Can I make an image of my Note 8 like you can with computer hard drives?

everway9

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
Howdy. :)

I'm having my Note 8 swapped by Samsung because I found a minor imperfection on the back.

I have my Note 8 all setup the way I like it. Notification, power management, tweaked app settings etc etc all configured differently from the defaults. It took days to do everything and I"d like to avoid doing it all over again if at all possible.

Do any of you fellow droiders know of any software which will either create an image of my phone or backup absolutely everything so I can restore it to my new phone when I receive it.

The main problem is that the swap process literally is a swap. The courier brings the new one and takes the old on the same visit. So I cant copy from one to the other in real time.

I'm aware of Smart Switch but I've been told it just backs up things like photos, videos and accounts and not settings.

Any help would be really appreciated. The swaps not happening until Monday so I've a couple if days to sort something out.

Obviously if the worst happens I'll just have to back up what I can with Smart Switch and try and remember all the settings I changed. lol... that'll be fun. :D

Thanks as always. ;)

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Samsung's cloud back is pretty damn close. It doesn't do some things like the Edge panel but majority of your settings like this the home screen, texts, call logs, files and apps. If you have secure folder setup then that has it's own Samsung cloud backup too.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Take screenshots and save to a PC, they help. Otherwise, you'll be resetting most of the stuff if you lose the other phone. For a minor imperfection that would be covered up with a case anyway, I wouldn't have bothered.

everway9

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
For a minor imperfection that would be covered up with a case anyway, I wouldn't have bothered.

I'm a sucker for perfection. Especially with a phone as expensive as the Note 8 is. Plus I have pretty bad OCD and the mark just gets to me. :D

I've a case coming next week.

Yeah... screenshots... a mighty fine idea. ;)

Thanks. :)

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
When I upgraded from the S7e to my S8+ I used smartswitch and the dongle included with the S8. It copied almost everything, including settings, but as there were new ones in the S8 they still needed to be dealt with. Not sure what SS will do going to a PC.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I wish.
This still bothers me. Android has been around too long to not have a full system backup.

It's like AIX has a mksysb for rootvg but linux still doesn't.
This is probably the main reason I miss root.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Smartswitch just do a complete backup and your new phone will be same as old
Not even close. SmartSwitch does save a lot of effort, but I find there are still many account logins and passwords, device pairings, and Samsung Pay card registrations that have to be set up again. Some device settings also don't carry over (but some do).

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can image a phone as there are a number of hidden files that your PC cannot see.
It would be a nice option, though.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That’s one thing I liked on my iPhone, cloud backup. Auto backed up in background and when I had a problem with my phone, went to nearest Apple store, gave me a loaner and was restoring my phone on the loaner before I left the store. They ended up replacing and was lucky with a new phone and again restored the latest backup while I had the loaner.

I wish.
This still bothers me. Android has been around too long to not have a full system backup.

It's like AIX has a mksysb for rootvg but linux still doesn't.
This is probably the main reason I miss root.