09-28-2017 10:23 AM
151 1234 ...
tools
    I almost always switch back to the iPhone. I buy every latest device. Then end up back on my iPhone. But this time it feels different. Hopefully at least lol. The iPhone x was a disappointment for me. Not exciting for me at all.

I have decent battery life with the Note. Not the best I have had but it's good. I'm almost always near a charger however. Had the Note for almost two weeks now. Still digging it. I hope you find what your looking for. For me I just see the iPhone X as too different and for the first time I want to see real world reviews and see what next year brings to work out the kinks.
    smooches680 and aggie like this.
    09-19-2017 11:46 AM
    LOL... The honeymoon period will always wear off, with every phone you buy. It's what happens after that that will determine your decision. Will you start looking for reasons to not like the phone? Small annoyances become larger as the grass starts to look greener elsewhere.

I think the iPhone X looks great, it's the one I'd buy if I did an iPhone. I just can't get pass that notch up top, or Apple's greed when it comes to ACCESSORIES. I will say Apple does a great job of making you feel like you're missing out on something. But I'd personally wait on early reviews first.

I'm stuck trying to decide between the Note and V30, so I get where you're coming from. But I know that whichever I choose will come with a honeymoon period that will wear off.
    I am not sure I fully agree. I still think my Note 4 was the best phone I had ever used the whole time I had the phone. Will the Note 8 achieve that same level for me, I don't know. I don't change phones very often, I am too busy to keep setting up phones. A phone to me is a tool, I find one I like and use it for several years.
    smooches680 and Inders99 like this.
    09-19-2017 11:50 AM
    For what it's worth - I've been using iOS for almost 10 years.. latest phone I had was the 6S Plus, so I upgraded to the Note 8... for the S Pen. The ability to simply take a note, easily screen write or just the the precision of using the pen to interact with the phone is exactly what I was looking for.

I'd be lying if I said I missed being part of the collective though...things are just a little more polished, a little more better tested and the standards are a little higher (IMHO).

Overall though - I'm still very happy with the phone and the OS.
    queenren and SilasOne like this.
    09-19-2017 11:57 AM
    I had a iPhone 7+256gb and hands down the battery was outstanding that's the biggest trade off ,no internet in returning to ios
    I don't think the battery is really all that different tbh. I started thinking about it this morning and like another user on here pointed out is that we are looking at battery life they wrong way if you have a wireless charger. Now that may seen like a hassle and it kind is but with a wireless charger you never did for a cord or try to find them hole or pick up you phone and accidentally pull they cord our or yank it. You just pick it up and go or you just put it down and charge.

Now I will say that my iPhone 7 plus seemed to do better on battery but there's really go definitive way to tell bc they iPhone stays at 100% for an eternity and then begins to drop off where Android drops off immediately and is pretty steady from there. I got home yesterday with about 60% battery and only about 2 hours of screen time. No way to track iOS screen time but apples processor architecture also makes the processor go into a lower level state. There was a article years ago and the iPhone processor at the time was pretty high off the charts for power usage but at idle it was damn near turned off.

That has always the 1 of only 2 or 3 things I HATE about Android. I hate that battery drain at idle is always high or seems to be.
    I hate that we don't get updates like we should but hopefully that will change soon. And I don't like how lax Google is on OEMs.
    09-19-2017 12:01 PM
    I think this is normal. It happens to me but in reverse. The last time I purchased an iPhone I returned it after a week. Apple makes very nice devices, they just don't do it for me. Android just fits me more. Battery life is not a huge thing for me. I have chargers everywhere and I can get a decent charge in 15 minutes. These devices are too expensive to have doubts so early. I suggest returning it and never looking back. I wouldn't call myself loyal to either platform because I pay them, they don't pay me at the end of the day. I just recognize that Android is better for what I like to do.
    09-19-2017 12:01 PM
    So I have had my Note 8 for about 2 weeks now (got it on the 6th) after using an iPhone 7 Plus (not a life long iOS user, I tend to switch back and forth so I am very used to Android) and of course everything was great and I thought it was the perfect phone. Started remembering everything that I loved about Android vs. iOS and I was wondering how I actually managed to suffer with iOS for a whole year. Things like Google's semi-creepy ability to know where I am or will be going at all times, customization, widgets, apps being able to do more in the background, etc... you know the general Android stuff.

