Water Resistance

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
This is my first water resistance phone. How safe is it to just bring the phone into the shower with me?
Probably fine. Not really much different than using it in the rain.

That said, the phone's rated at IP68 in terms of dust and water resistance, being able to withstand full submersion in fresh water to 1.5m for 30 min. I take that more as product improvement to help protect the device against accidental spills and submersion, more so than an open invitation to intentionally introduce your phone to liquids.

Think of it as a bullet proof vest. If wearing one, you've got increased protection, but you still don't want people shooting at you.

My advice is to either put it in a waterproof case or buy an inexpensive waterproof bt speaker. You can find them for like $20.

lisalisa07

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
I personally am not going to test the waters(Hee hee). But its nice to know that feature is on there if I spill coffee or drop it in the dog water bowl!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Not often, but I've had my S7 in the shower no problem, water resistance should be plenty unless you're taking a hot steaming shower until you run out of hot water.

Few years back I read the reason Sony phones, and most Japanese phones were water resistant was because it's common for Japanese women to use them in the shower so they don't want phones without water resistance. Saw it online somewhere, no clue if actually true. lol

djroy03

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I just received the Note 8 this week. For me, I look at the water resistance as a feature to allow me not to stress if a few drops of water fall on the device. But I will definitely not be taking it in the shower or a pool. That's just me.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I took my note 5 in the shower. Or had it on the ledge. Dropped it in the shower once too. Pretty sure that wasn't IP rated.

whaddupdoe

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My S8 plus has been in the swimming pool multiple times, Lake Michigan, Kentucky Kingdoms water park 2 days in a row (wave pools, lazy river, water slides) with no issues. You will definitely get the "moisture in port" message but all you will have to do is dry out the port until it goes away. ... The phone will be fine in the shower, you should be more concerned about dropping in the shower vs getting it wet lol.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
This is my first water resistan[t] phone. How safe is it to just bring the phone into the shower with me?
I can think of two things about showers that the IP68 rating might or might not cover: high temperature, and pressure of the nozzle jets. I would research those parameters before taking a chance.

Last edited:

antman451

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I doubt he's talking about blasting it in the shower to clean it off or anything. I think it's fine to just be in there and get some indirect water contact.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I took pictures both at the beach (in salt water) and in the pool (chlorine) this past summer with my S7 Active and all I did was made sure I immediately rinsed it well with fresh water when I was done. The phone was (and is) still working fine when I got my Note 8! No outward signs of any corrosion and I'm sure by now that if anything internal were wrong, the phone would be doing weirdness... and it's not!

*AFTERTHOUGHT - I doubt I will do that with the Note 8 however! IP68 may be IP68 but the Galaxy S7 Active was designed to be thrown on the ground and in the water and bounced off 2X4s on Construction Sites - The Note 8 wasn't! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo