Considering remvoing my screen protector

ezeuzo1

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
No screen protector on my note. Didn't have one on my Pixel XL or my iPhone SE and I had no problems or scratches. if I want probably going to sell the Note one day I'd go naked.

Phones used to be made of more durable stuff like plastic and rubber. But people would complain that it made the phone look/feel cheap and not "premium" enough. Now they use the more fragile, premium stuff to make phones and we like it and immediately cover them in rubber and plastic. Silliness.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Well I removed it as I was getting VERY annoyed with the debris on the edges. I must say....I am VERY glad I did. Man is it a joy to use this screen with nothing on it. It looks AMAZING!
It does, until it get scratches, I've dropped my new phone TWICE already since I got it, the screen protector shattered but the phone was intact.....glass tempered saved my phone, I bought the loyalty program at the Go Wireless Verizon store and they will exchange for free the glass protector ANYTIME for as long as I own the phone!!

The loyalty program with the glass tempered are $80 they will change your broken protector anytime as long as you Bring the broken one in.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I had the Verizon tempered glass protyector on my Note 8, and I didn't have any problems until the phone had had it on for about two weeks. Then the sensitivity was falling off, and the screen started making small clicking noises when I tapped it, which told me that the protector was lifting off the screen. So I took it off, and it's like a different phone. It is very sensitive to touch, but I feel like I have to have some sort of protection on the screen. I've been reading about the Dome, but all the reviews I've read say it doesn't work well with the Otterbox Defender. So I'm not sure what to do. I've never dropped a phone (jinxing myself here), and I've never scratched a screen, but there's always a first time.
It will scratch...it's all glass, put something on it, just for peace of mind

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
All depends on the type of user. I don't even get scratches on my phone cases so if you're a person like that you could probably get away without it. But if you're one to drop your phone all the time then a case and protector is for you.

My daughter must constantly drop her 6s. Not a cheap phone for a teen and always concerned the way her case looks but must always slip out of hand when her hands are always full of various bags and gear. So I got her a tempered glass one day cause her plastic screen protector just gets destroyed with scratches that I'm surprised she can read through it... but she dropped and cracked the tempered glass the first day lol! So I reluctantly put back another plastic screen because she feels the plastic works better for her to absorb shock. I gotta get some pics of it when I get a chance.

No screen protector on my note. Didn't have one on my Pixel XL or my iPhone SE and I had no problems or scratches. if I want probably going to sell the Note one day I'd go naked.

Phones used to be made of more durable stuff like plastic and rubber. But people would complain that it made the phone look/feel cheap and not "premium" enough. Now they use the more fragile, premium stuff to make phones and we like it and immediately cover them in rubber and plastic. Silliness.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The Whitestone protector is a really good glass protector for the Note8, but it’s also very pricey.

If you want film, the Spigen Neo Flex looks pretty solid

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Have you considered switching to a wallet style flip case? That's what I started using with the S7 Edge and really like them. No screen protector required and 360 coverage for minor drops. I've gotten one for every phone since (7 and counting lol). There are some decent ones on Amazon for about 10 bucks, but I'd recommend one with a magnetized clasp. No issues with Samsung Pay or SPen either (as long as you don't get one of the RFID protective ones).

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
If you want that "naked glass" feeling, with really great glass protection, I too suggest the Whitestone Dome Glass protector.

it does vary on which cases work best with it, but there are plenty of youtube reviews and videos on them both.

Most notably is a couple by a user named GravX. He does a couple of really great videos from the application process to a large amount of cases and compatibility. Also I think the first person I ever saw review the Whitestone Dome was U Droid Mania (I think that's his username) on Youtube.

It is a little on the high end price wise, and they don't have any kind of lifetime warranty for the product, but it seems more scratch resistant than the naked screen on the Note8. It's also a little more involved in the installation process, however, It covers all the curves very well,and it has that awesome naked feeling to it. You hardly notice it's there especially with the right case.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
The Whitestone protector is a really good glass protector for the Note8, but it’s also very pricey.

