09-28-2017 10:23 AM
151 12345 ...
tools
    Apple does a great job at copying everything Samsung.
    So true, in a few years Apple will have what the note 8 has now. But kidding aside, get the phone you like, we can't tell you what phone is for you.
    09-19-2017 02:11 PM
    Back it up and reformat it. Im getting better battery life by the day. Maybe it finally settled in or something but I had 60% by the end of my work day. Yesterday I had 70%. Same use and all. Change the sim card, reset network settings etc. Possibly bad signal on your end.
    If I need to start the cycle of resetting my phone for it to perform properly two weeks after I have bought it that is unacceptable. Signal is fine and everything, again it's just my particular use scenario for some reason. Like I said this happens to EVERY Android phone I have owned, at this point it's obvious that I am the problem
    09-19-2017 02:13 PM
    Your comments remind me a ton of my brother in law. I'll start off by saying this....if Apple and iOS was REALLY that good, you wouldn't have gotten a Note 8. You just wouldn't. Android is perfect for me, so nothing Apple does convinces me to get an iPhone because I know I have found the sweet spot for myself. It's definitely easy to nitpick little things if you're just not happy. And there's no reason to suffer when you can go back to iOS for "free", and be happy.

Back to my brother in law....he was an Apple fanboy for years, but then he got the original Note. He loved it for a week, and then went back to Apple and hated so much about Android. Then he got the S3 and loved it so much that he convinced half of my in laws to switch to it from their iPhones. Once they all switched, he got sick of it and went back to iOS and they all followed suit. Then he did it with the S7 edge, went back to Apple.

I feel bad for people who don't feel at home with either operating system. I think it's wise to just accept that for some people, neither are as good as we tell ourselves in order to justify a new, exciting device. There will always be good and bad, and you just have to decide where the bad is too bad, and the good is good enough. If that makes any sense.
    Lol I tend to suffer quite a bit from "new shiny syndrome"...honestly that's why I got the iPhone 7 Plus last year too, I had decided that I was happy with my S7 Edge until the S8 but then release day came around and I had to have it! EXACTLY the same thing happened here where I had decided I was happy with my iPhone 7 and was going to wait for the X but then the Note 8 got released early and then I HAD to have one .
    LegalAmerican and queenren like this.
    09-19-2017 02:15 PM
    Yeah that is just the app dev being lazy. Not really an OS specific issue.
    Yeah My Wells Fargo app gives a choice. Some things we all blame on the operating system are really app problems. Sometimes including battery life.
    TechnologyTwitt and SilasOne like this.
    09-19-2017 02:17 PM
    I think with anything, after you have had it for a week or two the shiny begins to wear off and you begin to wonder if this truly was what you really wanted. That's ok, because only you can decide what's right for you. So many choices. is there a perfect phone? If there is I have yet to find it, I can say that I am happy with the Note 8. It has features that I want/find useful. Go with what you feel is right for you.

Cheers,
    BR
    09-19-2017 02:45 PM
    Hmm. Never had an LG Android before. I've only ever had samsungs other the the OG droid, droid x and the galaxy nexus. They all dropped off quickly from 100 to 99%.

