Ok the honeymoon period is starting to wear off....

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Oh I'm sure they do, now you have this stupid little dongle to carry around and pray you do not lose and ontop of it you can't charge your phone while using it
Although I don't have a iPhone any more I didn't carry around a dongle. I merely attached it to my headphones and left it there. It never got lost that way.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh I'm sure they do, now you have this stupid little dongle to carry around and pray you do not lose and ontop of it you can't charge your phone while using it
I think they have adapters that can charge and do music. It doesn't come with the phone though.

stuckingoo

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I came from a 7 Plus also. But I've done this rodeo before and knew the plus phones just last forever on battery and will crush Android phones every time. I get a kick out of reading the battery comparison tests where the iPhone wins by a small margin but it's really not small. That said the 8 plus was out of the question. The big bezels and comparatively awful screen eliminated that option. And the X I'm afraid will be back ordered for a long while and I'm not crazy about that notch, and have a gut feeling the battery will not perform like the pluses. So I keep a wireless charger nearby and am quite satisfied with battery life. Keep in mind you'll be using a new phone alot more after you get it than months down the road. The latest Samsungs are great, beautiful devices IMHO.

NeoGrandizer

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I have had battery issues with EVERY. SINGLE. Android phone I have ever had and I always hear people say in their usage they have amazing battery life. At this point I can only assume that the issue lies with me and how I use my phones and the apps I use on them. For example it has been a half hour since I posted and I am already down to 79% battery, I am constantly at a loss for what to do :/
Have you tried the device maintenance to see if that helps? I have power saving mode enabled at the mid level. Performance mode is set to optimized. But of course YMMV based on what's being done and if there are resource hogs that can affect the device.

I love it so far and only had it for a few days. But I guess going from a Note 2 to this monster is bound to do that. :D

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Although I don't have a iPhone any more I didn't carry around a dongle. I merely attached it to my headphones and left it there. It never got lost that way.

Not a full solution to that since I use the headphone jack in my vehicle for music and then at work for my headphones, so uncless I purchased multiples of these, it's going to get lost lol. Just seems like a stupid compromise I have to make over them just wanting to net more profits and make people buy their products instead. Because it sure doesn't have to do with water proofing. Samsung phones have a higher water proof rating than Apple WITH the headphone jack

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Not a full solution to that since I use the headphone jack in my vehicle for music and then at work for my headphones, so uncless I purchased multiples of these, it's going to get lost lol. Just seems like a stupid compromise I have to make over them just wanting to net more profits and make people buy their products instead. Because it sure doesn't have to do with water proofing. Samsung phones have a higher water proof rating than Apple WITH the headphone jack
Never said it was a full solution as anyone could have a million different uses.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
the sad thing is with the headphone jack is that other manufacturers are now following suit. I think Moto have dropped it, and maybe HTC and now the next pixel is rumoured to be jack-less too. good of Samsung to keep it but I don't imagine it'll be forever. at least all other phone use the same usb type c standard though, unlike the iPhone

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Well Moto dropped it first but yeah. Although I don't use it much. It's better have and not need. Than to need and not have. More options are better.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
the sad thing is with the headphone jack is that other manufacturers are now following suit. I think Moto have dropped it, and maybe HTC and now the next pixel is rumoured to be jack-less too. good of Samsung to keep it but I don't imagine it'll be forever. at least all other phone use the same usb type c standard though, unlike the iPhone

And google actually mocked Apple on the headphone jack removal when they launched Pixel. Now they are following it for Pixel 2.

TechnologyTwitt

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
But you don't HAVE to do all those things, it's still a choice.

You can just as easily pull a Note 8 out of the box, load several rows of apps, and just begin using it, and you still have the added option of the Pen.

No - you can't... because that's essentially what I did. Between playing around with Bixby & finally ending up crippling it.. then setting up Google Assistant instead... then downloading the apps I want.. oops wait, apparently one of the apps I downloaded is conflicting with Google Assistant... trouble shoot that takes a few days.

Again, all minor things but.. unless you literally take your phone out of the box & don't install or tweak a darn thing, then I guess you can just begin using it.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Lets not pretend like the iphone 8 plus and X don't have the best cameras on the market and a main reason why people would want to go back to iOS. 240fps at 1080p and 4k at 60fps aint no joke. High end DSLR and camcorders are the only things that have this. Regardless of what anyone says, a 7 plus will outlast any android phone in day to day use with the exception of the few battery behemoth android phones like the last gen moto z force, or mate 9. A 7 plus will consistently give you 7-8 hours of SOT if not MORE.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Lets not pretend like the iphone 8 plus and X don't have the best cameras on the market and a main reason why people would want to go back to iOS. 240fps at 1080p and 4k at 60fps aint no joke. High end DSLR and camcorders are the only things that have this. Regardless of what anyone says, a 7 plus will outlast any android phone in day to day use with the exception of the few battery behemoth android phones like the last gen moto z force, or mate 9. A 7 plus will consistently give you 7-8 hours of SOT if not MORE.

Let's also not pretend that everyone cares about those things, especially compared to the monster that is the Note 8 and it's own functionality dominance.

While the IPhone obviously has its advantages in the performance dept. Folks here still chose the Note so...

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
No - you can't... because that's essentially what I did. Between playing around with Bixby & finally ending up crippling it.. then setting up Google Assistant instead... then downloading the apps I want.. oops wait, apparently one of the apps I downloaded is conflicting with Google Assistant... trouble shoot that takes a few days.

Again, all minor things but.. unless you literally take your phone out of the box & don't install or tweak a darn thing, then I guess you can just begin using it.

You absolutely can. But then why buy an Android? Android is all about customization and tweaking, to make it feel like your phone. There would be no point otherwise.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I actually agree with you. My wife is still on the 6 plus. I'm giving her my 7 plus, but that thing still runs great. I also think for the average user the iPhone camera is a great device, but I'm damn happy to have my note again after last year's debacle.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
The battery life on my 7+ was stupid great when I first got it. And it was for a while. But for several months it's been marginal at best. There has been VERY few days in the recent months that I haven't had to charge it some to finish my day. Performance dropped a little but not much. The thing that drove me crazy with ios is the slow animations. I absolutely can't stand them.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Exactly! People like to overblow the whole dongle thing but it's really not a big deal. Sure it's little less convenient but like you say, if you leave it attached to the headphones then there's nothing at all to worry about carrying around and losing.