Ok the honeymoon period is starting to wear off....

Vipmediastar

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
If I need to start the cycle of resetting my phone for it to perform properly two weeks after I have bought it that is unacceptable. Signal is fine and everything, again it's just my particular use scenario for some reason. Like I said this happens to EVERY Android phone I have owned, at this point it's obvious that I am the problem

I had this issue with the S8+. But with N8 no issue. I also didn't installed all the apps from S8+. So its possibly there is a corrupt app/install causing you issues. Also, are you on high performance mode? uses more battery

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Lol I tend to suffer quite a bit from "new shiny syndrome"...honestly that's why I got the iPhone 7 Plus last year too, I had decided that I was happy with my S7 Edge until the S8 but then release day came around and I had to have it! EXACTLY the same thing happened here where I had decided I was happy with my iPhone 7 and was going to wait for the X but then the Note 8 got released early and then I HAD to have one ;).
If I may make a suggestion that worked for me... just turn the battery percentage OFF. All it will do is give you battery anxiety. The Note 8 has quick charging. Turn the percentage off, when it gets to a little sliver find a charger and charge it for 15-30 minutes then don't worry about it. I understand this is not a workable solution for everyone like people in conference room meetings all day, car sales people who are constantly on the sales floor, lumberjacks, etc. But if you are like the vast majority of us, keep a quick charger at home, in the office/cubicle, and one in the car. You will have power nearby, and just don't worry about the battery.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
"Grass is always Greener" syndrome. Not real, but tech bloggers make it a thing with all the hype and ballyhoo surrounding devices. Gotta know when to listen to it and when to toss it out.

I was initially hyped for the iPhone X, but then I realized the notch is hideous when watching full screen video and it's just really a $999 Animoji machine. If I wanted to be a part of Emoji Movie 2, I'd get it, but I don't, so I won't be getting it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...Started remembering everything that I loved about Android... ...like Google's semi-creepy ability to know where I am or will be going at all times...

Wait. You think that's a plus? They stalk you like a jilted psychopath and you like it? I smack that nasty stuff on the nose with a rolled up newspaper every chance I get. You do understand you're being used and all for their benefit, do you not?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wait. You think that's a plus? They stalk you like a jilted psychopath and you like it? I smack that nasty stuff on the nose with a rolled up newspaper every chance I get. You do understand you're being used and all for their benefit, do you not?

Everyone has different views on it :).

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
My Note 8 is going on 2 weeks now, and I can tell you it kills my Iphone 7 plus on battery life. Playing music, and so on. The X is going to have a tiny battery, even the iPhone 8+, they are shrinking the battery down from the 7 plus.

IbeSasha

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Nanananana I can't hear you. I just opened the box to my brand new note 8 and stuck it on the fast charger. The wind up of the fast charging graphic was worth the price of admission, lol. I think I am going to like this.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
"Grass is always Greener" syndrome. Not real, but tech bloggers make it a thing with all the hype and ballyhoo surrounding devices. Gotta know when to listen to it and when to toss it out.

I was initially hyped for the iPhone X, but then I realized the notch is hideous when watching full screen video and it's just really a $999 Animoji machine. If I wanted to be a part of Emoji Movie 2, I'd get it, but I don't, so I won't be getting it.

This was kinda my thought as well. The gimmicks seem cool during a big event, but I think they may come off hollow in everyday use.

But what do I know? I've never really been part of the Apple crowd. I've owned 2 Apple devices and liked them, but would not rank either in my all time top 5.

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I noticed battery issues at first, but I've also seen a noticable improvement since the update came out a few days ago.

Battery also hasn't been an issue for me because I have a wireless charger that I set my phone on just about everywhere....in my office at work, office at home as well as bedside and kitchen counter. My understanding with lithium batteries is that it's better for them to keep the battery as charged up as possible. That has worked for with all of my Samsung (personal) phones as well as my work iPhones.
I wonder if you can use the wireless charger from the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone with the Note 8?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I honestly still am not a big fan of the iPhone X.