The last LG I had was the Voyager.
    All the LG phone's I've had will stay at 100 for a couple hours before dropping off. By the end of the day they never got better battery life than any of my Samsung's though.
    09-19-2017 03:24 PM
    She swears by them and won't get anything else. She wants the G6 or possibly V20 or 30.
    Can't speak for the v30, but the v20 and g6 are pretty stellar phones. I had the v20 and my wife and kid have the g6 now.
    TechNut79 likes this.
    09-19-2017 03:26 PM
    I loved the voyager. I just don't trust LG anymore after the G3 or whatever had that bad solder. I've seen several die sadly.
    LG is now extending the manufacturer warranty to 2 years now. I believe because of that issue.
    tekjunkie28 likes this.
    09-19-2017 03:27 PM
    I admit I am missing the battery life I had on the Pixel XL and Moto Z Force Droid (the phones I had filling in the gaps when the Note 7 was recalled.) I am still getting by with charging once every 24 hours but just barely. Sometimes I charge twice a day with moderate use. Wireless charging is so slow on the Note 8, so I generally use USB-C charging.
    Momof9Blessings likes this.
    09-19-2017 03:29 PM
    Once they removed the ability to replace batteries I had to change my way of thinking. I basically solved my issues with battery life if a few simple steps. At work (I'm lucky enough) I have a charging station at my desk. When I'm on the go my car has a charger. When I go to sleep its on a charger. It's basically 100% most of the time.
    Now when I'm out for an extended period of time, I carry a 3ft or shorter cord. I also have a simple fully charged Anker battery pack to go to if I need juice.
    Sorry but when you seal the batteries on phones you get what you get. If you have an app that sucks up power uninstall it and find an alternative. And lastly your phone comes with power saver mode. Use it once in awhile.
    09-19-2017 03:35 PM
    If I need to start the cycle of resetting my phone for it to perform properly two weeks after I have bought it that is unacceptable. Signal is fine and everything, again it's just my particular use scenario for some reason. Like I said this happens to EVERY Android phone I have owned, at this point it's obvious that I am the problem
    I had this issue with the S8+. But with N8 no issue. I also didn't installed all the apps from S8+. So its possibly there is a corrupt app/install causing you issues. Also, are you on high performance mode? uses more battery
    09-19-2017 03:58 PM
    Lol I tend to suffer quite a bit from "new shiny syndrome"...honestly that's why I got the iPhone 7 Plus last year too, I had decided that I was happy with my S7 Edge until the S8 but then release day came around and I had to have it! EXACTLY the same thing happened here where I had decided I was happy with my iPhone 7 and was going to wait for the X but then the Note 8 got released early and then I HAD to have one .
    If I may make a suggestion that worked for me... just turn the battery percentage OFF. All it will do is give you battery anxiety. The Note 8 has quick charging. Turn the percentage off, when it gets to a little sliver find a charger and charge it for 15-30 minutes then don't worry about it. I understand this is not a workable solution for everyone like people in conference room meetings all day, car sales people who are constantly on the sales floor, lumberjacks, etc. But if you are like the vast majority of us, keep a quick charger at home, in the office/cubicle, and one in the car. You will have power nearby, and just don't worry about the battery.
    SilasOne and kevinpleasants like this.
    09-19-2017 04:32 PM
    Apple does a great job at copying everything Samsung.
    Ok the honeymoon period is starting to wear off....-thumbs_up.jpg
    09-19-2017 04:54 PM
    "Grass is always Greener" syndrome. Not real, but tech bloggers make it a thing with all the hype and ballyhoo surrounding devices. Gotta know when to listen to it and when to toss it out.

I was initially hyped for the iPhone X, but then I realized the notch is hideous when watching full screen video and it's just really a $999 Animoji machine. If I wanted to be a part of Emoji Movie 2, I'd get it, but I don't, so I won't be getting it.
    09-19-2017 05:32 PM
    ...Started remembering everything that I loved about Android... ...like Google's semi-creepy ability to know where I am or will be going at all times...
    Wait. You think that's a plus? They stalk you like a jilted psychopath and you like it? I smack that nasty stuff on the nose with a rolled up newspaper every chance I get. You do understand you're being used and all for their benefit, do you not?
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    09-19-2017 06:48 PM
    Wait. You think that's a plus? They stalk you like a jilted psychopath and you like it? I smack that nasty stuff on the nose with a rolled up newspaper every chance I get. You do understand you're being used and all for their benefit, do you not?
    Everyone has different views on it .
    09-19-2017 06:52 PM
    My Note 8 is going on 2 weeks now, and I can tell you it kills my Iphone 7 plus on battery life. Playing music, and so on. The X is going to have a tiny battery, even the iPhone 8+, they are shrinking the battery down from the 7 plus.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    09-19-2017 06:59 PM
    Nanananana I can't hear you. I just opened the box to my brand new note 8 and stuck it on the fast charger. The wind up of the fast charging graphic was worth the price of admission, lol. I think I am going to like this.
    09-19-2017 07:14 PM
    "Grass is always Greener" syndrome. Not real, but tech bloggers make it a thing with all the hype and ballyhoo surrounding devices. Gotta know when to listen to it and when to toss it out.

I was initially hyped for the iPhone X, but then I realized the notch is hideous when watching full screen video and it's just really a $999 Animoji machine. If I wanted to be a part of Emoji Movie 2, I'd get it, but I don't, so I won't be getting it.
    This was kinda my thought as well. The gimmicks seem cool during a big event, but I think they may come off hollow in everyday use.

But what do I know? I've never really been part of the Apple crowd. I've owned 2 Apple devices and liked them, but would not rank either in my all time top 5.
    09-19-2017 07:17 PM
    I noticed battery issues at first, but I've also seen a noticable improvement since the update came out a few days ago.

Battery also hasn't been an issue for me because I have a wireless charger that I set my phone on just about everywhere....in my office at work, office at home as well as bedside and kitchen counter. My understanding with lithium batteries is that it's better for them to keep the battery as charged up as possible. That has worked for with all of my Samsung (personal) phones as well as my work iPhones.
    I wonder if you can use the wireless charger from the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone with the Note 8?
    09-19-2017 07:27 PM
    I honestly still am not a big fan of the iPhone X.

Not just because that notch looks absolutely awful, but Apple also changed how you operate the device rather needlessly with a bunch of gestures that make no sense on some, even down to changing how the power button operates when held.

