Edge Lightning Not Working

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a Sprint Note 8 and can't get the edge lighting to work? Anyone else having this issue? I have made all kinds of changes to the settings and nothing.

Help! Please.

gyounk

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
I find that it works if the screen is on and logged in, on my note8. I was hoping it would work if the aod was on.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Make sure that in advanced settings for edge lighting that you have transparency set to low and that the width is wide. Now see if it works for you.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine works but to be honest it is so watered down from the old edge lighting that I do not use it.
Agreed 100%.

For those who don't know, this used to be an amazing feature on the S7 Edge. You could set a color for each of your contacts. When you placed the phone upside down on a desk or other surface, when one of those contacts called or texted you, the display would light up whatever color that contact had so you knew who contacted you.

This feature on the Note 8 is completely different. It's also completely removed on the S7 Edge now.

diagoro

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I noted this one a few other threads. I'm on Verizon, can't get edge lighting to work, regardless of how I tweak the settings. It's simply broken.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine only works while I am using the phone. There is a setting that is supposed to make this work while the screen is off too but that doesn't do anything for mine. A Google search shows that many others can't get this to work at all. Maybe an update will come soon. Make sure your open the Galaxy apps app from time to time and check for updates on there. That's where an update will come from if and when it does.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Agreed 100%.

For those who don't know, this used to be an amazing feature on the S7 Edge. You could set a color for each of your contacts. When you placed the phone upside down on a desk or other surface, when one of those contacts called or texted you, the display would light up whatever color that contact had so you knew who contacted you.

This feature on the Note 8 is completely different. It's also completely removed on the S7 Edge now.
Ye, to me that was one of the top reasons for using the edge. I still would never go without the edge panel for apps again. It's great being able to just swipe my thumb once click and I'm in whichever of my apps I'm using most that week, or in a function widget like device maintenance.

But not having the colors for contacts seems like a backwards move on Samsung's part and everyone seems to miss it.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
as far as the Edge lighting goes, it's working fine so far for me.

But I will say as well, it doesn't make sense to me that Samsung is taking away Edge features and applications now that their devices are becoming all Edge Devices.

It seems like they're more concerned about the Edge look and less concerned about the Edge Functionality they started with just a few years ago.

NeoGrandizer

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I never got it to work on mine. Tried everything I can think of (settings, advance settings, notifications, etc). Nothing. I can preview it no problem, but getting it to work is another matter altogether.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I never got it to work on mine. Tried everything I can think of (settings, advance settings, notifications, etc). Nothing. I can preview it no problem, but getting it to work is another matter altogether.

It's definitely not as bright as it was on the S7E, but I do see it working on mine. Same as the LED notification light... it's working, but it's not as bright as it was on my S7E.

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
*My edge lighting for notifications is working perfectly on my T-Mobile Note 8...

Just Follow these steps exactly;

(1) Click Settings, Click Display, Click Edge Screen, Click Edge lighting (mine is on Always). Click on the Word Always to enter sub menu.

(2) Click Manage notifications, Choose what you like, I have Messages, WhatsApp, Email, and Gmail selected. Back out one page.

(3) Click on Advanced Settings, Highlight Custom color Then click on the round DOT to the right of the word Custom color, Setup your cutom colors choose done, then back out a page and set Width all the way over to the right and leave Transparency on Low.

(4) Top right of page press Preview, when your happy with your color back out one screen. At the very top of this screen make sure that Edge Lighting is set to "on". After that back all the way out Your Done!

*Notifications have to be setup like this to work as there not album color. Do exactly what I wrote and you guys should be fine. :)

Last edited:

NeoGrandizer

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
*My edge lighting is working perfectly....

Follow these steps;

(1) Click Settings, Click Display, Click Edge Screen, Click Edge lighting (mine is on Always). Click on the Word Always to enter sub menu.

(2) Click Manage notifications, Choose what you like, I have Messages, WhatsApp, Email, and Gmail selected. Back out one page.

(3) Click on Advanced Settings, Highlight Custom color Then click on the round DOT to the right of the word Custom color, Setup your cutom colors choose done, then back out a page and set Width all the way over to the right.

(4) Top right of page press Preview, when your happy with your color back out all the way Your Done!

*Notifications have to bee setup like this to work, there not album color. Do exactly what I wrote and you guys should be fine. :)
Nope. Done all that. Even turned on Edge Lighting in the notification bar thinking that was the cause. But nope. It's still doesn't work for me.

jnyvio

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Done all that. Even turned on Edge Lighting in the notification bar thinking that was the cause. But nope. It's still doesn't work for me.

Well I know for fact this works on my T-Mobile Note 8.. If it works for others on here then it's either your carrier or software that's the issue or perhaps you mistakenly missed one of my steps somewhere along the way? Perhaps try it again...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma