Ok the honeymoon period is starting to wear off....

ronin_cse

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
So I have had my Note 8 for about 2 weeks now (got it on the 6th) after using an iPhone 7 Plus (not a life long iOS user, I tend to switch back and forth so I am very used to Android) and of course everything was great and I thought it was the perfect phone. Started remembering everything that I loved about Android vs. iOS and I was wondering how I actually managed to suffer with iOS for a whole year. Things like Google's semi-creepy ability to know where I am or will be going at all times, customization, widgets, apps being able to do more in the background, etc... you know the general Android stuff.

Fast forward two weeks and I have since added a Gear S3 to my kit but now I'm seriously contemplating returning the Note 8 (30 day return policy from Verizon for buying online) and the watch and waiting for the iPhone X. Like I woke up at 6:30 am today and unplugged the phone, it is now about 9 am and I have just been listening to podcasts on it and i watched a 10 minute video, the battery is at 85%. Checking out the battery monitor I do have a mileage tracker app that is flagged as high battery usage, but it says it uses 1% an hour and Pocket Casts uses 0.38% per hour...sooo great now I remember why I cursed the battery life of my S7 Edge every day. I also have been getting a few glitches where the phone just bypasses the lock screen when I push the power button for some reason, doesn't happen often but happen enough to annoy me.

So I dunno...am I just overreacting here? I know full well that I can mess with app settings and location settings and such to reduce my battery drain, but I don't want to. I didn't pick such an expensive device in order to do that. I don't have to do that crap on my iOS devices and I used to end the work day with like 50% left. Really kind of regretting this decision now..............

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
JMHO - you will always find something to dislike or be discontent about, with every phone, if you look for it. There's nothing wrong with switching back to the iPhone if that's where you're more comfortable and content.

That's what's so beautiful about all the technology available to us - there's something for everyone! My something may not be your something, and that's ok!

Only you can answer what's the best choice for you, your wants and your needs in a phone.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
That's about it. If you feel you need to switch go right ahead. There is a phone for everyone. Everyone has different needs.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
LOL... The honeymoon period will always wear off, with every phone you buy. It's what happens after that that will determine your decision. Will you start looking for reasons to not like the phone? Small annoyances become larger as the grass starts to look greener elsewhere.

I think the iPhone X looks great, it's the one I'd buy if I did an iPhone. I just can't get pass that notch up top, or Apple's greed when it comes to ACCESSORIES. I will say Apple does a great job of making you feel like you're missing out on something. But I'd personally wait on early reviews first.

I'm stuck trying to decide between the Note and V30, so I get where you're coming from. But I know that whichever I choose will come with a honeymoon period that will wear off.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
So I have had my Note 8 for about 2 weeks now (got it on the 6th) after using an iPhone 7 Plus (not a life long iOS user, I tend to switch back and forth so I am very used to Android) and of course everything was great and I thought it was the perfect phone. Started remembering everything that I loved about Android vs. iOS and I was wondering how I actually managed to suffer with iOS for a whole year. Things like Google's semi-creepy ability to know where I am or will be going at all times, customization, widgets, apps being able to do more in the background, etc... you know the general Android stuff.

Fast forward two weeks and I have since added a Gear S3 to my kit but now I'm seriously contemplating returning the Note 8 (30 day return policy from Verizon for buying online) and the watch and waiting for the iPhone X. Like I woke up at 6:30 am today and unplugged the phone, it is now about 9 am and I have just been listening to podcasts on it and i watched a 10 minute video, the battery is at 85%. Checking out the battery monitor I do have a mileage tracker app that is flagged as high battery usage, but it says it uses 1% an hour and Pocket Casts uses 0.38% per hour...sooo great now I remember why I cursed the battery life of my S7 Edge every day. I also have been getting a few glitches where the phone just bypasses the lock screen when I push the power button for some reason, doesn't happen often but happen enough to annoy me.

