09-28-2017 11:23 AM
151 ... 4567
tools
    Samsung phones always start out with "amazing" battery life. 6 months later I want to see all the postings of their battery performance. One year later I I can guarantee that a 2 1/2 sot will be the norm. I'm basing this from experience owning every galaxy except the S4. They are great devices, but the battery degradation is pretty horrible. Not entirely Samsungs fault though, batteries have a fairly short life cycle to begin with. That's why non removable batteries are a bad idea. I believe they do it to assure a new upgrade is needed every 2 years.
    But... but... but... Sammy CEO PROMISED AND GUARANTEED 95% battery life after two years. 🙄 I personally and experientially think his statement is pure b.s.

Btw... I fully agree with you! The degradation has been my experience as well. I bought the Note 8 as a trade in for the Note 5... after an offer I could not refuse. I'm expecting the same warranty battery degradation issues with the 8 as I had with the 5.Unfortunately.
    09-21-2017 02:52 PM
    Has Apple incorporated any way to use a dark mode or theme? I just can't stand all of the white you get with iOS.
    "Enable iOS 11 hidden dark mode

Open Settings on your iPhone.Head over to General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Invert Colors and turn on Smart Invert. Your eyes should thank you now.

Smart Invert, as its name suggests, is smart enough to not invert some of the image colors. For instance, the Photos app looks incredible with the dark theme: The color of the photo itself does not get inverted like it did with the old color inversion feature."
    09-21-2017 02:55 PM
    My use case, is head phone jack to car aux in for driving directions. With the iPhone you can not do this and charge the phone at the same time.
    Sure you can. A lot of cars nowadays come with USB ports which allows you to charge and control your music without the dongle.
    09-21-2017 03:07 PM
    "Enable iOS 11 hidden dark mode

Open Settings on your iPhone.Head over to General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Invert Colors and turn on Smart Invert. Your eyes should thank you now.

Smart Invert, as its name suggests, is smart enough to not invert some of the image colors. For instance, the Photos app looks incredible with the dark theme: The color of the photo itself does not get inverted like it did with the old color inversion feature."
    Oh wow... Thanks.
    09-21-2017 03:21 PM
    Sure you can. A lot of cars nowadays come with USB ports which allows you to charge and control your music without the dongle.
    and a lot of folks (me included) do not have one of those.
    09-21-2017 08:23 PM
    and a lot of folks (me included) do not have one of those.
    Include me on that as well and I have a 2012.
    ol_jackburton likes this.
    09-21-2017 08:47 PM
    Samsung phones always start out with "amazing" battery life. 6 months later I want to see all the postings of their battery performance. One year later I I can guarantee that a 2 1/2 sot will be the norm. I'm basing this from experience owning every galaxy except the S4. They are great devices, but the battery degradation is pretty horrible. Not entirely Samsungs fault though, batteries have a fairly short life cycle to begin with. That's why non removable batteries are a bad idea. I believe they do it to assure a new upgrade is needed every 2 years.
    Thankfully I upgrade every 3 to 6 months.
    09-21-2017 08:52 PM
    I had a iPhone 7+256gb and hands down the battery was outstanding that's the biggest trade off ,no internet in returning to ios
    Battery life on the 7 Plus has always been absolutely terrible for me. I rarely get more then 7 hours out of it before I have to recharge. Exchanged it twice but no improvement. Compared to that, while still not great, the Note8 is definitely better. I also like the more extensive sharing options on Android.

What I miss is iMessage (this is almost a killer for me) and iCloud integration. I use iCloud extensively on my iMac and the iPad Pro I use for work. It's not absolutely essential on a phone, but would be nice to have. I'm undecided about the iPhone X - the 256 gb version I'd have to get because 64 gigs are just not enough would cost me 1600$ here if I factor in Apple Care - that's simply bonkers. Plus no guarantee battery life will actually be better. I won't buy the iPhone 8 as the bezels are ridiculously outdated on it. Plus it still costs a thousand bucks.
    09-22-2017 01:58 AM
    I'm tapped out: $2,500 on Verizon stuff in the last 4 months. But I could give my almost new S8+ to the wife and buy the Note 8 on payments. But she refuses to give up her iPhone. My problem is the alimony. We've been married a long time and the payments are going to swamp the savings on the phone. Going to have to mull this over.
    09-22-2017 06:57 AM
    I am well invested in the apple eco system except for the phone which is my Note 8. They work well toghether with all the google apps on IOS so no need to pick up an iPhone plus it's nice to have both eco systems at the same time. The note 8 for me is almost a flawless device which works well day in and day out.
    TechnologyTwitt likes this.
    09-22-2017 07:33 AM
    I'm tapped out: $2,500 on Verizon stuff in the last 4 months. But I could give my almost new S8+ to the wife and buy the Note 8 on payments. But she refuses to give up her iPhone. My problem is the alimony. We've been married a long time and the payments are going to swamp the savings on the phone. Going to have to mull this over.
    maybe a second wife who would take the S8 plus
    09-22-2017 08:48 AM
    I am well invested in the apple eco system except for the phone which is my Note 8. They work well toghether with all the google apps on IOS so no need to pick up an iPhone plus it's nice to have both eco systems at the same time. The note 8 for me is almost a flawless device which works well day in and day out.
    Same here with the iOS ecosystem. 3 Apple TV's, iMac home computer, 1 iPad, The other 3 family memebrs all have iPhones, over 150 + movies through iTunes, i keep an old 5s for apple TV remote and Airplay (airplay just works better than Google cast).