Not just because that notch looks absolutely awful, but Apple also changed how you operate the device rather needlessly with a bunch of gestures that make no sense on some, even down to changing how the power button operates when held.

They had 3D Touch all this while. They could (and should) have used that to make the bottom section respond much like a home button like the Galaxy S8 and the pressure-sensitive button on the iPhone 7 and 8. They get to keep that bezel-less design, retain all that screen real-estate while also making iOS familiar, one of its biggest traits over the last decade.

I would personally just opt for the iPhone 8 Plus. The X just feels unfinished to me. Lots of great ideas but falls flat in some of its execution. My opinions may change over time, especially when I finally get my hands on one, but I don’t think it will change much until next year.

Of course, that’s just my opinion. If you want to try out the X, be my guest. It’s a whole ‘nother world out there full of choice. Embrace it.

I wonder if you can use the wireless charger from the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone with the Note 8?
Yes, it will work.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I'll just say that this hasn't been my iOS battery life experience at all. My wife has had iPhones since the 4s and her battery life has always destroyed mine, and she has always gotten the smaller ones when those started coming out.

Like I mentioned it HAS to come down to individual use. Something about the way I use my phone just kills the battery since this is an issue I have had with every Android phone I have owned, and something about how iOS handles background tasks must mitigate what I do to drain the battery so fast.

This is why these discussions are so fascinating to me. I'm the exact opposite experience. Going back to the early Galaxy devices, (well, nothing before the S4 at least) I always got much better battery performance than my wife's iphones. But...I always had the advantage of being able to swap out the battery after it started to degrade, and she didn't. My Note 5 was better than her iPhone 7 for a while, but its needed a new battery for a while, now its probably about even.

One more example of why YMMV.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I honestly still am not a big fan of the iPhone X.

Not just because that notch looks absolutely awful, but Apple also changed how you operate the device rather needlessly with a bunch of gestures that make no sense on some, even down to changing how the power button operates when held.

They had 3D Touch all this while. They could (and should) have used that to make the bottom section respond much like a home button like the Galaxy S8 and the pressure-sensitive button on the iPhone 7 and 8. They get to keep that bezel-less design, retain all that screen real-estate while also making iOS familiar, one of its biggest traits over the last decade.

I would personally just opt for the iPhone 8 Plus. The X just feels unfinished to me. Lots of great ideas but falls flat in some of its execution. My opinions may change over time, especially when I finally get my hands on one, but I don’t think it will change much until next year.

Of course, that’s just my opinion. If you want to try out the X, be my guest. It’s a whole ‘nother world out there full of choice. Embrace it.

Yes, it will work.
Yeah. I felt like Apple wanted to do more with the X but couldn't so they were forced to release what they had. Not that impressive for me.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
So I have had my Note 8 for about 2 weeks now (got it on the 6th) after using an iPhone 7 Plus (not a life long iOS user, I tend to switch back and forth so I am very used to Android) and of course everything was great and I thought it was the perfect phone. Started remembering everything that I loved about Android vs. iOS and I was wondering how I actually managed to suffer with iOS for a whole year. Things like Google's semi-creepy ability to know where I am or will be going at all times, customization, widgets, apps being able to do more in the background, etc... you know the general Android stuff.

Fast forward two weeks and I have since added a Gear S3 to my kit but now I'm seriously contemplating returning the Note 8 (30 day return policy from Verizon for buying online) and the watch and waiting for the iPhone X. Like I woke up at 6:30 am today and unplugged the phone, it is now about 9 am and I have just been listening to podcasts on it and i watched a 10 minute video, the battery is at 85%. Checking out the battery monitor I do have a mileage tracker app that is flagged as high battery usage, but it says it uses 1% an hour and Pocket Casts uses 0.38% per hour...sooo great now I remember why I cursed the battery life of my S7 Edge every day. I also have been getting a few glitches where the phone just bypasses the lock screen when I push the power button for some reason, doesn't happen often but happen enough to annoy me.

