier logo when phone is booting up. That drives me nuts (lol). I hope with unlocked released at the same time as carrier version for the first time, Samsung may do a great job at updates.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind waiting an extra month on a software update from Samsung, at least any bugs are ironed out after testing it on loads of early adopters first :)

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought an unlocked version because I am on AT&T, but will be switching to Verizon soon. (Need the better coverage) This way I can use my Note 8 till the change over date. Then switch with no problems.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Nope... Get the unlocked
All Verizon phones are unlocked. If you buy a Verizon Note 8 the phone comes from the factory SIM unlocked.

If you use Verizon Advance calling features, like WiFi calling you have to get the Verizon phone. I use WiFi calling all the time while traveling abroad.

Also, on the Verizon Note 8 you can uninstall most of the preinstalled apps.

Last edited:

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Apart from bloatware, I don't want to see carrier logo when phone is booting up. That drives me nuts (lol). I hope with unlocked released at the same time as carrier version for the first time, Samsung may do a great job at updates.

Right, hopefully Samsung will keep us updated with newest releases of Android.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
If you use Verizon Advance calling features, like WiFi calling you have to get the Verizon phone.
I originally ordered the unlocked version from Samsung, but then did some research (I know) and found the above mentioned a few times, as well as VOLTE possibly not working on Verizon. So I cancelled that order and went for a Verizon model. I have no plans to switch, so I'm fine with the Verizon model.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Some Verizon features won't work, such as advanced calling features mentioned above, and Verizon Visual Voicemail. It's up to you if you care about that.

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I think the updates are more timely on the carrier models even though that is ridiculous. I don't need updates right away but knowing I'll get them within the next 9 months is fine by me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you have the unlocked phone can you roam on other carriers when your own carrier has no signal or weak signal?
You are still stuck with the restrictions of your carrier. With this regard, it's no different than having a carrier phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL