Both wifi and lte 4g icons are on

fabris40

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
My AT&T note 8 shows both icon on when I am on my strong and steady home wifi. Any reason? I am just concerned that his may affect negatively my 3g AT&T data plan. I do have wifi calling on, but this doesn't seem to affect anything since if I check it off both symbols are still on.
Any suggestion? This drives me crazy. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

njdan30

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
f66a0db1a93158b9045b0cb1c2674c39.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It really means nothing. You can ignore it. It happens all the time with newer phones for AT&T/Verizon customers. If you see the WiFi symbol it is using the WiFi network for access.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's an option in developers options.

It is but even without accessing dev options it still happens on AT&T/Verizon phones. Not all. Depends on apps but it really isn't a big deal.

I haven't opened dev options once on my S8+ and if I jump on WiFi it will show the 4GLTE icon in the back still.

fabris40

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Knowing that it won't use any data when both icons are on makes me feel a little better. However I still find it a little strange that both symbols are on at the same time.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Knowing that it won't use any data when both icons are on makes me feel a little better. However I still find it a little strange that both symbols are on at the same time.

It truly is normal. Look at mine just for reference... (next post) :).

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have 3g data plan on ATT. Both icons always on when on wifi. Was the same with my S8 Plus. It doesn't use your plan data don't worry.

njdan30

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replay.
If the symbol is there but greyed out like that screen shot them its doing nothing, if it isn't greyed out ous using data at same time. Of you want to turn off go into dev mode simply uncheck, it's not a huge deal developers mode isn't something that's going to void warranty like some are thinking. It's only for faster switching of cell to WiFi and vise versa I keep mine on purpose where its enabled for WiFi lte calling besides I'm on unlimited data

fabris40

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Mine is not greyed out and I suspect it might use some data since I have seen a spike in data usage since I started using the note 8 not much but some increase. This what prompted me tonstart this tread.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If the symbol is there but greyed out like that screen shot them its doing nothing, if it isn't greyed out ous using data at same time. Of you want to turn off go into dev mode simply uncheck, it's not a huge deal developers mode isn't something that's going to void warranty like some are thinking. It's only for faster switching of cell to WiFi and vise versa I keep mine on purpose where its enabled for WiFi lte calling besides I'm on unlimited data

Not fully true. If it's white instead of greyed out it's still using WiFi it just means it's active / on standby.

Usually if it's active while on wifi it means there is an app holding it. Fabris do you have a caller ID app you use with AT&T? Usually caller ID apps need the mobile network to ID so it will keep it active (or white) but it shouldn't use data until a call comes in. Even then it would be a very minor amount to just ID the caller.

Last edited:

njdan30

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Not fully true. If it's white instead of greyed out it's still using WiFi it just means it's active / on standby.

Usually if it's active while on wifi it means there is an app holding it wifi. Fabris do you have a caller ID app you use with AT&T? Usually caller ID apps need the mobile network to ID so it will keep it active (or white) but it shouldn't use data until a call comes in. Even then it would be a very minor amount to just ID the caller.
Different carriers have slightly different ways the software works see my 1st comment pic where it says KEEP DATA ON EVEN WHEN WIFI IN USE? that's just that it's just for faster transition no loss of data especially in calls, also some carriers DON'T have that option like most unlocked models. Easiest way to to put it to rest would monitor data usage with out on and off and or contact your specific carrier(good luck with some carrier support lol) you'll pretty much never notice any difference unless you live in remote areas like where I am where signal sucks and WiFi is via satellite which also sucks enabling both resolved the dropped enhanced calling issues.i don't have att service is non existing in this area just vzw us cellular and T-Mobile and sprint here and there.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Different carriers have slightly different ways the software works see my 1st comment pic where it says KEEP DATA ON EVEN WHEN WIFI IN USE? that's just that it's just for faster transition no loss of data especially in calls, also some carriers DON'T have that option like most unlocked models. Easiest way to to put it to rest would monitor data usage with out on and off and or contact your specific carrier(good luck with some carrier support lol) you'll pretty much never notice any difference unless you live in remote areas like where I am where signal sucks and WiFi is via satellite which also sucks enabling both resolved the dropped enhanced calling issues.i don't have att service is non existing in this area just vzw us cellular and T-Mobile and sprint here and there.
Yes but you showed something in developer options. That takes 2 things from the user. 1 to go into developer options and then to enable that.

On a stock phone that won't matter as much. As I showed above mine does the same thing and I've never once gone into developer options.

Second.. mine used to keep the LTE icon white (active) when I had the caller ID app enabled since it needs the mobile network to ID. After disabling it and rebooting the icon now goes grey (inactive) as shown in my screenshot.

I promise you it's using WiFi. This issue isn't new and came around the S6 release. I've dealt with it a bunch ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781