My last 3 phones have been samsung and so far i have been happy (including my Note 7).
    09-22-2017 08:52 AM
    Exactly! People like to overblow the whole dongle thing but it's really not a big deal. Sure it's little less convenient but like you say, if you leave it attached to the headphones then there's nothing at all to worry about carrying around and losing.
    I take it you guys have only one pair of earphobes/headphones that you would ever use on your iPhone. I have the 7 plus and it is annoying af. I have in ear headphones and over the air when I want noise isolation, especially when travelling. The dongle doesn't support microphone so if I receive a call, I have to take my ear/headphones off and talk with the phone agajnst my face. So, it may be "a little less convenient" for folks like you, but it via a pain in the *** for folks like us who need more flexibility than one pair of phones.

Oh, don't even get me started on when you're on a plane and you only have the lightning tipped earpods and you want to watch in flight movie...
    09-22-2017 08:54 AM
    Once they removed the ability to replace batteries I had to change my way of thinking. I basically solved my issues with battery life if a few simple steps. At work (I'm lucky enough) I have a charging station at my desk. When I'm on the go my car has a charger. When I go to sleep its on a charger. It's basically 100% most of the time.
    Now when I'm out for an extended period of time, I carry a 3ft or shorter cord. I also have a simple fully charged Anker battery pack to go to if I need juice.
    Sorry but when you seal the batteries on phones you get what you get. If you have an app that sucks up power uninstall it and find an alternative. And lastly your phone comes with power saver mode. Use it once in awhile.
    Sadly, I am leaning returning my N8 for the reasons you have stated. I had the S6, S7, N5, N7, and now the N8. Even though I have chargers like you all over the place, including a battery pack, it's still not more convenient and efficient than a phone with a removable battery, so I am back to my N4. The N8 is far more superior than the N4, but not by much, for what I need to do on a daily basis. Moreover, I feel more comfortable knowing that I would never run out of juice. I was at the beach all day yesterday, and had to leave my N8 at home.
    09-22-2017 09:31 AM
    I know there is a case with battery for the S8+ that's pretty cheap on Amazon. Wondering if those are a good solution for those with juice issues. Haven't checked if there is a Note 8 version out yet.
    09-22-2017 09:44 AM
    I know there is a case with battery for the S8+ that's pretty cheap on Amazon. Wondering if those are a good solution for those with juice issues. Haven't checked if there is a Note 8 version out yet.
    Great point. I did have the OEM battery cases from Samsung for my S7 and S7E, but they were way too bulky to hold throughout the day. I suspect the N8 battery case will be bulky too. The replaceable N4 batteries are easier and smaller/slimmer to keep in my pocket.

Update: Plus, the battery cases only added a few hours. When I was at 6 Flags, my N4 lasted me from 7am to 10 pm, with 2 extra batteries!
    09-22-2017 09:50 AM
    I've already ordered me a power bank case for my N8 because I'll be at theme parks all day for 3 days in a row taking videos and photos. No way the battery alone and is gonna get me through half the day.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    09-22-2017 10:45 AM
    Wait, aren't you a fan of Windows?
    Sure I've done, but I've also used android all along since Cupcake and my current daily is a Sony Xperia X on 7.1.1 Nougat. Iterations I have skipped since would be Donut, Gingerbread and Oreo.

Being a fan of one thing and practiced at another are not mutually exclusive so there is no real point in your mentioning what I'm a fan of... Is my pedigree in question? Please ask if you have questions. Should I supply a resume? Do I need one?

Microsoft's policies and practices on data collection, usage and sharing are far worse.
    Written policies and my experience are two separate things.