Fitted the neo flex 2 days ago & realise it can take a few days to fully dry (from what I've read/seen on video) but at present I'm hating it - s-pen feels aweful so I put it away & used fingers, which defeats the purpose (yes I have the "soft" option nib fitted) and film has more orange peel than California! Also, the film doesn't cover the edges - unlike the Samsung film on my S7 edge, so there's a noticeable step all the way around, which is even a worse when using s-pen to like bring in edge panel. So I'll give it a couple more days and see how it goes.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've got glass on mine but the Unicorn Beetle Pro case comes up and over the edges so dust can't get to them (or at least you can't see it) - makes for a nice, clean, one piece look. I actually removed the UB Pro plastic shield and just used the front frame so I could keep my tempered glass!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's why I posted pics of my screen after 5 day in post below... so people can determine themselves if the protector how it looks after 5 days. After the first two days I wasn't very excited about it and didn't like the impression using pen left. But you can see how the screen looks and put a light to it so you can see the amount of peel on it and how the impressions it clearly left are hard to see now. The white tip is designed for these type of screens so if you don't use it then it may never feel right. as for fit, you can see the pic full size but to me... it doesn't get much better than that and be case friendly.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=835547&p=5994711&viewfull=1#post5994711

Fitted the neo flex 2 days ago & realise it can take a few days to fully dry (from what I've read/seen on video) but at present I'm hating it - s-pen feels aweful so I put it away & used fingers, which defeats the purpose (yes I have the "soft" option nib fitted) and film has more orange peel than California! Also, the film doesn't cover the edges - unlike the Samsung film on my S7 edge, so there's a noticeable step all the way around, which is even a worse when using s-pen to like bring in edge panel. So I'll give it a couple more days and see how it goes.

Attachments

• 76821520-870C-4133-AF2B-2EE8B1B3434C.jpg
    76821520-870C-4133-AF2B-2EE8B1B3434C.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 76
  • F9611E67-AE9C-4AC3-818E-D1A69C755DB8.jpg
    F9611E67-AE9C-4AC3-818E-D1A69C755DB8.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 73

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Well still going with the neo flex, what's that, 5 days. The orange peel looks aweful and DOES affect the viewing quality a LOT & I still hate that step up all the way around the edges. The darker s-pen tip works "better" - glides better & doesn't indent so much, but nowhere near as fluid as naked. In the absence of anything else I'm leaving it on mainly because I use Samsung clear view wallet case and when in pocket it can get sand/whatever between cover and screen, as I found out on my S7 edge. Hopefully Samsung will release their own film cover soon, as I know that was awesome on S7 Edge and on note 7.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

I use the Whitestone screen protector. BUt screwed up the install, so it has a few air bubbles, but can't notice them unless I shut off the screen. I like it, but the glue stinks.. (Smells bad)

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I use the Whitestone, I consider it the best of the best. And I have wasted hundreds over the years. But be very carefull during the install. Very, very carefull. Clean up is a mess if your not...

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
That's why I posted pics of my screen after 5 day in post below... so people can determine themselves if the protector how it looks after 5 days. After the first two days I wasn't very excited about it and didn't like the impression using pen left. But you can see how the screen looks and put a light to it so you can see the amount of peel on it and how the impressions it clearly left are hard to see now. The white tip is designed for these type of screens so if you don't use it then it may never feel right. as for fit, you can see the pic full size but to me... it doesn't get much better than that and be case friendly.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=835547&p=5994711&viewfull=1#post5994711
I've tried both tips and darker tip works way better, go figure. Light tip leaves real indents in the film and grabs a lot when trying to write. Dark tip grabs and is woeful too but to a lesser degree. The orange peel still looks aweful and detracts viewing but at least it's stuck well and will suffice until something better is available, hopefully a Samsung film. Really disappointed with spigen, I've only ever bought 3 of their products - a phone cradle for car which fell off when the temp reached only warm so I threw it out & wasted $30, their wallet case for note 7 was good, and now this screen protector which is crap. Don't think I'll bother with them anymore.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear not working out. I’m having completely opposite experience. After a couple of weeks using full time and carrying it in this Florida weather I think it’s ‘cured’ all it’s going to and really happy how it feels. Took some pics of it tonight to try to give as accurate representation how the screen looks.

The peel is noticeable if you really look at it or under light but try to show any impressions the pen made in beginning... and they were VERY noticeable in the beginning and able to read the words I was writing in the protector... but hope you can see are barely noticeable at all now.

And maybe after a few more weeks just for giggles try the white tip again... I don’t know if it’s just over more use but for me it’s become really smooth over the screen now.

Could be variations in manufacturing :/ But protectors can be a matter of personal preference too and feel differs from one person to another. Some may prefer a plastic that doesn’t have the amount of peel this will have so that’s why I try to show it under light but also provide a straight on shot to show it doesn’t really show when viewing directly or cause any waves or distortions.

I’m kinda wondering if this TPU style screen will yellow over time so I’ll probably cause the second one in 6 months to maintain clarity or try another one if someone here reviews one that sound as good. I wish Samsung would have made one for the Note 8 I’d give it a try.

Let us know if you find a better one to try.

I've tried both tips and darker tip works way better, go figure. Light tip leaves real indents in the film and grabs a lot when trying to write. Dark tip grabs and is woeful too but to a lesser degree. The orange peel still looks aweful and detracts viewing but at least it's stuck well and will suffice until something better is available, hopefully a Samsung film. Really disappointed with spigen, I've only ever bought 3 of their products - a phone cradle for car which fell off when the temp reached only warm so I threw it out & wasted $30, their wallet case for note 7 was good, and now this screen protector which is crap. Don't think I'll bother with them anymore.

Attachments

• 37FD11DC-3101-4118-99B9-774A53487F91.jpg
    37FD11DC-3101-4118-99B9-774A53487F91.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 51
  • 805E7D98-15BD-4AC5-8DAD-38576FDA2388.jpg
    805E7D98-15BD-4AC5-8DAD-38576FDA2388.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 52
  • E48CAD0D-EF94-4007-A625-9BC99DF5DE4E.jpg
    E48CAD0D-EF94-4007-A625-9BC99DF5DE4E.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 52

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to hear not working out. I’m having completely opposite experience. After a couple of weeks using full time and carrying it in this Florida weather I think it’s ‘cured’ all it’s going to and really happy how it feels. Took some pics of it tonight to try to give as accurate representation how the screen looks.

The peel is noticeable if you really look at it or under light but try to show any impressions the pen made in beginning... and they were VERY noticeable in the beginning and able to read the words I was writing in the protector... but hope you can see are barely noticeable at all now.

And maybe after a few more weeks just for giggles try the white tip again... I don’t know if it’s just over more use but for me it’s become really smooth over the screen now.

Could be variations in manufacturing :/ But protectors can be a matter of personal preference too and feel differs from one person to another. Some may prefer a plastic that doesn’t have the amount of peel this will have so that’s why I try to show it under light but also provide a straight on shot to show it doesn’t really show when viewing directly or cause any waves or distortions.

I’m kinda wondering if this TPU style screen will yellow over time so I’ll probably cause the second one in 6 months to maintain clarity or try another one if someone here reviews one that sound as good. I wish Samsung would have made one for the Note 8 I’d give it a try.

Let us know if you find a better one to try.
Yeah, I will try the other nib in the future, just in case this film hardens more, although after 1-2 weeks I would have thought that's it. I see the oranges in your photos very clearly. I've never had this effect b4 using either the genuine Samsung film or zagg invisible, which as far as I'm aware are still unavailable for note 8, so maybe I just have higher expectations. Anyway I'll keep hoping those other 2 become available.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I had the Neo Flex screen protector on, but last week I decided to remove it. The difference is very noticeable. It's the first screen protector I've used that is a wet install, all my other Spigen screen protectors have been dry.
The orange peel effect wasn't nice to look at under certain light conditions and the edge of the Neo Flex could easily be felt when using the edge app. It stayed on fine but after about 2 weeks I removed it.
I have had screen protectors on all my phone's but my last phone I removed it for the last 6 months to appreciate the screen before it was moved on, so this is one reason I've done the same with the Note 8.
The screen is gorgeous, im going to enjoy it in the flesh this time:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user