Warning about Casemate leather wristlet folio case, messes up S-pen

transamgrrl

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I got this case with my Note 8 yesterday, and the magnet in it interferes with the S-pen badly. Either air command just comes on intermittently, or when I remove the S-pen the phone doesn't recognize when I detach it.

It's not my phone, I've been using it without the case since I noticed the problem. It has to be the magnets in the case confusing the phone, S-pen must work magnetically.

I have informed Casemate and hopefully they can remedy this, until then don't waste your money unless you don't care if your S-pen works or air command pops up whenever.

Just trying to get the word out about this, it's a nice, beautiful case otherwise, I really wish it didn't have this fatal flaw.

transamgrrl

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I've never had a case with magnets in it before I had no idea it would mess with the S-pen. Sucks. Case mate said they'd trade me for a different case though so that's better than nothing.

PhabPhan

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I learned that since the note 3. These days, I either use a wallet case with a button closure, or a side only magnetic closure, i.e. WWW or FYY cases. Those do not interfere with the pen whatsoever because it is does not go over the screen, just the sides of phone

transamgrrl

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Yeah and this particular case has 2 big magnets that hit right in the middle of the screen, or the back of the phone if it's folded open.

Why are they putting magnets in expensive cases if it's a known thing that it screws with the S-pen? They're supposed to be sending me a different case of my choice because of this and the lifetime warranty, and that can't be good business? Lol I don't get it.

I'll be checking out those cases you mentioned too PhabPhan because I do like this style of case. Case mate does have another regular style wallet case, I'll have to ask if it has magnets and where if so...

Bobbert9

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
I'm using the VRS Design Layered Dandy, for 10 days now with my Note 8. I haven't had any issues with the magnet affecting the function of the S Pen, either inserted or ejected, the phone works like it should. Apparently the magnet in this case is small enough or at a good spot. I'm happy with this case.

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I've have several folio/wallet cases over the years on different devices without any problems & I use the the Spen constantly. It really seems to depend on the magnet & where it's located.