In my experience Microsoft is 90% interested in telemetry gathering to improve on their product by collecting data from real world use and the tools to eliminate or reduce tracking are fairly easy to find and straightforward.

Further in my experience, taming Google/Android data gathering is less straightforward and takes a lot more time and effort and they are 75% concerned with with what I look at in order to tailor advertising to me and they want to decide for me what I should buy and from whom.

Also, Google AKA Android used to be much better about user privacy, but they have morphed into a greed machine (beginning somewhere after phones and tablets merged under ICS and getting progressively worse since) and they are obsessed with the idea that each and every being exists as part of a herd of advertising consumption beasts and not customers. Their true customer has become Advertisers and not users. We are now a tool to them. A means to make ever increasing $. This is the corporate way.

And here's the difference. Microsoft makes money primarily off software and services so they want those to be consumer friendly. Google makes money from advertising as the vast majority of their revenue so they want to push ads at all costs, including the cost of your privacy. Not your privacy exposed to the governments of the world, by and large, because we are "their herds" and they want us feeding from their trough. Rather the cost of your privacy being negligible for THEM as we are "under their care" and they know best what it is we should be "fed." They've now taken the further step of curating not just how we see ads, but have determined that the sanctity of their right to serve ads should now affect what content we should see lest it impact their ability to serve those ads. I am of course speaking about the recent upheavals over at YouTube such as the Adpocolypse and the new shadow banning practices. Couched under the guise of altruistically protecting people from "wrong think" (and don't get me started on why in the name of all that is wholesome and good a corporation should never be allowed to be the arbiter of independent persons thoughts). Under this excuse of "protection" they are merely trying to prevent advertiser withdrawal. If advertisers didn't complain about the content things would have gone merrily along as they had been. Altruism has little to nothing to do with it except as the misguided notion that Big Google knows best.

That doesn't excuse anything that Google does...
    Just as you said, whatever A does should not be used to excuse B's behavior. So all you've done is try and cast an aspersion toward me for being "a fan of Windows" (and I guess that must be "wrong think") before introducing a straw man argument which you yourself conclude is meaningless.

...some perspective can be useful.
    I agree. Funny how my perspective helps form my opinion. How else should it be? Again I think this is a dig at my pedigree to try and establish that I have no personal experience on which to form opinion. I ask again, do I need a resume on file to chronicle my tech experience before I can submit an opinion? You've not addressed the opinion at all, just myself and my qualifications.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    09-22-2017 11:08 AM
    Sure I've done, but I've also used android all along since Cupcake and my current daily is a Sony Xperia X on 7.1.1 Nougat. Iterations I have skipped since would be Donut, Gingerbread and Oreo.

Being a fan of one thing and practiced at another are not mutually exclusive so there is no real point in your mentioning what I'm a fan of... Is my pedigree in question? Please ask if you have questions. Should I supply a resume? Do I need one?

Written policies and my experience are two separate things.

In my experience Microsoft is 90% interested in telemetry gathering to improve on their product by collecting data from real world use and the tools to eliminate or reduce tracking are fairly easy to find and straightforward.

Further in my experience, taming Google/Android data gathering is less straightforward and takes a lot more time and effort and they are 75% concerned with with what I look at in order to tailor advertising to me and they want to decide for me what I should buy and from whom.

Also, Google AKA Android used to be much better about user privacy, but they have morphed into a greed machine (beginning somewhere after phones and tablets merged under ICS and getting progressively worse since) and they are obsessed with the idea that each and every being exists as part of a herd of advertising consumption beasts and not customers. Their true customer has become Advertisers and not users. We are now a tool to them. A means to make ever increasing $. This is the corporate way.

And here's the difference. Microsoft makes money primarily off software and services so they want those to be consumer friendly. Google makes money from advertising as the vast majority of their revenue so they want to push ads at all costs, including the cost of your privacy. Not your privacy exposed to the governments of the world, by and large, because we are "their herds" and they want us feeding from their trough. Rather the cost of your privacy being negligible for THEM as we are "under their care" and they know best what it is we should be "fed." They've now taken the further step of curating not just how we see ads, but have determined that the sanctity of their right to serve ads should now affect what content we should see lest it impact their ability to serve those ads. I am of course speaking about the recent upheavals over at YouTube such as the Adpocolypse and the new shadow banning practices. Couched under the guise of altruistically protecting people from "wrong think" (and don't get me started on why in the name of all that is wholesome and good a corporation should never be allowed to be the arbiter of independent persons thoughts). Under this excuse of "protection" they are merely trying to prevent advertiser withdrawal. If advertisers didn't complain about the content things would have gone merrily along as they had been. Altruism has little to nothing to do with it except as the misguided notion that Big Google knows best.

