09-25-2017 09:40 PM
43 12
tools
    I've been having the Note 8 for about a week and the first thing I set up was the Face Recognition feature. At first it was great, then it became harder for me to unlock it, sometimes I couldn't even unlock it at all, I had to use the pattern. Well as an all-time Samsung previous owner, I remembered about the system apps data-clearing trick from all previous Galaxies and BOOM, MAGIC! Now the recognition is 5 times faster and it doesn't fail. Now, the fingerprint recognition hasn't changed one bit from the previous models, it takes about 4 to 5 tries with my finger to finally unlock. Has anyone had the same issues?
    09-22-2017 12:15 PM
    Everything works first time and pretty fast for me
    09-22-2017 12:17 PM
    I have fingerprint set up, but I barely it use other than a few apps that support fingerprint login, such as my Bank app for example. Other than getting the right placement, I haven't had any issues with it failing to work.

Of course, my phone itself rarely ever goes into full lock mode. I have a Gear S3 watch and have my phone set to remain unlocked as long as it's connected. So even if someone were to take my phone, once they get about 15 ft away from me, the watch will disconnect and my phone will lock.

I find the fingerprint scanner placement too be too awkward to use it regularly. If it weren't for my watch keeping the phone unlocked for me, I'd probably just have a pin code to log in.

Facial recognition has been fine so far for me though.
    Ca_lvn likes this.
    09-22-2017 12:23 PM
    all the unlocked feature are Hella fast on my note 8
    09-22-2017 12:31 PM
    I use the fingerprint daily. No real issues.
    09-22-2017 12:37 PM
    Both iris and print works perfectly fine on mine
    09-22-2017 12:41 PM
    I tried the facial recognition and it was terrible. It hardly ever unlocked when I needed it to so I've removed it and have gone back to Iris scanning.
    09-22-2017 12:42 PM
    when i can get my finger in the right spot for the poorly placed sensor, it works fine most of time. even then i find i sometimes dont fully cover the sensor and it doesnt work. its no where near as convenient as my G6 was or Nexus 5X or even S7E. That said, i still use it mostly for my biometric supporting apps like banking and such. for phone unlock, the iris scanner works wonderfully. much faster than i expected it to be. didnt try the face lock.

i also usually add my index finger twice so there are ample samples for the phone to use. that usually helps with recognition; once you locate the sensor
    09-22-2017 12:42 PM
    I've not used iris or facial recognition yet, but the finger print reader has been working surprisingly well for me. It was pretty flaky on my S7E, so I didn't expect much better with the Note 8, but have been pleasantly surprised. First touch almost every time. I have a Nexus 6P before the S7E, which has the print reader on the back, so reaching behind to unlock it took me no time to get used to.

What are you talking about specifically when you mentioned:
    I remembered about the system apps data-clearing trick from all previous Galaxies and BOOM, MAGIC!
    09-22-2017 12:52 PM
    FPS has been working great for me. When I grab my phone out of my pockets, I grab it with my finger touching the FPS. So it's already unlocked by the time I pull it out.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    09-22-2017 12:58 PM
    FPS is instant for me, but I also use Iris scanner which is also very instant for me as well...
    09-22-2017 01:19 PM
    I've not used iris of facial recognition yet, but the finger print reader has been working surprisingly well for me. It was pretty flaky on my S7E, so I didn't expect much better with the Note 8, but have been pleasantly surprised. First touch almost every time. I have a Nexus 6P before the S7E, which has the print reader on the back, so reaching behind to unlock it took me no time to get used to.

What are you talking about specifically when you mentioned:
    Basically you go to apps> show system apps> and clear the data of face recognition and it works perfect right after
    FPS has been working great for me. When I grab my phone out of my pockets, I grab it with my finger touching the FPS. So it's already unlocked by the time I pull it out.
    09-22-2017 01:33 PM
    I'm struggling alot with the fingerprint function ☹
    09-22-2017 01:33 PM
    I have fingerprint set up and it works great (I have long fingers ). Haven't tried the face unlock.
    09-22-2017 01:35 PM
    I tried the facial recognition and it was terrible. It hardly ever unlocked when I needed it to so I've removed it and have gone back to Iris scanning.
    I'm exact opposite, Iris scanner is horrible for me. facial rec is flawless except for when its too dark
    09-22-2017 02:49 PM
    Tried it for the first time today and it works better than my S8 plus did you still need to place and cover the entire pad for it to work properly. For some reason it feels better than the S8 plus.
    09-22-2017 03:06 PM
    All lock options work great for me. Only thing that don't work for me is smart lock or whatever it's called. It won't stay unlocked while home(trusted places). So if I want it unlocked when I'm home then I have to choose swipe.
    09-22-2017 05:33 PM
    I went straight for iris unlock since face unlock can be done using a photo of you. Also fingerprint and pattern.
    09-23-2017 01:38 AM
    Something that help for those who use the facial recognition to unlock, you can wake the display by pressing on the area of the home button. When the display wakes, it should instantly unlock when it recognizes your face. You don't have to reach to the back to unlock the phone. I've been unlocking my phone this way the past few days and it's kind of nice to do.
    09-23-2017 03:51 AM
    Problems with iris scanner for some people could be if the iris image isn't 100%
    Set it up again in perfect light etc...
    It should work best with as good as possible original image, mine works in the dark and I don't have to stare 100% straight at it
    09-23-2017 04:45 AM
    No issues the with the fingerprint scanner. The iris scanner wasn't bad. The face unlock was ok too. But mostly I use the fingerprint scanner.
    09-23-2017 04:54 AM
    I went straight for iris unlock since face unlock can be done using a photo of you. Also fingerprint and pattern.
    I tried the photo thing and it doesn't unlock it lol. I think it was a fake rumor
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    09-23-2017 05:20 AM
    I initially setup finger print and face because of where the fps is located. I had to turn face off. Not because it didnt work, in fact it worked too well. Crazy fast and the fps was quick too. Problem was often when I just wanted to see notifications it would completely unlock. So i'm back to fps and once you retrain your brain it's not so bad.
    kevinpleasants and Norg like this.
    09-23-2017 10:45 AM
    FPS and Iris work great for me , and agree that's it's simply a matter of retraining.
    09-23-2017 11:14 AM
    I've found FPS and iris to be lightning quick. No issues.
    09-23-2017 11:25 AM
43 12