andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
There has to be a way to keep the phone from sending such crappy video in MMS. Does anyone know how to send full res videos? I can't remember the workaround.

Nh3518

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
There has to be a way to keep the phone from sending such crappy video in MMS. Does anyone know how to send full res videos? I can't remember the workaround.

I wondered the same thing. I recently switched back to Android to the Note 8, and right now this one of my biggest gripes.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

Some workarounds are to use WhatsApp, Google Photos, e-mail, or switch to iPhone and use iMessage. Current MMS will not allow for full res videos. It's a maddening drawback.

AZwldcats

May 20, 2010
Visit site
MMS was never meant for video sharing. There's a small file size limitation and the videos have to be compressed to this size they lose all their quality. Other things like WhatsApp and iMessage don't use the MMS protocol so they don't have to compress the videos.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
MMS was never meant for video sharing. There's a small file size limitation and the videos have to be compressed to this size they lose all their quality. Other things like WhatsApp and iMessage don't use the MMS protocol so they don't have to compress the videos.

Even pics though too. Yeah my iPhone sends perfect pics and video. I just assumed it was a Samsung thing. Don't remember my pixel doing this.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Some workarounds are to use WhatsApp, Google Photos, e-mail, or switch to iPhone and use iMessage. Current MMS will not allow for full res videos. It's a maddening drawback.

So no matter what text app I use it will downgrade the quality? All of my friends will think my camera sucks lol.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Allo will not send uncompressed video to anybody that is not using Allo to receive it, correct?

The true but I use allo as well because the only person I exchange videos with really is my wife so I just showed her how to use it. It is probably the biggest drawback to leaving the iPhone

franky_402

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
me and my buddy on note 8 and the GF with 8+ seem to send full res pics haven't tried videos yet tho. looks like RCS is taking over since we have read receipts and also shows when one is typing. maybe I'll try a vid and report back since that was the ops ?

Nh3518

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
From my understanding, it is a carrier related improvement. RCS is being stalled because of carriers. My assumption is that you have T Mobile?

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
From my understanding, it is a carrier related improvement. RCS is being stalled because of carriers. My assumption is that you have T Mobile?
That was always my understanding of these limitations are by your carrier and somehow probably iMessage went around them so people with iPhones didn't realize this limitation

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There is no way to send high quality video through MMS. You'd have to use another app. Carriers don't allow big MMS messages so it will always be super down graded.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Send it over as a link if the person wants to keep the video they just download it but this way they see full resolution every time.