Just as you said, whatever A does should not be used to excuse B's behavior. So all you've done is try and cast an aspersion toward me for being "a fan of Windows" (and I guess that must be "wrong think") before introducing a straw man argument which you yourself conclude is meaningless.

I agree. Funny how my perspective helps form my opinion. How else should it be? Again I think this is a dig at my pedigree to try and establish that I have no personal experience on which to form opinion. I ask again, do I need a resume on file to chronicle my tech experience before I can submit an opinion? You've not addressed the opinion at all, just myself and my qualifications.
    There were no digs or aspersions or anything like that, I have no idea how you got that out of what I wrote but I am sorry it was taking that way because that is not what I meant at all.
    09-22-2017 11:17 AM
    LOL... The honeymoon period will always wear off, with every phone you buy. It's what happens after that that will determine your decision. Will you start looking for reasons to not like the phone? Small annoyances become larger as the grass starts to look greener elsewhere.

I think the iPhone X looks great, it's the one I'd buy if I did an iPhone. I just can't get pass that notch up top, or Apple's greed when it comes to ACCESSORIES. I will say Apple does a great job of making you feel like you're missing out on something. But I'd personally wait on early reviews first.

I'm stuck trying to decide between the Note and V30, so I get where you're coming from. But I know that whichever I choose will come with a honeymoon period that will wear off.
    With the V20 I haven't looked for reasons not to like it. Hell, I don't even know why I'm thinking I need something different. It does everything I want it to do and anything I jump will cost me to lose something. Even going to the V30 will cost me features.... Though there are some to be gained though.
    09-24-2017 05:17 PM
    Sounds like marriage. 😊
    You went there.... Lol
    09-24-2017 05:18 PM
    To each their own. Personally I can't pull myself away from Samsung Pay. Being able to use my phone on a regular POS terminal is the real future. You need to learn how to work around the quirks. I would hate to be in a walled garden so quick. It takes some time to figure out what is causing battery drain...at least in Android's case. If that's not your thing Apple does an excellent job for you.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    09-24-2017 09:51 PM
    I have a question if you don't mind.
    Why did you buy the S8 knowing the Note 8 was coming?
    I see all the time people saying they came from the previously latest phone and now have the latest, but 8 never cared to ask why, til now.
    Is it an infatuation with having the latest thing and if so, do you know why you have to have the latest?

It's just a curiosity for me, you do not have to answer if you'd rather not.
    09-24-2017 11:08 PM
    I have the one you are talking about for the S8+ (I think one company makes it and a lot of resellers sell it) and it looks like they have it for the Note 8 too now, as well.

Anyway, for what it is worth - the case actually worked well with my S8+, for anyone wondering. Since it is 5500mA, it will charge your phone completely and still have some juice left over. I liked it better than the mophie battery case for the S8+ mostly because of the extra capacity of the battery. The mophie one doesn't have enough to charge the S8+ completely from zero. So, from a purely battery usage point of view, it worked really well and allowed me to last the whole day and more at Disneyland.

Other pros about this case is that you do not need to carry a dongle for your earphones as the headphone jack is not deep in a hole like in a mophie case, and also despite what some have said - NFC payments do work. You just need to make sure you angle the phone with the open space in the case around the camera.

The cons about the case is that it is not a great case for protection of the phone. The phone is held in place by a flexible plastic that holds the phone around the edge. It indeed holds the phone securely but it makes me wonder a few things: how long will the plastic last as you take the phone in and out and how much protection does it actually give the phone. To answer the second question, I would not count on it with any real drops. It is really more of a scratch protector for the edge and because it's just a thin layer of rubber/plastic, it doesn't offer much lip at all if you have the phone placed facing down. This is not a case for protection of the phone.

Anyway, I know this is about the S8+ version of the case, but I imagine that this totally applies for the Note 8 version of it that I see on Amazon now and that I will eventually buy. It seems appropriate to write my experience with the S8+ version.
    09-24-2017 11:25 PM
    No - you can't... because that's essentially what I did. Between playing around with Bixby & finally ending up crippling it.. then setting up Google Assistant instead... then downloading the apps I want.. oops wait, apparently one of the apps I downloaded is conflicting with Google Assistant... trouble shoot that takes a few days.

Again, all minor things but.. unless you literally take your phone out of the box & don't install or tweak a darn thing, then I guess you can just begin using it.
    IT WAS POWER SAVING MODE ALL ALONG!

* Discovery -> With power saving mode on, OK Google will not work.
    09-25-2017 06:38 AM
151 ... 4567