Warning!! Do not let your battery die!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
One of my original S7 Edge phones that I bought on prerelease has a cracked display. I still power it up occasionally because it still works 100%. The battery went dead for about a month. I had to keep it plugged into the charger for about 30 minutes before the battery animation would come up on the display. Once that happened, I was able to power it on with no problems.

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes, this issue is real! This happened to my son's Note8 this past Friday. He let the battery die on a trip (which honestly shouldn't be a problem). It wouldn't charge later. No red led. Nothing. I've already run my own Note8 completely down myself with no issue charging later. I've never seen this with any phone. Even with rooted & rommed phones I've been able to bring them back to life.

The verizon folks tried everything (all kinds of combinations) and they ended up ordering a replacement under warranty so no charge of course, but what a pain. They couldn't even hard reset it!

Now yesterday (while watching football) we simply "held the power & the volume down while charging" for 10 seconds and boom! First we saw some weird charging circle we've never seen before. And then finally we saw the 1% charging info. We knew were good then. We were willing to hard reset, but wanted to avoid it if possible of course.

While we were out & about yesterday we went by verizon to cancel the order and they said we it's too late. The replacement is on it's way. They said to just return it. Either way as much as I love this phone this should NOT be happening.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If this happens again, just leave it plugged in to the charger for about an hour. Once you see the green battery with the %, you can turn on the phone.

elysm1

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the middle of dealing with this myself. I unfortunately don't have premium care and had to send my phone back to Samsung yesterday. I tried everything except the "stack charging" method mentioned. Has that worked for anyone? It's too late for me to try it as I have already sent my Note back to Samsung, just curious.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but not in our case as it was plugged in for well over an hour. And nada.

I have heard, no joke, that plugging and unplugging several times over (like in resuscitation) can help generate enough of a burst to get it charging. never tried it myself, but it was posted here.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
So In the last months I have had 2 Samsung phones brick on me. Both same symptons.

3 weeks ago my Work issued Verizon S8 ran completely dead. Battery to 0% and shut down. When I got back to power and plugged it in... Nada.. Zilch.
For a sec vibrated and circle charge indicator that almost immediately went away. After that Never showed charging again.
Tried:
Hold power for minutes.
Hold Power + Volume for a minute
Hold Power + VOlume Down.
Hold Power + Bixby
Hold Power + Bixby + Volume Up
Hold Power + Bixby + Volume Down

Tried Different chargers and cables and wireless charging.

All made zero change
Had to get a Warranty swap

Last night my Note 8 also drained to 0% and Shut down,
When I got back to power and plugged it in... Nada.. Zilch.
For a sec vibrated and circle charge indicator that almost immediately went away.

Tried same things as above. No Change.
Had to book a claim with Premium Care. Will have a new one tomorrow.

Don't know what's up but 2 Sammy phones did same thing in a month. Odd.....

I bet they're rebuilt ones.
I had a refurbished one sent and it did the she thing.
I demanded a new one,. Checked the Serial number and it was new no problems.
stay with it

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
One thing to try if you end up with a problem on zero % is to plug it into a USB port on the computer instead of the fast charger, hour or two and it should have slow/trickle charged enough to be turned on and back on fast charger

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I have heard, no joke, that plugging and unplugging several times over (like in resuscitation) can help generate enough of a burst to get it charging. never tried it myself, but it was posted here.
Yes , I mentioned this earlier. It's called Stack Charging. Some devices need a tiny amount of current to run the charging control. You get a few seconds of charging before the charge control system kicks in, so plugging in and unplugging about 30 seconds apart builds up enough of a charge for the phone to take over. I have done this before, more than once, to revive a seemingly dead device. Sometimes it took 20 minutes of plugging and unplugging - but it did work.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes , I mentioned this earlier. It's called Stack Charging.

sorry. the forum messes up for me and I don't always get older posts. someone, perhaps you, posted this in another thread and I never forgot it. thank you for posting again if it wasn't you. the info should be up in the Tips sticky too. very worthwhile info, imo.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
So In the last months I have had 2 Samsung phones brick on me. Both same symptons.

3 weeks ago my Work issued Verizon S8 ran completely dead. Battery to 0% and shut down. When I got back to power and plugged it in... Nada.. Zilch.
For a sec vibrated and circle charge indicator that almost immediately went away. After that Never showed charging again.
Tried:
Hold power for minutes.
Hold Power + Bixby

All made zero change

For a sec vibrated and circle charge indicator that almost immediately went away.

You need to charge it for a while before turning it on. Same goes with iphone

chouy87

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site

Tried:
Hold power for minutes.
Hold Power + Bixby

All made zero change

i have found the solution. this happened to me last night into today. i tried everything!!!! just got note 8 a week ago. phone died over night and went completely dead. i read one of the comments on here and sparked an idea. with the battery needing a lower voltage to begin a charge than the fast charge puts out. so what i did was find an old android charger or fire stick charger is actually what i used. i attached adapter that come with phone in box so will fit in note 8. then plugged USB into an old laptop i have with USB 2.0. this put out a low enough voltage to trickle charge it where the screen popped on the circle and just lighting bolt with no percentage of battery charge. i let sit for about ten minutes then switched back to my fast charger and its working!!!! beyond ecstatic right now. thought i lost everything.

Spencurious

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
So would a portable power bank also be a way to provide the slow charge to bring it back to life? I do sometimes let mine go to zero when I'm out, and using a portable battery pack would be my normal way to recharge it until I get hone?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
So would a portable power bank also be a way to provide the slow charge to bring it back to life? I do sometimes let mine go to zero when I'm out, and using a portable battery pack would be my normal way to recharge it until I get hone?

if you have that, why let it get all the way down? you may still need to do the resuscitate thing or plug into your laptop, etc. like have been recommended.

Gareee

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Depends on the power bank.. the one I have is quickcharge 2.0. Maybe a cheap dollar store portable charger?

darkpower_4

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So I actually fixed this myself. Out of desperation and exhausting every option posted in this thread and others I finally just took the back glass off with the help of the teardown guide on ifixit and "defibulated" the battery back to life.

So the process went like this; after actually getting to the battery, cut an old USB cord and splice it down to the red and black wires leaving a few millimeters exposed and get an old USB charger, I used an old Samsung base I had, A NEWER CHARGER INCLUDING THE NOTE 8 CHARGER WILL NOT WORK ex." fast chargers, QC 2.0 and QC 3.0+" ect. The ribbon cord leading off the battery are labeled "1 2 and 7 8" and on the other side it says which pair are + & - then very carefully hold the red to + and black to - for about a minute. Reconnect battery and plug the actual Note 8 charger in and Viola! You should be charging!!!! I'm happily using my note 8 right now after a week of stressing!

P.S. My back glass was already broke and is only $12 to replace. But I feel like if it wasn't cracked I could have done without damage...other then the paint coming off the inside a little bit.

darkpower_4

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
good result but **** you had to go through all that.
Where did you get the back glass for just 12 quid?
eBay and yes it was either that or wait for Samsung to send my phone back next year and probably charge me to replace the glass back for $150 which is bs because it's wasn't the problem I could have lived with it my screen glass is fine. It's just not acceptable that I'm getting told that my warranty is void because I broke the back glass from dropping my phone twice and then one day I'm watching YouTube and batteries dies and never charges until I did all that. P.S. I work as a phone technicians with puls anyways so I was like I'M GOING TO FIX THIS F*** SAMSUNG!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze