Warning!! Do not let your battery die!

AZwldcats

May 20, 2010
Visit site
So In the last months I have had 2 Samsung phones brick on me. Both same symptons.

3 weeks ago my Work issued Verizon S8 ran completely dead. Battery to 0% and shut down. When I got back to power and plugged it in... Nada.. Zilch.
For a sec vibrated and circle charge indicator that almost immediately went away. After that Never showed charging again.
Tried:
Hold power for minutes.
Hold Power + Volume for a minute
Hold Power + VOlume Down.
Hold Power + Bixby
Hold Power + Bixby + Volume Up
Hold Power + Bixby + Volume Down

Tried Different chargers and cables and wireless charging.

All made zero change
Had to get a Warranty swap

Last night my Note 8 also drained to 0% and Shut down,
When I got back to power and plugged it in... Nada.. Zilch.
For a sec vibrated and circle charge indicator that almost immediately went away.

Tried same things as above. No Change.
Had to book a claim with Premium Care. Will have a new one tomorrow.

Don't know what's up but 2 Sammy phones did same thing in a month. Odd.....

Last edited:

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Could be trying to fast charge it when dead? Possibility that it spikes the voltage and the phone won't turn on due to incorrect voltage. Just a thought after the issues last year. The typical voltage in a battery 3.77 but at peak can be 4.77. When you first put a lithium battery on a charge source the voltage will be 4.77 but mah will be 0 instead of 1-3300 for example for the note. Just a thought, could just be crap luck. I ran it down to 1% today and I'm back to 100% with no issues.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Dang. That totally bites. Been years since I've let my phone die like that. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry for your luck:)

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Glad you are good.

But crap luck on a S8 then a N8 in 3 weeks. Seems a lil more than that.
Yeah that's why I was saying it could be part of the software to monitor mah vs voltage and disable charging below a threshold that's being incorrectly reported as dangerous somehow.

darkkterror

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Eh, well, technically it is VERY bad for a lithium ion battery to hit "true" 0% charge. So much so that many batteries are designed not to charge once they are completely drained. HOWEVER, the batteries are usually calibrated in a way that 0% isn't TRUE 0% (there's actually some charge still left over). This is done to avoid end users from letting the battery fully deplete. I wonder if that didn't quite work out as intended in the case of your phones? Not sure.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I bet you could have revived it by stack charging. Plug in for 30 seconds , and unplug for 30 seconds. Repeat for about 10 or 20 cycles. I have revived smart phones and tablets that have run to zero and wouldn't do anything a number of times. This process stacks enough of a charge for the phones charging management to take over.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I'll try it today and let you know. At least I'll try. It's habit to charge it when it gets low. Lol. But I will try and let it die.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I bet you could have revived it by stack charging. Plug in for 30 seconds , and unplug for 30 seconds. Repeat for about 10 or 20 cycles. I have revived smart phones and tablets that have run to zero and wouldn't do anything a number of times. This process stacks enough of a charge for the phones charging management to take over.

I'd never heard of this. thanks for posting it.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So In the last months I have had 2 Samsung phones brick on me. Both same symptons.

3 weeks ago my Work issued Verizon S8 ran completely dead. Battery to 0% and shut down. When I got back to power and plugged it in... Nada.. Zilch.
For a sec vibrated and circle charge indicator that almost immediately went away. After that Never showed charging again.
Tried:
Hold power for minutes.
Hold Power + Volume for a minute
Hold Power + VOlume Down.
Hold Power + Bixby
Hold Power + Bixby + Volume Up
Hold Power + Bixby + Volume Down

Tried Different chargers and cables and wireless charging.

All made zero change
Had to get a Warranty swap

Last night my Note 8 also drained to 0% and Shut down,
When I got back to power and plugged it in... Nada.. Zilch.
For a sec vibrated and circle charge indicator that almost immediately went away.

Tried same things as above. No Change.
Had to book a claim with Premium Care. Will have a new one tomorrow.

Don't know what's up but 2 Sammy phones did same thing in a month. Odd.....

How long are you waiting after charging to try to power it back on? I had an old Note 8 that had to be back up to around 10% before it would turn back on.