Blurry pictures

Mtberbob12

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
I really hope there is an update or a quick fix that makes the pictures not look blurry. All I keep reading about is how good the pictures areas my experience so far has been negative and disappointing.

Last edited:

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I really hope there is an update or a quick fix that makes the pictures not look blurry. All I keep reading g about is how good the pictures areas my experience so far has been negative and disappointing.

Hi, if you could post a couple of examples and maybe post your camera settings (FFC or rear, auto, pro etc) that may help folks assist. I've not heard of any other camera issues as of yet. It sounds silly, but have you cleaned your lens really well with a micro fiber cloth?

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I really hope there is an update or a quick fix that makes the pictures not look blurry. All I keep reading g about is how good the pictures areas my experience so far has been negative and disappointing.
What mode? Perhaps you need to turn off select focus

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
are you sure there's no protective film covering it? no idea, but that could cause something like that. I haven't tried any decent test shots yet so can't really tell with mine.

Ronald Rivera1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

Had that problem with the Note 4 when taking low light fast shots. Hoping this one would be a bit better.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've taken over 160 pictures so far and haven't seen and blurriness. Perhaps your camera lens needs to be cleaned?

Mtberbob12

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
I have taken a few more shots just to see, seems like if there is any sort of movement in the photo that part is always blurry. Is there some setting I don't have correct that would cause this?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If you're trying to snap something or someone moving then you're probably best using Sports Mode especially if the lighting is poor ie indoors or getting dark. Outdoors on a bright sunny day you shouldn't really be getting any motion blur

Mtberbob12

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
This is my hand very slowly waving in front of the camera on sports mode, it looks worse than using the auto setting. I use the camera primarily to take pictures of my kids and pets, but if even the slightest movement causes blur on this phone that costs almost 1000 dollars that is not going to work for me at all.

Attachments

• 20170914_073838.jpg
    20170914_073838.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 68

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
This is my hand very slowly waving in front of the camera on sports mode, it looks worse than using the auto setting. I use the camera primarily to take pictures of my kids and pets, but if even the slightest movement causes blur on this phone that costs almost 1000 dollars that is not going to work for me at all.

That blur is due to a slow shutter speed. You cannot expect to capture motion, especially in a low-light situation. The background is also slightly blurred, and that blur is due to you moving the phone when you took the picture. There's no camera (phone or otherwise) that can currently correct for bad technique.

Mtberbob12

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
yes but this sports mode it is supposed to take motion pictures and Samsung bragged about dual ois in the cameras so I don't think it's the technique. Do I have to use a tripod to take pictures without blur then, this seems ridiculous.

Mtberbob12

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
ok here is another one in good lighting, for the most part the pictures look ok but as soon as there is any movement it blurs. I don't need professional dslr quality photos but when I take a picture I don't want blurry spots.

20170910_105733.jpg

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The picture you posted has motion blur. You are going to get that with any camera with less than ideal lighting conditions. I have a $3,000 full frame camera and taking pictures of moving kids inside is a challenge.

I would try: using flash and trying to maximize lighting in the room (and trying to get them to be still, but I know that can be hard...try making a funny face or something)

I don't Sport Mode makes a difference (at least in poor light) but you can try playing around with that.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
ok here is another one in good lighting, for the most part the pictures look ok but as soon as there is any movement it blurs. I don't need professional dslr quality photos but when I take a picture I don't want blurry spots.

View attachment 268339

Sports mode, as all modes, has its limitations - in the end, it's up to you to know what these limitations are. Low light shots are always difficult, even with a dedicated camera.

If you go into PRO mode, you can increase the ISO and/or Shutter speed. A faster shutter speed is needed to stop motion. Increasing the ISO will allow the camera to select a faster shutter speed.

The picture of the child climbing looks fine.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
yes but this sports mode it is supposed to take motion pictures and Samsung bragged about dual ois in the cameras so I don't think it's the technique. Do I have to use a tripod to take pictures without blur then, this seems ridiculous.

OIS in the camera has nothing to do with motion blur when there is motion in the subject in the picture.

Also, using a tripod will have no effect because the motion is in the subject.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
A tripod isn't necessary, but what IS necessary is holding the phone very still when taking the picture. OIS can help, but can't eliminate "camera motion blur". It seems to do best with video.

Unfortunately, phones aren't designed for picture taking, and touching the screen to take the picture often results in pushing the camera forward while the picture is being taken.

Practice holding the phone steady when taking the picture will help with camera motion blur, but no with subject movement.

edit: A tool like this can help take steady pictures: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...tml/BI/20079/KBID/13844/SID/UUacUvbUpU5973976

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
A tripod isn't necessary, but what IS necessary is holding the phone very still when taking the picture. OIS can help, but can't eliminate "camera motion blur". It seems to do best with video.

Unfortunately, phones aren't designed for picture taking, and touching the screen to take the picture often results in pushing the camera forward while the picture is being taken.

Practice holding the phone steady when taking the picture will help with camera motion blur, but no with subject movement.

edit: A tool like this can help take steady pictures: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...tml/BI/20079/KBID/13844/SID/UUacUvbUpU5973988

thank you for the link. I have mild shaking issues which has turned my best love in the world, photography, into a real challenge. I have tripods for my gear, but using my Notes still present a problem. this is a good solution for me perhaps.

Mtberbob12

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
I use the camera app spontaneously to snap a pic when my kids or dog is doing something so having to switch to pro made to change shutter speed or other settings just isnt going to work. I had the note 5 before this and that had a great camera where I never had these blur problems. my wife even switched from her iphone because she liked the samsung camera. I figured the note 8 would be an even better experience but so far it is a lot worse. if i can't figure this out I am taking this stupid phone back to the store.