I noticed two large scratches on the screen today; one is about an inch long and deep enough I feel it when using the s-pen, the other is a fine scratch that is about 3 inches long but not as deep. I bought into the hype of Gorilla Glass 5 toughness, what a mistake. I believe the reviewers that claim this glass is less shatter resistant due to being softer is an accurate description.

I have been using the s-view case and have no known reason to have scratches...no drops, carry in pocket by itself, etc.

I recommend a screen protector to all of you who are going without.
    Carlo Villa, gyounk and w8wca like this.
    09-19-2017 12:56 PM
    Lesson learned...I never go bareback
    09-19-2017 01:01 PM
    It's not "less shatter resistant due to being softer", it's chemically treated to be more break resistant if dropped.

It can still be scratched by tiny carbide particles (even tungsten carbide has a hardness of 9, Gorilla Glass runs 6.0-6.5), which just happen to be all over the atmosphere so, as Carlo Villa said, never go bareback.
    Serkle K likes this.
    09-19-2017 02:19 PM
    It's not "less shatter resistant due to being softer", it's chemically treated to be more break resistant if dropped.

It can still be scratched by tiny carbide particles (even tungsten carbide has a hardness of 9, Gorilla Glass runs 6.0-6.5), which just happen to be all over the atmosphere so, as Carlo Villa said, never go bareback.
    so we're breathing in tungsten carbide?
    09-19-2017 02:21 PM
    Sorry to hear that. This is my first note still getting used the stylus but just wondering if it's capable of scratching the screen? I say there's a chance right? Anywho I'll use a protector as well. Micro scratches make me crazy lol
    09-19-2017 02:41 PM
    I haven't scratched a screen in years. So long I can't even remember. But of course. I put my phone in my pocket and notice a large scratch on the screen. Had no idea where it came from. I check my pocket and nothing. Huh. Put the phone back in my pocket and remove it some time later and boom about 5 more large scratches. Still zero idea where they came from. Nothing was in there I could tell. Obviously something caused these scratches as they just don't appear and it is my fault. I just put a screen protector on it and the scratches are hidden now. I will just leave the protector on for the remaining time I got the device.
    09-19-2017 06:23 PM
    Put the phone back in my pocket and remove it some time later and boom about 5 more large scratches. Still zero idea where they came from.
    Pretty mysterious. Was the screen facing inward or outward? Any metal nibs at the top of your pockets, as some jeans have? Were you wearing an open jacket whose zipper the phone could have brushed against in transit to or from your pocket?
    09-19-2017 07:26 PM
    I just installed the Zagg curved glass. Painless install and fits well. No interference with my VRS case.

This after I had a few micro scratches from rubbing against my credit card....
    gyounk and pkguy323 like this.
    09-19-2017 07:28 PM
    Thanks for the warning.

This is my first note and having bought a Whitestone Dome Glass screen protector and installed it on day 2 I was starting to think I was being overprotective. Especially since I've never shattered or scratched a phone before.

This post is a healthy reminder how important an immaculate screen is to think phone. Glad I played it safe.

(Also, the protector is worthy of the hype: it's excellent.
    09-19-2017 07:34 PM
    I still have the plastic that came with the phone on mine haha.
    jsk0703, PaulaO and gyounk like this.
    09-19-2017 07:59 PM
    I noticed two large scratches on the screen today; one is about an inch long and deep enough I feel it when using the s-pen, the other is a fine scratch that is about 3 inches long but not as deep. I bought into the hype of Gorilla Glass 5 toughness, what a mistake. I believe the reviewers that claim this glass is less shatter resistant due to being softer is an accurate description.

I have been using the s-view case and have no known reason to have scratches...no drops, carry in pocket by itself, etc.