So I dunno...am I just overreacting here? I know full well that I can mess with app settings and location settings and such to reduce my battery drain, but I don't want to. I didn't pick such an expensive device in order to do that. I don't have to do that crap on my iOS devices and I used to end the work day with like 50% left. Really kind of regretting this decision now..............
I had a iPhone 7+256gb and hands down the battery was outstanding that's the biggest trade off ,no internet in returning to ios

NYVET

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I find the battery is amazing, I got my phone on the 5th and I'm on vacation so I've spent all day, every day on this device and 16-17 hours later when I finally go to bed I have 25% left.

ronin_cse

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
LOL... The honeymoon period will always wear off, with every phone you buy. It's what happens after that that will determine your decision. Will you start looking for reasons to not like the phone? Small annoyances become larger as the grass starts to look greener elsewhere.

I think the iPhone X looks great, it's the one I'd buy if I did an iPhone. I just can't get pass that notch up top, or Apple's greed when it comes to ACCESSORIES. I will say Apple does a great job of making you feel like you're missing out on something. But I'd personally wait on early reviews first.

I'm stuck trying to decide between the Note and V30, so I get where you're coming from. But I know that whichever I choose will come with a honeymoon period that will wear off.

Oh yeah this happens with every phone sadly...I think iOS may have just ruined me for Android though as TBH despite being mostly an Android user, got my first one in 2009 and the 7 was my first iPhone, I have found that I don't seem to care for most of the advantages of Android.

All that being said I do really love the Note 8. The screen is absolutely amazing, performance is top notch, the S-Pen is way more useful that I thought it would be, Samsung Pay is of course brilliant, etc... Sometimes I just have trouble deciding on which trade offs are more important to me ;).

ronin_cse

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I find the battery is amazing, I got my phone on the 5th and I'm on vacation so I've spent all day, every day on this device and 16-17 hours later when I finally go to bed I have 25% left.

I have had battery issues with EVERY. SINGLE. Android phone I have ever had and I always hear people say in their usage they have amazing battery life. At this point I can only assume that the issue lies with me and how I use my phones and the apps I use on them. For example it has been a half hour since I posted and I am already down to 79% battery, I am constantly at a loss for what to do :/

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
The new iPhone will not be all that they are saying and android is and always be more customizable than Apple. I am all Apple except for my phone love the Mac books and iPad but the iPhone sucks in my opinion.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

Get the iPhone 8 Plus.

Cheers!

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I've had mine since the 5th and sure, if I wanted to nitpick I could probably find a couple of things to be annoyed about but I really love the phone, and I didn't expect perfection,
nothing's perfect. Just depends on what system you are more comfortable with, and what your priorities are and only you know that. Good luck.

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Just my 2 cents I don't see the iPhone X being the answer to your battery issues. It's a smaller phone than the plus and will probably get closer to the regular size iPhone in battery life. If you'd switch back to ios I'd get the 8 plus.

NYVET

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have had battery issues with EVERY. SINGLE. Android phone I have ever had and I always hear people say in their usage they have amazing battery life. At this point I can only assume that the issue lies with me and how I use my phones and the apps I use on them. For example it has been a half hour since I posted and I am already down to 79% battery, I am constantly at a loss for what to do :/

Could be a bad one, someone in a Facebook group had a bad one and is getting a replacement. I have auto brightness on, and have been using the crap out of this, I truly love it, even if the battery DID suck, cuz I have chargers all over LOL.

ronin_cse

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok, is already been said that the novelty will wear off on any device, though it took 2½ years on my Note 4, but why is you even consider switching to the iPhone? They are behind Samsung and have COPIED everything Samsung has done. You'll get a device without expandable memory, slightly smaller, has wireless charging but doesn't COME with the fast charger (that's an extra $70), no customization abilities...well, you should know, having had them before. You've got the best mobile device EVER made on the planet, you'd only be going backwards if you go with the iPhone.

Ok I'll just leave that "copied Samsung" thing alone for now.........

As I said in my OP I had an iPhone before this so I am very aware of how each OS functions. Simply put for me after using the Note 8 for two weeks I am beginning to realize that the negatives of iOS don't out weigh the positives for me and vice versa for Android.

Honestly if I didn't see the battery issue already becoming a problem I would probably stick with the Note 8...I'm kind of on a knife's edge as far as which way I want to go so even tiny things are enough to sway me.