Fast forward two weeks and I have since added a Gear S3 to my kit but now I'm seriously contemplating returning the Note 8 (30 day return policy from Verizon for buying online) and the watch and waiting for the iPhone X. Like I woke up at 6:30 am today and unplugged the phone, it is now about 9 am and I have just been listening to podcasts on it and i watched a 10 minute video, the battery is at 85%. Checking out the battery monitor I do have a mileage tracker app that is flagged as high battery usage, but it says it uses 1% an hour and Pocket Casts uses 0.38% per hour...sooo great now I remember why I cursed the battery life of my S7 Edge every day. I also have been getting a few glitches where the phone just bypasses the lock screen when I push the power button for some reason, doesn't happen often but happen enough to annoy me.

So I dunno...am I just overreacting here? I know full well that I can mess with app settings and location settings and such to reduce my battery drain, but I don't want to. I didn't pick such an expensive device in order to do that. I don't have to do that crap on my iOS devices and I used to end the work day with like 50% left. Really kind of regretting this decision now..............
    I noticed battery issues at first, but I've also seen a noticable improvement since the update came out a few days ago.

Battery also hasn't been an issue for me because I have a wireless charger that I set my phone on just about everywhere....in my office at work, office at home as well as bedside and kitchen counter. My understanding with lithium batteries is that it's better for them to keep the battery as charged up as possible. That has worked for with all of my Samsung (personal) phones as well as my work iPhones.
    09-19-2017 12:02 PM
    Ok, it's already been said that the novelty will wear off on any device, though it took 2½ years on my Note 4, but why would you even CONSIDER switching to the iPhone? They are behind Samsung and have COPIED everything Samsung has done. You'll get a device without expandable memory, slightly smaller, has wireless charging but doesn't COME with the fast charger (that's an extra $70), no customization abilities...well, you should know, having had them before. You've got the best mobile device EVER made on the planet, you'd only be going backwards if you go with the iPhone.
    Oh yes add in there the slaughter of the Qualcomm modem bc Intel is a crapstorm of performance.
    09-19-2017 12:04 PM
    The battery will not be good on the X, I can promise you that. This is the first time EVER Apple has used a high resolution display and on top of all the special sensors and AR stuff, it's not going to be good. Up until the IPhone 7 Plus, Apple has ALWAYS had terrible battery life and I expect this to be true for the X. The X to me is almost a Beta phone, All these new features that Apple has never done before is scary and I think people are in for a wake up call. $1000 is a lot for a phone that has the chance to have a lot of things go wrong.

Just something to think about.
    Well the 6 plus was pretty good 6s plus was good and the 7 plus was amazing on battery. My wife is a good tester of batteries. Lol. If she goes the majority of her days without having to charge up the phone then that's a good battery. She uses the phone for work so she's always texting and calling Drs and such plus add in a few spurts of Facebook and Snapchat in there. I think she comes home with between 40-60%.
    09-19-2017 12:17 PM
    Frankly I'm surprised to hear that the battery life would steer you towards trading this baby in for an X. Just so many unknowns this far out on that phone you could very well have multiple things you dislike whereas right now you have a couple minor annoyances. Like others have said, drop that baby on your wireless charger for half an hour and you'll be set the rest of the day.
    09-19-2017 12:23 PM
    I have been amazed on how good the battery is. I use it all day and at night it is like at 30%. My other phones would have been dead by noon.

