09-24-2017 01:36 PM
28 12
tools
    My AT&T note 8 shows both icon on when I am on my strong and steady home wifi. Any reason? I am just concerned that his may affect negatively my 3g AT&T data plan. I do have wifi calling on, but this doesn't seem to affect anything since if I check it off both symbols are still on.
    Any suggestion? This drives me crazy. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
    09-22-2017 03:24 PM
    09-22-2017 03:39 PM
    Keep mobile data turned on.... Toggle that off and see how it goes..
    09-22-2017 05:14 PM
    It really means nothing. You can ignore it. It happens all the time with newer phones for AT&T/Verizon customers. If you see the WiFi symbol it is using the WiFi network for access.
    09-22-2017 05:15 PM
    That's an option in developers options.
    09-22-2017 05:27 PM
    That's an option in developers options.
    It is but even without accessing dev options it still happens on AT&T/Verizon phones. Not all. Depends on apps but it really isn't a big deal.

I haven't opened dev options once on my S8+ and if I jump on WiFi it will show the 4GLTE icon in the back still.
    09-22-2017 05:28 PM
    Knowing that it won't use any data when both icons are on makes me feel a little better. However I still find it a little strange that both symbols are on at the same time.
    09-22-2017 09:14 PM
    Put phone in airplane mode, then turn on Wi-Fi only, that should eliminate data usage.
    09-23-2017 02:32 AM
    You probably have download booster enabled
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    09-23-2017 03:52 AM
    No I don't. ATT does not have the download boster feature it never did, but thanks for the suggestion.
    FYI I rebooted the phone and for now only the wifi icon appears. I will keep my fingers crossed.
    09-23-2017 09:25 PM
    Knowing that it won't use any data when both icons are on makes me feel a little better. However I still find it a little strange that both symbols are on at the same time.
    It truly is normal. Look at mine just for reference... (next post) .
    09-23-2017 11:43 PM
    No. It has nothing to do w/ download booster.
    09-23-2017 11:43 PM
    As you can see Verizon shows the same thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Both wifi and lte 4g icons are on-vzw_icons.png  
    09-23-2017 11:45 PM
    Thanks for your replay.
    09-24-2017 06:32 AM
    I have 3g data plan on ATT. Both icons always on when on wifi. Was the same with my S8 Plus. It doesn't use your plan data don't worry.
    09-24-2017 07:00 AM
    Thanks for your replay.
    If the symbol is there but greyed out like that screen shot them its doing nothing, if it isn't greyed out ous using data at same time. Of you want to turn off go into dev mode simply uncheck, it's not a huge deal developers mode isn't something that's going to void warranty like some are thinking. It's only for faster switching of cell to WiFi and vise versa I keep mine on purpose where its enabled for WiFi lte calling besides I'm on unlimited data
    09-24-2017 07:03 AM
    Mine is not greyed out and I suspect it might use some data since I have seen a spike in data usage since I started using the note 8 not much but some increase. This what prompted me tonstart this tread.
    09-24-2017 08:00 AM
    If the symbol is there but greyed out like that screen shot them its doing nothing, if it isn't greyed out ous using data at same time. Of you want to turn off go into dev mode simply uncheck, it's not a huge deal developers mode isn't something that's going to void warranty like some are thinking. It's only for faster switching of cell to WiFi and vise versa I keep mine on purpose where its enabled for WiFi lte calling besides I'm on unlimited data
    Not fully true. If it's white instead of greyed out it's still using WiFi it just means it's active / on standby.

Usually if it's active while on wifi it means there is an app holding it. Fabris do you have a caller ID app you use with AT&T? Usually caller ID apps need the mobile network to ID so it will keep it active (or white) but it shouldn't use data until a call comes in. Even then it would be a very minor amount to just ID the caller.
    09-24-2017 08:46 AM
    Not fully true. If it's white instead of greyed out it's still using WiFi it just means it's active / on standby.