They had 3D Touch all this while. They could (and should) have used that to make the bottom section respond much like a home button like the Galaxy S8 and the pressure-sensitive button on the iPhone 7 and 8. They get to keep that bezel-less design, retain all that screen real-estate while also making iOS familiar, one of its biggest traits over the last decade.

I would personally just opt for the iPhone 8 Plus. The X just feels unfinished to me. Lots of great ideas but falls flat in some of its execution. My opinions may change over time, especially when I finally get my hands on one, but I don’t think it will change much until next year.

Of course, that’s just my opinion. If you want to try out the X, be my guest. It’s a whole ‘nother world out there full of choice. Embrace it.

I wonder if you can use the wireless charger from the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone with the Note 8?
    Yes, it will work.
    09-19-2017 07:31 PM
    I'll just say that this hasn't been my iOS battery life experience at all. My wife has had iPhones since the 4s and her battery life has always destroyed mine, and she has always gotten the smaller ones when those started coming out.

Like I mentioned it HAS to come down to individual use. Something about the way I use my phone just kills the battery since this is an issue I have had with every Android phone I have owned, and something about how iOS handles background tasks must mitigate what I do to drain the battery so fast.
    This is why these discussions are so fascinating to me. I'm the exact opposite experience. Going back to the early Galaxy devices, (well, nothing before the S4 at least) I always got much better battery performance than my wife's iphones. But...I always had the advantage of being able to swap out the battery after it started to degrade, and she didn't. My Note 5 was better than her iPhone 7 for a while, but its needed a new battery for a while, now its probably about even.

One more example of why YMMV.
    09-19-2017 08:23 PM
    I honestly still am not a big fan of the iPhone X.

Not just because that notch looks absolutely awful, but Apple also changed how you operate the device rather needlessly with a bunch of gestures that make no sense on some, even down to changing how the power button operates when held.

They had 3D Touch all this while. They could (and should) have used that to make the bottom section respond much like a home button like the Galaxy S8 and the pressure-sensitive button on the iPhone 7 and 8. They get to keep that bezel-less design, retain all that screen real-estate while also making iOS familiar, one of its biggest traits over the last decade.

I would personally just opt for the iPhone 8 Plus. The X just feels unfinished to me. Lots of great ideas but falls flat in some of its execution. My opinions may change over time, especially when I finally get my hands on one, but I don’t think it will change much until next year.

Of course, that’s just my opinion. If you want to try out the X, be my guest. It’s a whole ‘nother world out there full of choice. Embrace it.

Yes, it will work.
    Yeah. I felt like Apple wanted to do more with the X but couldn't so they were forced to release what they had. Not that impressive for me.
    09-19-2017 08:42 PM
    So I have had my Note 8 for about 2 weeks now (got it on the 6th) after using an iPhone 7 Plus (not a life long iOS user, I tend to switch back and forth so I am very used to Android) and of course everything was great and I thought it was the perfect phone. Started remembering everything that I loved about Android vs. iOS and I was wondering how I actually managed to suffer with iOS for a whole year. Things like Google's semi-creepy ability to know where I am or will be going at all times, customization, widgets, apps being able to do more in the background, etc... you know the general Android stuff.

Fast forward two weeks and I have since added a Gear S3 to my kit but now I'm seriously contemplating returning the Note 8 (30 day return policy from Verizon for buying online) and the watch and waiting for the iPhone X. Like I woke up at 6:30 am today and unplugged the phone, it is now about 9 am and I have just been listening to podcasts on it and i watched a 10 minute video, the battery is at 85%. Checking out the battery monitor I do have a mileage tracker app that is flagged as high battery usage, but it says it uses 1% an hour and Pocket Casts uses 0.38% per hour...sooo great now I remember why I cursed the battery life of my S7 Edge every day. I also have been getting a few glitches where the phone just bypasses the lock screen when I push the power button for some reason, doesn't happen often but happen enough to annoy me.

So I dunno...am I just overreacting here? I know full well that I can mess with app settings and location settings and such to reduce my battery drain, but I don't want to. I didn't pick such an expensive device in order to do that. I don't have to do that crap on my iOS devices and I used to end the work day with like 50% left. Really kind of regretting this decision now..............
    I say go for what you like. If you want the iPhone X you won't be happy until you have it. Now staying happy once you get it may be another story entirely. Good luck in your choice.
    09-19-2017 09:08 PM
    I totally get it. While I'm not an Apple fan per se, they are simply the best at optimization and performance. If that's important to you, it's a tough thing to give up, no matter how much you may want to. Android, even as far as it's come, may seem a little fragmented by comparison.

For me Android gives me more freedom, it feels and behaves more like MY phone. That's just as tough for me to give up.
    ITA. I have a work iPhone, and the standby battery life is unmatched by any Android phone I've ever own. I don't see quite as much difference once I start using the iPhone the same way I use my Samsung, but I do still see a difference. I don't like iOS as an operating system though, so there's that.
    09-19-2017 10:02 PM
151 12345 ...