Battery dropping that fast implies something is going on. Is the cloud set for auto update? That will kill any phone.
    09-19-2017 12:25 PM
    Frankly I'm surprised to hear that the battery life would steer you towards trading this baby in for an X. Just so many unknowns this far out on that phone you could very well have multiple things you dislike whereas right now you have a couple minor annoyances. Like others have said, drop that baby on your wireless charger for half an hour and you'll be set the rest of the day.
    Yeah the unknown factor would give me pause as well.
    09-19-2017 12:32 PM
    For what it's worth - I've been using iOS for almost 10 years.. latest phone I had was the 6S Plus, so I upgraded to the Note 8... for the S Pen. The ability to simply take a note, easily screen write or just the the precision of using the pen to interact with the phone is exactly what I was looking for.

I'd be lying if I said I missed being part of the collective though...things are just a little more polished, a little more better tested and the standards are a little higher (IMHO).

Overall though - I'm still very happy with the phone and the OS.
    Yeah that is one thing I never agreed on. I never felt iOS had more polished apps when I used them. They ran the same as my Android one -- sometimes worse then my Android ones because certain features would be restricted due to iOS.
    09-19-2017 12:35 PM
    I don't think the battery is really all that different tbh. I started thinking about it this morning and like another user on here pointed out is that we are looking at battery life they wrong way if you have a wireless charger. Now that may seen like a hassle and it kind is but with a wireless charger you never did for a cord or try to find them hole or pick up you phone and accidentally pull they cord our or yank it. You just pick it up and go or you just put it down and charge.

Now I will say that my iPhone 7 plus seemed to do better on battery but there's really go definitive way to tell bc they iPhone stays at 100% for an eternity and then begins to drop off where Android drops off immediately and is pretty steady from there. I got home yesterday with about 60% battery and only about 2 hours of screen time. No way to track iOS screen time but apples processor architecture also makes the processor go into a lower level state. There was a article years ago and the iPhone processor at the time was pretty high off the charts for power usage but at idle it was damn near turned off.

That has always the 1 of only 2 or 3 things I HATE about Android. I hate that battery drain at idle is always high or seems to be.
    I hate that we don't get updates like we should but hopefully that will change soon. And I don't like how lax Google is on OEMs.
    My mother has the LG G5 and it's battery is very good after being unplugged. The other night I witnessed it staying at 100% after being unplugged for close to an hour before dropping to 99%.
    09-19-2017 12:41 PM
    My mother has the LG G5 and it's battery is very good after being unplugged. The other night I witnessed it staying at 100% after being unplugged for close to an hour before dropping to 99%.
    Hmm. Never had an LG Android before. I've only ever had samsungs other the the OG droid, droid x and the galaxy nexus. They all dropped off quickly from 100 to 99%.

The last LG I had was the Voyager.
    09-19-2017 12:48 PM
    Yeah that is one thing I never agreed on. I never felt iOS had more polished apps when I used them. They ran the same as my Android one -- sometimes worse then my Android ones because certain features would be restricted due to iOS.
    Yea They are somewhat dumbed down.
    09-19-2017 12:53 PM
    Hmm. Never had an LG Android before. I've only ever had samsungs other the the OG droid, droid x and the galaxy nexus. They all dropped off quickly from 100 to 99%.

The last LG I had was the Voyager.
    She swears by them and won't get anything else. She wants the G6 or possibly V20 or 30.
    tekjunkie28 likes this.
    09-19-2017 12:55 PM
    She swears by them and won't get anything else. She wants the G6 or possibly V20 or 30.
    I loved the voyager. I just don't trust LG anymore after the G3 or whatever had that bad solder. I've seen several die sadly.
    09-19-2017 12:59 PM
    Yeah the unknown factor would give me pause as well.
    Wellllll to be fair I can always get the X and then return it for another Note 8 if it disappoints me
    09-19-2017 01:00 PM
    I'll just say that this hasn't been my iOS battery life experience at all. My wife has had iPhones since the 4s and her battery life has always destroyed mine, and she has always gotten the smaller ones when those started coming out.