So I dunno...am I just overreacting here? I know full well that I can mess with app settings and location settings and such to reduce my battery drain, but I don't want to. I didn't pick such an expensive device in order to do that. I don't have to do that crap on my iOS devices and I used to end the work day with like 50% left. Really kind of regretting this decision now..............
I say go for what you like. If you want the iPhone X you won't be happy until you have it. Now staying happy once you get it may be another story entirely. Good luck in your choice.

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I totally get it. While I'm not an Apple fan per se, they are simply the best at optimization and performance. If that's important to you, it's a tough thing to give up, no matter how much you may want to. Android, even as far as it's come, may seem a little fragmented by comparison.

For me Android gives me more freedom, it feels and behaves more like MY phone. That's just as tough for me to give up.
ITA. I have a work iPhone, and the standby battery life is unmatched by any Android phone I've ever own. I don't see quite as much difference once I start using the iPhone the same way I use my Samsung, but I do still see a difference. I don't like iOS as an operating system though, so there's that.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah this happens with every phone sadly...I think iOS may have just ruined me for Android though as TBH despite being mostly an Android user, got my first one in 2009 and the 7 was my first iPhone, I have found that I don't seem to care for most of the advantages of Android.

All that being said I do really love the Note 8. The screen is absolutely amazing, performance is top notch, the S-Pen is way more useful that I thought it would be, Samsung Pay is of course brilliant, etc... Sometimes I just have trouble deciding on which trade offs are more important to me ;).

You named all these goods about Note 8, yet you said you dun care about the advantages of Android.

The answer is obvious.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
See I've used iPhones in the past and while they are great and all I am obsessed with customizing my phone and making it the way I want it. Thats why I love android.

As far as the note 8, this phone is my favorite Android of 2017. It is the one phone keeping me from my pixel... Even the s8+ couldn't do that.

Maybe it is the addition of the spen... I don't know.

Looking at the leaks of the pixel 2 xl makes my decision to get the note 8 even better.

I think I'm about to get a job at Verizon so I may decide to have 2 phones (one for customers and one for personal) and maybe that one will be the iphone x... I haven't decided yet.

Either way... I have had awesome battery life on this thing and little background battery drain... How android should be.

My pixel is getting the same way without root but it is taking software updates to get there.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
interesting thread. I used to be an iPhone fan but have been on various android phones since the galaxy S3. currently using an s7 edge I was certain I would never go back to the iPhone. nearly got the s8 plus and then keep almost buying the note 8 but something is making me look at the iPhone. and it's not the X, it's the 8 plus.

every time I see my s7 edge lag or the battery life fall quickly it just makes me wonder about iOS again. I have read that the s8 and note 8 are much better in software terms now but thats what they said about the s7 edge too and it has still degraded badly over time despite flashing new firmware. maybe I would be bored with iOS after all this time on android I don't know but there is something about the seemless hardware/software approach of the iPhone that does appeal right now

Merkitten

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I stressed a little bit about battery, even though minesbeen pretty good actually... til i thought about it: i have a charger at home in my bedroom AND living room, one in my car, ; one at work. the time i spens away from one is afewhours at best, if im going out. So.. it just doesnt matter. itsnot like im going camping or going on field ops where i literally have no access to a chargerfor days. Also, there are some great portable chargers nowadays. i have a big (8000mah i think) one, and then i have a little lipstick sized 2200mah one i keep inmy purse for emergencies.

my opinion-if theres other reasons you dont like the phone, return it, but if its just about the juice-dont sweat it.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't believe the new apple devices will wow everyone like the note 8 has. Apple needs to allow more personalization before they even have a chance to compete with Samsung. Most people stick with Apple for I message I use my iPad pro when I need to use I message.