Usually if it's active while on wifi it means there is an app holding it wifi. Fabris do you have a caller ID app you use with AT&T? Usually caller ID apps need the mobile network to ID so it will keep it active (or white) but it shouldn't use data until a call comes in. Even then it would be a very minor amount to just ID the caller.
    Different carriers have slightly different ways the software works see my 1st comment pic where it says KEEP DATA ON EVEN WHEN WIFI IN USE? that's just that it's just for faster transition no loss of data especially in calls, also some carriers DON'T have that option like most unlocked models. Easiest way to to put it to rest would monitor data usage with out on and off and or contact your specific carrier(good luck with some carrier support lol) you'll pretty much never notice any difference unless you live in remote areas like where I am where signal sucks and WiFi is via satellite which also sucks enabling both resolved the dropped enhanced calling issues.i don't have att service is non existing in this area just vzw us cellular and T-Mobile and sprint here and there.
    09-24-2017 09:22 AM
    Different carriers have slightly different ways the software works see my 1st comment pic where it says KEEP DATA ON EVEN WHEN WIFI IN USE? that's just that it's just for faster transition no loss of data especially in calls, also some carriers DON'T have that option like most unlocked models. Easiest way to to put it to rest would monitor data usage with out on and off and or contact your specific carrier(good luck with some carrier support lol) you'll pretty much never notice any difference unless you live in remote areas like where I am where signal sucks and WiFi is via satellite which also sucks enabling both resolved the dropped enhanced calling issues.i don't have att service is non existing in this area just vzw us cellular and T-Mobile and sprint here and there.
    Yes but you showed something in developer options. That takes 2 things from the user. 1 to go into developer options and then to enable that.

On a stock phone that won't matter as much. As I showed above mine does the same thing and I've never once gone into developer options.

Second.. mine used to keep the LTE icon white (active) when I had the caller ID app enabled since it needs the mobile network to ID. After disabling it and rebooting the icon now goes grey (inactive) as shown in my screenshot.

I promise you it's using WiFi. This issue isn't new and came around the S6 release. I've dealt with it a bunch .
    09-24-2017 09:25 AM
    Yes but you showed something in developer options. That takes 2 things from the user. 1 to go into developer options and then to enable that.

On a stock phone that won't matter as much. As I showed above mine does the same thing and I've never once gone into developer options.

Second.. mine used to keep the LTE icon white (active) when I had the caller ID app enabled since it needs the mobile network to ID. After disabling it and rebooting the icon now goes grey (inactive) as shown in my screenshot.

I promise you it's using WiFi. This issue isn't new and came around the S6 area. I've dealt with it a bunch .
    This is second of same model from same carrier, I always enable it just for debugging options, 1 came via mail with it enabled in developers mode 1 didn't. Samsung nor sprint have a reason of why one would and the other would other then time of manufacturing, most people from support aren't very supportive especially reading from scripts lol. Have a good day hope op figures it out I figured un check of an option would take what a half of second to make sure if your worried about using limited data.
    09-24-2017 09:34 AM
    This is second of same model from same carrier, I always enable it just for debugging options, 1 came via mail with it enabled in developers mode 1 didn't. Samsung nor sprint have a reason of why one would and the other would other then time of manufacturing, most people from support aren't very supportive especially reading from scripts lol. Have a good day hope op figures it out I figured un check of an option would take what a half of second to make sure if your worried about using limited data.
    Or he can just disable the caller ID app and it most likely will solve the issue. No reason to dive into developer options unless he needs something else in there. I am 99 percent sure that's the issue since it has been in the past. As I said from my own experience I knew what it was and did said steps.. it disabled and made the icon inactive.

Even if the OP doesn't turn it off it's still using WiFi when wifi is active. It will use mobile data for caller ID and for MMS messages. That's it.
    09-24-2017 09:40 AM
    Or he can just disable the caller ID app and it most likely will solve the issue. No reason to dive into developer options unless he needs something else in there. I am 99 percent sure that's the issue since it has been in the past. As I said from my own experience I knew what it was and did said steps.. it disabled and made the icon inactive.

Even if the OP doesn't turn it off it's still using WiFi when wifi is active. It will use mobile data for caller ID and for MMS messages. That's it.
    Again carrier specific I can turn data completely off and get caller id and send mms pics. like I said I know my carrier and model specific software from experience with em and many customers phones I was a dealer for boost/sprint , ntelos pcs, page plus and a few others, only att work I've done is repairs and carrier unlocks ,as far as att service only att I've used was straight talk and few other prepaid carriers.But hey what do I know some know all models, software, and carriers right? Again good day to you and hopefully op finds what he/she looking for
    09-24-2017 10:15 AM
    When you have both functioned turned on at the same time, of course the icons are going to be there. This is nothing new.
    09-24-2017 10:40 AM
    do you have a caller ID app you use with AT&T? Usually caller ID apps need the mobile network to ID so it will keep it active (or white) but it shouldn't use data until a call comes in. Even then it would be a very minor amount to just ID the caller.
    I believe you are correct Sir. Either way, it's not something to worry about. If your phone is connected to WiFi it will be using WiFi for your streaming and downloading needs. No need to worry OP.
    Almeuit likes this.
    09-24-2017 12:27 PM
28 12