I recommend a screen protector to all of you who are going without.
    Didn't scratch the glass, it scratched the coatings.
    09-19-2017 08:04 PM
    Pretty mysterious. Was the screen facing inward or outward? Any metal nibs at the top of your pockets, as some jeans have? Were you wearing an open jacket whose zipper the phone could have brushed against in transit to or from your pocket?
    Phone was facing inwards as always. They were my work pants. Nothing metal on them. Believe me I was baffled as well. Oh well. The screen protector covers it up so I can't tell at all.
    09-19-2017 08:34 PM
    The back of mine got scratched while getting Zagg installed, but with a back skin on it you can't really see it. I guess I can live with it.
    09-19-2017 11:15 PM
    I just got my glass screen protector today.Its called MAGGLASS. Was so easy to install ,looks great.no problem with S Pen .very happy with it.
    09-19-2017 11:24 PM
    Didn't scratch the glass, it scratched the coatings.
    Whatever it scratched is deep enough to make a noticeable divot the s-pen hits.
    09-19-2017 11:45 PM
    I bought 3 different screen protectors just in case.
    09-20-2017 12:29 AM
    Had the note 7 and when I found out we would have to return it i got every sharp thing I could think of to try and scratch the heck out of it. Scissors, nails, screws, knifes and nothing would leave a mark on the front or the back. Left the screen protector off for the remainder of 2 weeks and noticed tiny scratches from just being in my purse. So from now on screen protectors all the way.
    09-20-2017 01:47 PM
    metal will not scratch it. sand, ceramic, sandpaper, rocks, diamonds. things like that will. I havent used a screen protector ...basically ever and have been fine. My note 4 got scratched because I was tearing down a tiled bathroom wall and had porcelain, ceramic, grout whatever on my hands and swiped to unlock my phone. Be extra careful at the beach or around construction areas.
    09-20-2017 02:27 PM
    Had the note 7 and when I found out we would have to return it i got every sharp thing I could think of to try and scratch the heck out of it. Scissors, nails, screws, knifes and nothing would leave a mark on the front or the back. Left the screen protector off for the remainder of 2 weeks and noticed tiny scratches from just being in my purse. So from now on screen protectors all the way.
    my girlfriend keeps hers in her purse too. She also keeps, on occasion, nail files. Which are basically sand paper. there's your culprit. those little pieces of grit come off and are floating around in there.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-20-2017 02:28 PM
    Never go bareback when you should be wearing protection. On your phone, that is.
    09-20-2017 05:02 PM
    Mine has 4 small dings in the glass!

I am VERY carefull with it too!

Not happy about this - I have not put a protector on it due to the curve and hearing even the good ones can come off
    10-16-2017 01:46 PM
    I would recommend a protector because besides seemingly easy to scratch the oleophobic coating seems to be weak and reports of wearing with only a month old.

You can see in Erica's video at around the 3 minute mark she mentions wear. Also besides referencing two other reviewers, Alex Dobie at AC in his video mentioned the coating wearing on his Note.

kevinpleasants likes this.
    10-16-2017 02:06 PM
    I havn't used a screen protector on any curved screen since the S6 edge. But I am going to try this liquid nanotechnology screen protector.

Liquid Glass Screen Protector - Easy to Install and Crystal Clear - [9H Hardness] and Scratch Resistant [Drop Protection] - Retail Packaging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072L5RSSS...cUvbUpU6022481
    10-16-2017 02:38 PM
    I havn't used a screen protector on any curved screen since the S6 edge. But I am going to try this liquid nanotechnology screen protector.

Liquid Glass Screen Protector - Easy to Install and Crystal Clear - [9H Hardness] and Scratch Resistant [Drop Protection] - Retail Packaging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072L5RSSS...cUvbUpU6022609
    Let us know how that works. I've been thinking about the liquid ones myself. I personally just want the scratch protection. Also, does anyone have experience with liquid protectors, can it be removed? Thanks
    Gray Area likes this.
    10-16-2017 04:21 PM
    Let us know how that works. I've been thinking about the liquid ones myself. I personally just want the scratch protection. Also, does anyone have experience with liquid protectors, can it be removed? Thanks
    Was just delivered today, when I get home I will apply and update you all in about a week or two.
    10-16-2017 04:33 PM
57 123