Note 8 poor battery life?

luap123

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
So my note 8 lasts around 9 hours of use before it turns off.is that normal for this phone.
the screen says its been on. 4 hours and 35 min
Total battery time was 9 hours and 33 min

Last edited:

beandoc

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
re:

Abnormal. I haven't even reached for a charger since I got the phone. Battery is far better than my Note 5 when it was brand new.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
re:

That is always a tricky 'unanswerable' question :( Which apps are you running? Any unusual apps that are being reported by the phone (it monitors apps that consume out-of-the-ordinary amounts of battery a day and displays a 'warning')? How many accounts you have syncing and how many are push VS polling (the latter will drain more)? Are you using the screen for how long? Full on brightness vs auto mode vs low brightness? Battery saver mode enabled? (See why this is 'unanswerable'? :p)

On mine, with MY apps, Sync active on two e-mail accounts and social media, mid-avg use, auto-brightness enabled, no battery saving modes, the phone will make it through a day with at least 20% left to spare. I'm getting much better battery life with this one than what I was getting with an S8 (not the plus, normal one). But again, that's MY usage.

That being said, 7 hours of use, unless it's super intensive, sounds abnormal. Most people I've heard about are getting stellar battery life.

luap123

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
re:

So 9 hours of use before battery dies is ok ?i love the phone but dont want to have to exchange it over and over
Ive had it nearly 2 days and 9 hours is what i got before i needed to charge it.thats usining it pretty much non stop

luap123

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
re:

That is always a tricky 'unanswerable' question :( Which apps are you running? Any unusual apps that are being reported by the phone (it monitors apps that consume out-of-the-ordinary amounts of battery a day and displays a 'warning')? How many accounts you have syncing and how many are push VS polling (the latter will drain more)? Are you using the screen for how long? Full on brightness vs auto mode vs low brightness? Battery saver mode enabled? (See why this is 'unanswerable'? :p)

On mine, with MY apps, Sync active on two e-mail accounts and social media, mid-avg use, auto-brightness enabled, no battery saving modes, the phone will make it through a day with at least 20% left to spare. I'm getting much better battery life with this one than what I was getting with an S8 (not the plus, normal one). But again, that's MY usage.

That being said, 7 hours of use, unless it's super intensive, sounds abnormal. Most people I've heard about are getting stellar battery life.

I said 9 hours and 33 min of use not 7
Maybe im a super heavy user?

luap123

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
re:

Is my phone broken?do i need to get another phone? Or is 9.5 hours fine.i have a feeling if they send me another note 8 that will last for 9.5 hours aswell

luap123

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
re:

I dont know how to tell if my new phone is broken or not?how can i find out
i cant really say how ive been using it.but if i had to guess maybe i was calling people.browsing the net.maybe took a couple photos.watched 1 or 2 youtube vids.listened to music with the headphones.checking email.that how i used it i think?

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
This is pretty much my daily average. Better than N7 and a ton better than the S7edge. I have 'always on' active. No wifi during the day so it's actively looking for cell signal. I've seen a few news videos today, took and sent a couple of 1 min videos, active on FB, etc.

A real step up. Zero complaints.

Bj
70db5b1f5db6cff2fdd1bc7381294188.jpg

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
First of all, SOT is not a good measurement for how much battery last, it can be fooled easily, aka I can put the phone on one app and leave it idle till i get bored, and SOT will skyrocket.

But if u use the phone with various apps, such as browsing the web while listening to music and doing other stuff, it will get down quickly, also depends heavily on brightness level and singal transmission strength.

I would suggest downloading GSAM monitor and see what app sucking your battery, sometimes when u use 4G outside, quickly toggle the airplane mode on and off to reset the radio, it might improve signal.

Do it, that will be a good start to know what's happening behind the scenes.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
4.5 SOT doesn't sound terrible though... I think the ones I've seen are getting between 5 and 7? But yeah, it LARGELY depends on your apps and background processes and which apps used the screen (a 3D game will use more battery than a streaming video, and a streaming video will use more battery than one played off the device).

luap123

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
First of all, SOT is not a good measurement for how much battery last, it can be fooled easily, aka I can put the phone on one app and leave it idle till i get bored, and SOT will skyrocket.

But if u use the phone with various apps, such as browsing the web while listening to music and doing other stuff, it will get down quickly, also depends heavily on brightness level and singal transmission strength.

I would suggest downloading GSAM monitor and see what app sucking your battery, sometimes when u use 4G outside, quickly toggle the airplane mode on and off to reset the radio, it might improve signal.

Do it, that will be a good start to know what's happening behind the scenes.

I browse the web wilst lisining to music alot with my headphones

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I browse the web wilst lisining to music alot with my headphones

Install GSAM, if u don't have root, you'll need ADB in order to unlock some monitoring feature, that can detail which apps excatly take your battery, only then we can help you more.

Offtopic, use PowerAMP music player, the 704 beta version, it has support for high end DAC and built it dac in Exynos too.