Does the button on the down actually do anything besides bring up the semi circle of apps,. I just think there are so many ways for it to be implemented, but haven't found anything else it does.
    bchain996 likes this.
    09-20-2017 07:13 PM
    Does the button on the down actually do anything besides bring up the semi circle of apps,. I just think there are so many ways for it to be implemented, but haven't found anything else it does.
    Spen. Not down. Lol
    09-20-2017 07:14 PM
    Curious as well. I use Autodesk Sketchbook quite a lot to draw and often accidentally tap the button. Or accidentally tap the air command icon. I wish you could chose to disable these when in certain apps.
    09-20-2017 07:17 PM
    Tap button and drag to erase. Or hold button to highlight/select text.
    09-20-2017 07:29 PM
    Tap button and drag to erase. Or hold button to highlight/select text.
    I don't have to hold it in to highlight text. It does it either way
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    09-20-2017 07:35 PM
    Yep, I noticed this to, lol. I am so used to holding to highlight, but realised it doesn't require that anymore.
    09-21-2017 02:21 AM
    Not true.. Try to highlight specific text in a long text message.. You can't do it unless you hold down the button
    09-21-2017 02:25 AM
    Or even if you're reading this forum in the app.. Try highlighting txt, you can't do it unless you hold the button. If you don't hold the button your reply options will pop up
    09-21-2017 02:27 AM
    I believe there used to be a feature where holding the S Pen would allow it to be used like the 'Snipping Tool' and copy whatever you circled. is that no longer something that can be used?
    09-21-2017 06:56 AM
    Or even if you're reading this forum in the app.. Try highlighting txt, you can't do it unless you hold the button. If you don't hold the button your reply options will pop up
    I seriously can highlight your response without pushing the button. I haven't found anything I couldn't highlight yet. That's beside the point though, I was just wondering if there was something about that button that I didn't know. I am new to Android and the note. I wish I would have switched so long ago!!
    09-21-2017 07:38 AM
    I do have to put more pressure on the screen to start the highlight, if I don't put pressure on the screen it doesn't allow me to highlight, but by pressing just a little harder it allows me to do it. I'm using Tapatalk also, maybe that is a reason as well
    09-21-2017 07:40 AM
    On the note 2 and note 5 I could press the button to cutout an image to use it elsewhere. I don't have the note 8 yet so I don't know if it's still the same.
    09-21-2017 07:51 AM
    On the note 2 and note 5 I could press the button to cutout an image to use it elsewhere. I don't have the note 8 yet so I don't know if it's still the same.
    It's still there on the Note 8. It's called Smart Select. It's one of my most used S Pen functions.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-21-2017 08:24 AM
    I do have to put more pressure on the screen to start the highlight, if I don't put pressure on the screen it doesn't allow me to highlight, but by pressing just a little harder it allows me to do it. I'm using Tapatalk also, maybe that is a reason as well
    Thats probably it... I'm using the android central app... Try it in the the official Twitter app
    09-21-2017 08:48 AM
    Try in default text app too
    09-21-2017 08:49 AM
    It's still there on the Note 8. It's called Smart Select. It's one of my most used S Pen functions.
    Is it possible to assign that to the button or do you have to go through the menu that pops up (had an android for 2 days... still getting used to it!)
    09-21-2017 08:52 AM
    I think in most places you don't have to hold down the button to select text, but there are some instances where you do. For example, Verizon Messages + won't allow you to select text unless you are pressing the button.

Even for me in the mobile apps I can select without using the button when reading posts, but if I'm browsing the topics, i need to use the button to select text.
    09-21-2017 01:38 PM
    Is it possible to assign that to the button or do you have to go through the menu that pops up (had an android for 2 days... still getting used to it!)
    As far as I know, you can't reassign the button to another function.
    09-21-2017 02:25 PM
    Just tried on Samsung Internet....it wont highlight unless you hold the button...probably depends on the app
    09-21-2017 02:39 PM
    Just tried on Samsung Internet....it wont highlight unless you hold the button...probably depends on the app
    It works in Samsung Internet on at least some pages. It didn't work on Facebook but did on another site.
    09-21-2017 06:48 PM
    I'm pretty sure I've seen this done somewhere in a video I watched, but isn't there a way to highlight/select a sentence and have the whole sentence translated to another language (say, Spanish to English)? The Translate SPen function only appears to translate a word at a time.
    09-21-2017 09:11 PM
    I'm pretty sure I've seen this done somewhere in a video I watched, but isn't there a way to highlight/select a sentence and have the whole sentence translated to another language (say, Spanish to English)? The Translate SPen function only appears to translate a word at a time.
    I would love to know the answer to this
    09-21-2017 10:27 PM
    Idk if this was said already but I didn't see it on here, one of the most important features is if you hold down the S Pen button and DOUBLE TAP on the screen with the pen it will create a new note instantly when the screen is on, every time.

You're welcome.
    09-21-2017 11:32 PM
    I would love to know the answer to this
    Click on the "T" box to the left of the languages selected.
    09-23-2017 07:28 AM
    Thank you, exdrinker. I did not know that the "T" was a toggle. When it shows "T", it will translate whatever word you hover the spen over, but when it shows horizontal lines, it will translate the whole sentence. You learn something new every day. Thanks again!
    09-23-2017 09:53 AM