Like I mentioned it HAS to come down to individual use. Something about the way I use my phone just kills the battery since this is an issue I have had with every Android phone I have owned, and something about how iOS handles background tasks must mitigate what I do to drain the battery so fast.
    See and I had an Iphone 6s plus that would be down to around 50% by noon so I think it is a phone issue. Maybe your 8 is a bad one? The battery life on mine is great.
    09-19-2017 01:06 PM
    I'll just say that this hasn't been my iOS battery life experience at all. My wife has had iPhones since the 4s and her battery life has always destroyed mine, and she has always gotten the smaller ones when those started coming out.

Like I mentioned it HAS to come down to individual use. Something about the way I use my phone just kills the battery since this is an issue I have had with every Android phone I have owned, and something about how iOS handles background tasks must mitigate what I do to drain the battery so fast.

See and I had an Iphone 6s plus that would be down to around 50% by noon so I think it is a phone issue. Maybe your 8 is a bad one? The battery life on mine is great.
    Oh no it definitely comes down to individual use. When I had an iPhone I could kill it mid afternoon but I do things that aren't typical (such as streaming HD live video over LTE for hours). My dad with his iPhone 6S Plus doesn't need charged except for every 3-4 days since he uses it so lightly.
    Carrie Greicar likes this.
    09-19-2017 01:12 PM
    Not all, for example, my banking app (TD Bank) has fingerprint authentication on iOS but only typed password authentication on Android.
    TheLegoJoker likes this.
    09-19-2017 01:20 PM
    My iPhone 7 plus battery was amazing. In my note8, I am charging more often.

I know.what you are going through. I wonder.how long will it take Apple to make a iOS update that just makes the notch flush with black boarders on each side? That was my only gripe with the iPhone X design.

I am.giving Apple two.years get an Integrated Apple pencil.
    Momof9Blessings likes this.
    09-19-2017 01:22 PM
    Oh yeah this happens with every phone sadly...I think iOS may have just ruined me for Android though as TBH despite being mostly an Android user, got my first one in 2009 and the 7 was my first iPhone, I have found that I don't seem to care for most of the advantages of Android.

All that being said I do really love the Note 8. The screen is absolutely amazing, performance is top notch, the S-Pen is way more useful that I thought it would be, Samsung Pay is of course brilliant, etc... Sometimes I just have trouble deciding on which trade offs are more important to me .
    Your comments remind me a ton of my brother in law. I'll start off by saying this....if Apple and iOS was REALLY that good, you wouldn't have gotten a Note 8. You just wouldn't. Android is perfect for me, so nothing Apple does convinces me to get an iPhone because I know I have found the sweet spot for myself. It's definitely easy to nitpick little things if you're just not happy. And there's no reason to suffer when you can go back to iOS for "free", and be happy.

Back to my brother in law....he was an Apple fanboy for years, but then he got the original Note. He loved it for a week, and then went back to Apple and hated so much about Android. Then he got the S3 and loved it so much that he convinced half of my in laws to switch to it from their iPhones. Once they all switched, he got sick of it and went back to iOS and they all followed suit. Then he did it with the S7 edge, went back to Apple.

I feel bad for people who don't feel at home with either operating system. I think it's wise to just accept that for some people, neither are as good as we tell ourselves in order to justify a new, exciting device. There will always be good and bad, and you just have to decide where the bad is too bad, and the good is good enough. If that makes any sense.
    cwbcpa, Inders99 and SilasOne like this.
    09-19-2017 01:36 PM
    Not all, for example, my banking app (TD Bank) has fingerprint authentication on iOS but only typed password authentication on Android.
    Yeah that is just the app dev being lazy. Not really an OS specific issue.
    09-19-2017 01:36 PM
    Back it up and reformat it. Im getting better battery life by the day. Maybe it finally settled in or something but I had 60% by the end of my work day. Yesterday I had 70%. Same use and all. Change the sim card, reset network settings etc. Possibly bad signal on your end.
    09-19-2017 01:40 PM
151 1234 ...