Note 8 and apt-x Bluetooth codec

mcostajr

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Note 8 accommodates apt-x? I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Bluetooth headphones to improve audio output. They sounded great on my iPhone 7+ and Pixel XL. They sound terrible on my Note 8. I know Oreo has built in support for apt-x support, but the Note 8? Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

Turbo Brian

May 21, 2011
Visit site
It does. I too was wondering (and searching) but decided to just get the phone anyway and hope it supported it earlier today. I have the audio technica dsr9bt headphones and they will indicate the codec in use. They show AptX. No aptX HD like my LG G6 had but since i use google play music which is 320k it doesnt matter too much. music sounds the same now on my note 8 as it did this morning on the G6. actually, i dont think the iphone or pixel support aptx. so if anything audio should sound better on the note than both those phones. could be a compatibility issue with bluetooth5 if you dont think aptx is working. probably worth reaching out sennheiser.

EarlZ

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
It does. I too was wondering (and searching) but decided to just get the phone anyway and hope it supported it earlier today. I have the audio technica dsr9bt headphones and they will indicate the codec in use. They show AptX. No aptX HD like my LG G6 had but since i use google play music which is 320k it doesnt matter too much. music sounds the same now on my note 8 as it did this morning on the G6. actually, i dont think the iphone or pixel support aptx. so if anything audio should sound better on the note than both those phones. could be a compatibility issue with bluetooth5 if you dont think aptx is working. probably worth reaching out sennheiser.

Is this with the SnapDragon or Exynos version ?

mcostajr

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for replying. no, the iPhone doesn't support aptx, but the Sennheisers sounded great. After the 8.0 update the Pixel had support, it's coded right into 8.0. Sennheisers sounded amazing on the Pixel after the update. With the Pixel I could choose aptx from a few other options once I connected my headphones. I cannot find this option on the Note 8. I've messed around with the sound features on the 8 and the headphones still sound very muddy. I have $50 plug-in buds that sound better. If there's a setting I'm missing, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Did you use the Adapt Sound option in the Sound Quality and Effects settings? My LG912s sound fantastic after using this setting.

Turbo Brian

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for replying. no, the iPhone doesn't support aptx, but the Sennheisers sounded great. After the 8.0 update the Pixel had support, it's coded right into 8.0. Sennheisers sounded amazing on the Pixel after the update. With the Pixel I could choose aptx from a few other options once I connected my headphones. I cannot find this option on the Note 8. I've messed around with the sound features on the 8 and the headphones still sound very muddy. I have $50 plug-in buds that sound better. If there's a setting I'm missing, please let me know. Thanks a lot.
i didnt touch any settings related to sound anywhere. i just paired and fired up google music.

like mentioned above, make sure you aren't using the adapt sound feature or any EQ settings within android itself. then make sure no EQ is in use (if any) in your audio app. my AT's have a reset button if they ever misbehave. never used it fortunately. perhaps your senns have something similar to reset them? how do they sound on the note with the senns 3.5mm cable plugged in?. if they similarly sound poor, then its likely a setting on the phone or app messing with things and not bluetooth specific

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I stopped at the Samsung booth at Bestbuy and spoke with a Samsung representative and he confirmed that the Note 8 does support AptX

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Aptx-HD would have been nice in a $950 flagship phone.
This is true. Would only be fair.

Back in the late 2000s, Samsung was always on top of their game with Codecs and Formats in their Smartphones. I remember the Samsung i8510 Innov8, OmniaHD and OmniaII were well ahead in these areas.

I wonder if this maybe a legal thing, I am pretty sure the hardware is there seeing as the Note8 has Bluetooth 5.0 hardware. Or am I mixing two different things?

home44

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Mine keeps defaulting back to SBC. I select aptX & when I go back in to the setting it's back to sbc.

How to lock the selection?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool